walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

A Picture Postcard from Ullswater


by SusieThePensioner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Date walked: 12/02/2012

Distance: 2 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby garyhortop » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Susie, Not sure about lessons just yet (as business is not as good as was) but I am thinking of investing in a new camera as mine is becomeing increasingly unreliable!! So any tips on a good mid price camera for this sort of thing would be really welcome!
garyhortop
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 313
Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   
Joined: Sep 18, 2011

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 am

2kn walk..............impressive,why...........................its 2km more than me in the last 10 weeks.

Nice pics by the way.
User avatar
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3402
Munros:274   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Joined: Jan 30, 2010
Location: Central Region
Walk wish-list

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby charliebloke1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Susie,

I have to admit to having a proper jaw-dropping moment, shortly followed by an outburst of superlatives, when I scrolled down to the first picture.

Simply stunning! :clap:
User avatar
charliebloke1
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 54
Munros:11   
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   
Joined: May 12, 2011
Location: Worcestershire

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:2kn walk..............impressive,why...........................its 2km more than me in the last 10 weeks.

Nice pics by the way.
Thanks Willie. I didn't use any filters for the first three with the reflections :lol:

charliebloke1 wrote:I have to admit to having a proper jaw-dropping moment, shortly followed by an outburst of superlatives, when I scrolled down to the first picture.

Simply stunning!
Thank you, I really appreciate your comments :D

garyhortop wrote:So any tips on a good mid price camera for this sort of thing would be really welcome!

I'll send you a PM Gary :)
User avatar
SusieThePensioner
 
Posts: 1543
Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   
Joined: Sep 7, 2011
Location: County Durham

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Whoa !!!!! go girlfriend, loving the work, and I know you loved every minute of your trip :) :)
The first pic really floats my boat (ha ha ha)
Puts my feeble efforts in the shade.

Take care

Jim
User avatar
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 307
Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
Location: West Lothian

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:loving the work

Thank you, Jim :wave:

MarilynMunro wrote:The first pic really floats my boat (ha ha ha)

Don't you mean your rigg now?? :lol: BTW that's my favourite :D

MarilynMunro wrote:Puts my feeble efforts in the shade
Too modest. Still waiting for the ones of you from your Pentlands Jaunt :wink:
User avatar
SusieThePensioner
 
Posts: 1543
Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   
Joined: Sep 7, 2011
Location: County Durham

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby Phooooey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Stunning ! I'm going to have to check where you are heading in future as on ALL my trips Ullswater way (and there have been many), I've not once seen it as placid and calm as in your photos. Looks like you enjoyed your week. Damson & I are looking forward to your next foray ! :)
User avatar
Phooooey
 
Posts: 244
Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   
Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Location: Dalton -In-Furness

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Phooooey wrote:Stunning ! I'm going to have to check where you are heading in future as on ALL my trips Ullswater way (and there have been many), I've not once seen it as placid and calm as in your photos. Looks like you enjoyed your week. Damson & I are looking forward to your next foray !


Thanks Craig :D Mental note for you, we're off to Sawrey Ground, near Tarn Hows, next. Stay at the B & B there every Easter :lol:
User avatar
SusieThePensioner
 
Posts: 1543
Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   
Joined: Sep 7, 2011
Location: County Durham

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby Torridon_snails » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Dear Susie,

Wonderful photos, as always - so atmospheric and the reflections are amazing. This is a real tonic to look at!

We do hope you're well. We're not able to spend much time on WalkHighlands at the moment as work is still very busy, but are hoping to post another couple of reports soon. Also thinking about Torridon as I (Daniel) am preparing for a performance of a piece of music I wrote about it - really it's just a bit of context for Murdoch MacDonald's writing. It's for speaker, choir and oboe, so there's been quite a lot of work to get it printed and do some outline practice recordings etc.

With our best wishes,

Daniel and Clare.
User avatar
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 109
Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   
Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Location: Kirkstall, Yorkshire

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:Dear Susie,

Wonderful photos, as always - so atmospheric and the reflections are amazing. This is a real tonic to look at!

We do hope you're well. We're not able to spend much time on WalkHighlands at the moment as work is still very busy, but are hoping to post another couple of reports soon. Also thinking about Torridon as I (Daniel) am preparing for a performance of a piece of music I wrote about it - really it's just a bit of context for Murdoch MacDonald's writing. It's for speaker, choir and oboe, so there's been quite a lot of work to get it printed and do some outline practice recordings etc.

With our best wishes,

Daniel and Clare.


How lovely to hear from you both again. Thank you for your kind comments. I will look forward to reading your next report as they are always extremely interesting and entertaining :)
Yes, I'm well now (touch wood) but suffered from a viral chest infection for a couple of months earlier in the year!!
The music sounds a wonderful project :D I've just had my piano tuned, after 6 years, and am playing again. When I became disabled I lost interest and didn't bother but am so pleased to have got it sorted out :D A friend (from WH) gave me the spurt to arrange for it to be tuned!! Happy days :D

Best wishes to you both.
User avatar
SusieThePensioner
 
Posts: 1543
Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   
Joined: Sep 7, 2011
Location: County Durham

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby Torridon_snails » Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:
How lovely to hear from you both again. Thank you for your kind comments. I will look forward to reading your next report as they are always extremely interesting and entertaining :)
Yes, I'm well now (touch wood) but suffered from a viral chest infection for a couple of months earlier in the year!!
The music sounds a wonderful project :D I've just had my piano tuned, after 6 years, and am playing again. When I became disabled I lost interest and didn't bother but am so pleased to have got it sorted out :D A friend (from WH) gave me the spurt to arrange for it to be tuned!! Happy days :D

Best wishes to you both.


Hi Susie,

Many thanks. It's great to hear that you're playing the piano. Piano is my (Daniel's) main occupation, although I spend quite a lot of time organising student performances (which I also accompany - that's the core of my job), and associated tuition etc.

We had a quick look at your website which looks fantastic. We hope to have a better look at it soon. It's very well organised. Ours is a bit of sprawl, it's main purpose so far being to store photos etc. for our WalkHighlands posts, and a few other bits and pieces. I might post a recording of my piece on it, but probably only a piano-version of it... It's quite a serious classical piece, but the value of it lies not in my work, but in the text, which I've taken from Murdoch MacDonald's writings on Torridon....

If it's of any interest, I'll do a webpage on it and P.M. it to you. We also posted to Morag (Morag1) about it, but haven't been in touch with anyone else on WalkHighlands - it was only chat anyway, partly explaining why we're not spending much time on the forum... I think that there are quite a few musicians on the forum, though. OldMan, for example, and his daughter who is a professional flautist...

We look forward to your next report and amazing photos - do keep posting them!

Best wishes,

Daniel and Clare
User avatar
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 109
Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   
Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Location: Kirkstall, Yorkshire

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm a viola player - does that count?
User avatar
mrssanta
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 3095
Munros:265   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8
Joined: Jul 18, 2011
Location: north yorkshire moors

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun May 06, 2012 5:12 pm

mrssanta wrote:I'm a viola player - does that count?


I should think so :D We'll have to organise our own concert :lol:
User avatar
SusieThePensioner
 
Posts: 1543
Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   
Joined: Sep 7, 2011
Location: County Durham

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun May 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Torridon_snails wrote:If it's of any interest, I'll do a webpage on it and P.M. it to you.


That would be lovely, yes please :D
User avatar
SusieThePensioner
 
Posts: 1543
Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   
Joined: Sep 7, 2011
Location: County Durham

Re: A Picture Postcard from Ullswater

Postby Torridon_snails » Thu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
Torridon_snails wrote:If it's of any interest, I'll do a webpage on it and P.M. it to you.


That would be lovely, yes please :D


Many thanks - I'll sort something as soon as this year's final recitals are done and dusted...

Thanks again for the photos!

All the best,

Daniel and Clare.
User avatar
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 109
Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   
Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Location: Kirkstall, Yorkshire

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests