walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lyke Wake Walk

The Lyke Wake Walk

Postby pic4186 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Date walked: 05/09/2009

Time taken: 20

Distance: 70 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

No Wainrights or Hewitts bagged on this occasion I'm afraid - so I'm not sure if this one counts (?). We did however take in several minor peaks on our route and climbed a total of almost 6,000 feet from start to finish (!).

For those not familiar with the Lyke Wake Walk, it is a 40 mile crossing of the North Yorkshire Moors from Osmotherley in the West to Ravenscar by the sea in the East. You can travel the route in either direction and by completing the walk in under 24 hours you are entitled to join the Lyke Wake Club (see http://www.lykewake.org).

Because of the distance and duration, and the need to complete some of the walk at night, most people use a support crew to carry spare food, drink and changes of clothes. There are 6 recommended checkpoints along the route, where a road crosses the walkers path.

This was in fact our second attempt. We came close to finishing in January this year but had to give up when darkness came in for a second time making navigation in the critical closing miles extremely difficult. By this time fatigue and cold had also taken their toll. Still, we learned a lot of valuable less for this successful attempt.

We started our crossing at 8pm on Saturday evening - 3 walkers and a 1 man support team. There is a tricky piece of navigation not far from the start and our plan was to get through this section before it became completely dark. This start time also meant we could use all 24 hours available if necessary without it getting dark for a second time.

The route changes personality as it progresses. The first quarter of the walk (when starting from the West) is the hilliest, comprising a succession of short-sharp ascents and descents with a little walking through forests in between. To give you an idea of the extent of the climbing - we ascended over 4,000 feet in these first 10 miles!

The second 10 miles - taking us to the half-way point - is a high moorland walk. It begins with the longest steepest climb of the walk and then levels out into a long easy stretch on good moorland paths. This is also the fastest part of the course (and to be honest the only part where walking is straightforward).

This was also (as it was 1st time around) my favourite part of the walk. Because the underfoot conditions were good and pretty consistent it gave the best opportunity to take in the scene around us (not having to be always looking where we were treading). There was hardly a cloud in the sky and it was a full moon - visibility was so good we were able to walk long sections without using our head-torches. Being on the high moor in the middle of the night - in the middle of nowhere - is a magical experience I would recommend to everyone.

IMG_0491 Full moon over Whorlton moor.JPG

IMG_0512 Bloworth Crossing.JPG

IMG_0521 First signs of sunrise (Farndale Moor).JPG

The first half ends at Checkpoint 3 on the road between Hutton le Hole and Castleton - about a mile north of the Lion Inn (a fine hostelry, but sadly not open at 4am on Sunday morning). Time for a breakfast of sandwiches and soup kindly prepared by our one-man-support-team. We were a little ahead of schedule and all feeling pretty good despite 20 miles of hard walking through the night.

The half way point also meant that most of the hard climbing was over and the route was predominantly down-hill for the remainder of the walk. Downhill should not by mistaken for "easy" though - and the second half of the walk is considerably tougher than the first - mainly due to more difficult under-foot conditions.

The first section after half way is just 5 miles, and notorious for being the "boggy section". It is even mentioned in the official guide as such. It was at this stage the first time around that we lost a lot of time and finished the section in some distress. This time we were ready. We had decided to keep as straight a course as possible and not deviate in search of dryer land. This meant we got a little wetter then we might have but we finished the section in good time and in good shape.

IMG_0525 Ghostly Fat Betty.JPG

It was during this section that the sun rose on Sunday morning, making for some spectacular light-shows as we headed east. This really is a bleak and wonderful place.

IMG_0529 Sunrise over the bog.JPG

IMG_0540 East from Shunner Howe.JPG

IMG_0541 The road ahead (near Shunner Howe).JPG

25 miles down and looking good. This is where the walk really starts. The next two sections, covering 13 miles, are brutally tough. In places there is simply no path - you are wading through thigh-high heather with unsure footing - not sure whether you're going to stumble over a rock or sink to your knees in bog at each step. For much of the way there are paths but again punctuated with rocks, pools and mud - usually winding and the route ahead often hidden until you're upon it. All this meant it was impossible to make even pace - with constant changes of gait and direction. Our pace slowed progressively and exhaustion crept up on us.

To add insult to injury there are a couple of what can best be described as ravines - at 32 miles and 36 miles - very step descents into a valley and an immediate climb out the other side. The very last thing you need when travelling on auto-pilot just to keep moving forward.

IMG_0548 Civilisation of sorts (see from Simon Howe).JPG

It was during this time that we each went through our own trials of physical and mental challenges. Bodies stiffened, muscles and tendons popped, blisters formed, and the impact of a night without sleep and far too many hours hard labour beat up on us. Each checkpoint was an exercise in reparing injuries, looseing tight bodies, and going through mental preparations for more toil.

At around 35 miles the final significant high-point is reached - Lilla Howe. From here you can see the sea - and the radio mast in Ravenscar signifying the end of the walk. The thing is it seems so far distant that it is not the motivational sight you might think it should be (quite the reverse!). It was here we looked at each other and swore never again to visit this part of the world!!

IMG_0552 The sea from Lilla Howe.JPG

The final checkpoint is at 38 miles. It's really there so that the walkers can drop all their gear with the support team and travel light for the easy final two miles up to the finishing mast. I am pleased to report that one of our team made it all the way to the mast. As a gesture of defiance I decided to pull out at 38 miles - I had pushed myself harder than I had ever done before and proven everything to myself that I was ever going to prove on that day. This was my gesture of defiance - my "two fingers" to this beast of a challenge. I decided that I didn't need to join the club - I knew I'd done it.

So, one week on, what to make of the Lyke Wake Walk? There are a very small number of individuals who would regard the LWW as little more than a mid-distance hike - they are a special breed and few and far between. For us it was a massive challenge - right near the edge of what we are able to achieve in one day. This must be one of the toughest 40 miles in England. I suspect this would be the case for most who attempt it.

Anyway - funny how time heals - we are currently planning another crossing next spring - this time in the opposite direction. It seems there is something addictive about the Lyke Wake Walk!
pic4186

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:52   

Re: The Lyke Wake Walk

Postby mountain coward » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 am

We did it in June so didn't need to walk any of it in daylight (not this June)... I hated it personally as most of it looked the same for 40 miles! I was delighted to see the 'golf balls' as Fylingdales was at the time (I preferred those) as they broke up the monotony and provided some 'excitement'. The start of the walk near Osmotherley was nice though and I do actually like the North York Moors - just not 40 miles of them at once!! There was me and my friend Isobel walking and her parents bringing food to every point where we crossed a road - we were so bored all we could think about was food - so much so that places on the map became allied to food, e.g. Egton Bridge became 'Eggs and bacon' :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 pm

I too had an unsuccesful January attempt on this (are we mad?) Started off great on the first bit along the Moors escarpment - the best bit of walking on all the NY Moors in my opinion - even Middleborough looked great from a distance at night :D But the next day basically failed to dawn; by the time we were at Blakey it was hailing hard and we bailed out down into Rosedale.

Top effort to finish it the thing :clap:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby pic4186 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Paul

Got to agree with you. January is a crazy time to try it, certainly for a first crossing. Not enough daylight and the conditions are always against you. Now that you mention it Middlesboro does take on a romantic quality viewed from that distance in the dark!

MC
Good observation - and one that I hadn't thought of. Usually there is a lot of payback when walking in the hills that seems to make the miles seem easier. With the Lyke Wake Walk - especially if you do the most attractive parts at night (!) - there just isn't. Certainly the second half lacks much in the way of variation of scenery. I guess this just adds to the mental effort required. The first sighting of the sea is perhaps the high-point, but even that novelty wears off pretty quickly.
pic4186

Postby mountain coward » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:20 am

Well done for doing it anyway. What's next? Wainwright's Coast to Coast or The West Highland Way? :D
mountain coward

Postby pic4186 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks MC. I think I might give the long distance stuff a bit of a break - it's back to the hills for me. Next outing is likely to be Skiddaw via Ullock Pike. Some mates of mine saw the photos I took from Skiddaw (going up the usual route) the other month and want to give it a go. Probably try to find a decent pub / inn to stay at somewhere around Ravenstone or Bassenthwaite and make a weekend of it :) . As a sort of local - can you recommend anywhere?
pic4186

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Well I stay in my caravan when I'm in that immediate area - the nearest I know of is the Coledale Inn at Braithwaite - good accommodation, traditional inn, real ales (good ones too my buddy Richard says) and nice puds (sez I :D ) - the main courses are pretty okay too :D
mountain coward

Postby monty » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi pic4186,
What can I say. Very impressive. crazy man :lol: :lol: well done
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland