walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hanging stone N yorks

Hanging stone N yorks

Postby coldwetandhungry » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Date walked: 18/02/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8.65 km

Ascent: 320m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

would have been quite happy sitting at home on the last couple of days of half term, but I suppose a walk was nice too. Decided to go to the hanging stone near Guisborough, about three or four miles from home in great ayton.

Hanging_st.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

anyway set off up the cut and into the lovely fields of the north yorkshire moors national park :D
we went straight up through the woods and stopped at a nice tarzie on the way through.
P2180347.JPG
me on the tarzie in the woods

i had a quick go but was interuppted by some boys waiting to use it! :shock:
we went straight through and out the top of the woods, back into lovely rolling field country.
P2180349.JPG
the fields at the top of the woods with roseberry topping in the background. Airyholme farm(where captain cook used to work as a boy) is off to the right.

we went plodding on up the track to the right of roseberry topping and up little roseberry, where we turned left. Mum said it was too exposed to stop, so we would wait for our hot drink until we got to the "woods". Unfortunately, there has been some major tree felling, so these woods weren't exactly woods until a lot further down. :(
P2180361.JPG
me and father in the "woods"

fortunately, the hanging stone with woods below weren't too far off, so it was a short and hasty walk to get there and down the hill into the actual woods! :D
P2180363.JPG
me on the hanging stone

P2180362.JPG
ma on the top

after a quick photo on the top (dad moaning at us to hurry up the whole time) we made our way down the hill a bit and into the proper woods. Shelter at last. :lol: we stopped for a cuppa just off the path. I brought a flask of hot water but mum and dad were wanting a shottie with their wee stoves, so they brought a stove each, some teabags and dad brought his coffee pot for making espresso :shock: :shock: . Strangely enough I had finished my instant hot choccie before their water was even boiled! Ate some chocolates for sugar fix and we were on our way again.
P2180368.JPG
after our journey through the woods. The hill in the back is roseberry again, except from the other side.

after a nice escapade with dad trying to push me over in a nice bog, we were on our way again. Dad left us for a trip up the topping(and try and meet us on the way down).
me and mum just plodded on... down a lovely path with a very odd tree....
P2180373.JPG
the very odd tree. If you squint you can see the wainstones in the distance.

dad met us where our two paths converged and we went back down through the lovely fields and the woods again. The man who lives next to the cut has very odd opinions on security apparently...
P2180386.JPG
they make odd noises as you go past...

its really not a bad place to live this...
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Hanging stone N yorks

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:09 pm

would have been quite happy sitting at home on the last couple of days of half term

Great stuff CW&H, good to see you so keen to get out :lol: I've been to Guisborough dozens of times but never got around to making my way up here. Some lovely pics but as you are in most of em I think credit must go to your dad :wink: anyway, thanks for jogging some wonderful memories of North Yorks for me :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby coldwetandhungry » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:25 pm

ooh me mum wont like that :lol: :lol: :lol:
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Postby morag1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 am

Lovely photos of a great day out :thumbup:

I spent a very happy week in Yorkshire with my family a few years ago and we went walking everyday.

Pleae give my best wishes to your mum, I know how much she likes to get out in the countryside :D
morag1

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Great report and some lovely photos :thumbup: Glad you made the most of the end of half term :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby coldwetandhungry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

morag1 wrote:Pleae give my best wishes to your mum, I know how much she likes to get out in the countryside :D

she says: oh thats nice!! :lol: :lol:
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm

thanks Morag, it's especially lovely to get out with the younger members and see them really having fun.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland