walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Panorama Trail, Yosemite Valley

Panorama Trail, Yosemite Valley

Postby mrssanta » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Date walked: 12/08/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Summer 2010 was our last summer before number one son set off for University, and we decided to have a "normal" family holiday, instead of our usual habit of visiting relatives in various parts of Scotland. so we had a family discussion about where we might go, perhaps France or Spain. the kids decided that the place to go was Yosemite National Park. Righto then, we will just empty the savings bank and we can just about afford the air fare, but we will have to camp as there is no way we can afford accommodation as well.
It was a fabulous holiday. the Americans certainly know how to camp. we stayed in National Park campsites which we had to book five months in advance, and on the day booking opened the only place we could get was an hour's drive from Yosemite Valley but it suited us just fine. Older son wanted to go climbing, daughter wanted to ride a horse, younger son wasn't that bothered as long as he got to see the General Sherman Tree - the largest tree in the world - not far away in Sequoia national park, and husband wanted to go into the wilderness and camp. Me, I wanted to go up Half Dome, but that's another story.
so this is a report of the walk we took from Glacier Point at 7214 feet back down to Yosemite Valley at 3500 feet over about ten miles or so.

we took a bus trip up to Glacier Point, which was an experience in itself. the bus driver told us a lot about the history of the area and the importance of natural forest fires to the diversity of the forests and ground cover plants. he dropped us off to make our own ways down
from Glacier Point01.jpg
the short way down from glacier point - straight down nearly 4 thousand feet!!

the views from here were absolutely tremendous, across the glacial trench of Yosemite valley and over to Half Dome.
from Glacier Point03.jpg
Across the valley, Yosemite Falls on the left, Cathedral Arches in the middle and Tenaya Canyon on the right

from Glacier Point10.jpg
north Dome on the left, and the side of Half Dome on the right.

And Half Dome dominating the views all the way from different aspects. what an amazing spectacle it is.
from Glacier Point08.jpg
Half Dome from Glacier Point

and then to the right of Half Dome the enormous cascades of Nevada Fall above and Vernal Fall below.
from Glacier Point04.jpg
half dome again, vernal and nevada falls

from Glacier Point06.jpg
Nevada Falls, Vernal Falls

the other thing we learnt on the bus was how to distinguish a Jeffrey Pine from a Lodgepole, the former smells of chocolate.
sniffing the Jeffrey Pine01.jpg
sniffing the jeffrey pine

and all this before even setting off on our walk!!
Anyway, the path soon led us along the edge of a cliff then down a lovely path through open pine forests with fabulous views. It was hot and we were glad to be going mainly downhill.
nevada and vernal falls1.jpg
the Falls from the edge of the cliff

Half dome from panorama trail2.jpg
half dome from further round the trail.

we were aiming for the bridge above Illilouette Falls for a picnic lunch,
illilouette falls.jpg
Illilouette Falls through the trees

we're not used to all this unbroken hot sunshine, and we opted to sit under the trees on the near bank of the river rather than cross over and sit in the sunshine. we'd just got ourselves sat down with our butties when we heard shouts across the water - somebody had spotted bears coming down the hill behind us and we hadn't. Quickly we stuffed all our things into rucksacks and rushed across the bridge. I don't think the bears had spotted us, but if they had they would certainly want our picnics. Panic over, we had a fantastic view across the water of a mummy bear and two cubs rootling around where we had been sitting.
Unfortunately in the rush I could not find my camera anywhere. We looked all over the place, in the river, in all the rucksacks, around the rocks, back at the picnic place (once the bears had ambled off again) but no sign and I though it was lost. (Happily it turned up later in the bottom of my son's rucksack). so the pictures after this are from my son's camera, quality not as good but better than nowt.
68808_490050756014_714526014_7155139_8143079_n.jpg
honestly there is a bear in this pic, perched on top of the rock above the warning sign

Another three miles or so following the trail around the side of the mountain, till the point which my husband left me with the kids to go off on his two night adventure in the wilderness. At this point we joined the John Muir trail to the top of Vernal Fall and then the Mist Trail down to the valley.
67634_490050791014_714526014_7155140_6076519_n.jpg
Looking down Yosemite Valley, Glacier point on the left

71632_490050836014_714526014_7155141_2935885_n.jpg
Nevada Fall from the John Muir Trail

71943_490050866014_714526014_7155142_7288883_n.jpg
Huge cliffs

in yosemite shop.jpg
Rubbish picture, but pleased to see this in Yosemite Village shop

All these amazing and enormous waterfalls are fed mainly by snow melt and the ground everywhere was very dry. It's much harder on your feet than good Scottish bog, but an experience I will never forget.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Panorama Trail, Yosemite Valley

Postby morag1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Great memories of an amazing place :D
morag1

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Looks spectacular :)

Did you do Half Dome then? That's something I'd love to see (and do as well).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 pm

no sadly, we didn't make it to the top of half dome. I was supposed to go with the boys but I couldnt get them out of bed early enough, you have to start before it is light to get the most exposed bit done out of the heat of the day.
We got about half way and realised we were not going to have time.
that means I get to go back! perhaps when the kids have left home I'll go back with the other half.
This is me at the point where we turned back. I was very hot! Still a fantastic day at Vernal and Nevada falls and beyond.
was it half dome or bust.jpg

vernal falls on way down02.jpg
bottom of vernal fall. earlier in the season you will get soaked here, we just got a rainbow.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 am

Great report and photos Mrs Santa (though I'll have to take your word for there being a bear :lol: ) I have literally just arrived in California this evening ...I have no need to worry about the heat of the sun though :( but the Pacific Coast Highway still looks pretty good without it :D

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby fraochydug » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Yosemite looks stunning! i dont like the idea of bears though :shock:
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:31 pm

The black bears in Yosemite are mostly interested in food, not aggressive like brown bears but they can be very destructive to property. it's a pain having to put everything with a scent in a locker all the time and it is not advisable to let them get close!! But apparently the only animal that has killed any humans in Yosemite in recent years is a jackass deer - they let you get close to them then kick without warning. And they look so cute, quite small with ears like donkeys.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Great stuff! Sounds like a fantastic holiday to have.

I went to Yosemite in '96, utterly amazing place, and it wasn't difficult to get away from the hordes. We didn't do the same trail, but we did Glacier Point then walked up to Sentinel dome and around a loop. We also walked up to just above Vernal Falls. All fantastic.

We too ended up camping a fair way out (Crane Flats I think), but it really didn't matter, and it meant we could also get to the Tuolumne Meadows area, which still to this day stands out in my mind as one of the very few most beautiful places I have ever been.

Thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mrssanta » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks Mal.
We also went to Tuolomne meadows, which was quite different and much more peaceful. I'd love to go back some day, but will have to do a lot of saving up first. I would definitely camp again.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby KeithS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 am

Mrssanta

Awesome pictures! :clap:

What an amazing area, I would love to see it.

Looks like you had a fantastic time.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby maryhillmoose » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Wow, what a brilliant report, just spotted it now :clap:
We are off to California for 3 weeks at the end of August and are backpacking the first 60 miles of the John Muir Trail inc Half Dome - your pics have made me super excited!!!!
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Indeed, what a great report! Stunning place... it's already on my list of places to get to while I'm living the in the US... will move it further up the list now...
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby raykilhams » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Loved report , brought back good memories .Went to Yosemite 2012 , did a bit of walking up to nevada falls , would have loved to stayed longer , but had to move on to death valley , the place is just superb , even saw a bear ( kept my distance) . If anyone's thinking of doing Half Dome it's important to make sure permits are avaiable , as there's a day limit on how many people can take the tourist route , ( the only other way up is to climb it , and that's only for experienced mountaineers)
Thanks again
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Stunning photo of an amazing looking place, love the rainbow at the bottom of the falls.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland