walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Raisdale Round - North Yorks Moors

Raisdale Round - North Yorks Moors

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Date walked: 28/03/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 630m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the amazing March weather holding I decided to make the most of it and head on down to the North Yorks Moors on my day off to take advantage. I haven't previously done reports on my solo walks but I thought this route was a cracker and worth sharing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked up at the car park at Chop Gate on what was already a warm day and set off up the lane towards Noon Hill. The lane soon gave way to a grooved grassy path which was fairly steep but soon saw fine views open up over Bilsdale. It was hard work in the morning heat and I was wondering if the ten mile route I had planned might be a bit much given I only had a limited amount of time.

IMG_8836.JPG
Climbing up Noon Hill

IMG_8842.JPG
Hughie finding it hot work

IMG_8843.JPG
Looking back to Chop Gate in Bilsdale

Soon enough however I reached to moor top and I could start to regain my breath upon reaching the high point of Cock Howe.

IMG_8848.JPG
Cock Howe

From here I picked up the track towards the other "top" of Noon Hill, Green How with its strange holed summit marker. Any doubts about managing the route in the time I had evaporated as I started to make excellent progress along the flat easy track. Despite the NYM being an artificial landscape in many ways it's hard not to feel a huge amount of freedom when walking over its moorland tracks. The routes stretch out for miles and the walking is so easy on a day like today it can be truly blissful.
Soon enough the track started it's gentle descent towards Barker's Ridge. From here new views down Scugdale opened up as well as the remainder of my planned walk over Carlton, Cringle and Cold Moors with the Cleveland Matterhorn shimmering in the haze.

IMG_8850.JPG
Green Howe

IMG_8854.JPG
Cringle and Cold moor with Roseberry Topping between

IMG_8853.JPG
Easy walking on the moor

IMG_8857.JPG
Scugdale from Barker's Ridge

Ahead of me I could see Barker's Crags (no I've no idea who Barker was) which is allegedly a popular area for local climbers but in all honesty it looked a bit underwhelming.

IMG_8873.JPG
Looking across Scugdale from above Barker's Crags

After passing through the crags it was a gentle ascent past Brian's Pond (Brian Barker?), one of a few small tarns in the moors, and up towards the defunct Carlton Moor gliding club premises.

IMG_8875.JPG
Brian's Pond

IMG_8863.JPG
A Local struts his stuff

It's hard to believe that as recently as 2008 they were managing to have gliders take off from what passed for a runway. It's already very uneven and rocky (for a runway) and perhaps it was the cost of repairs that led to the closure, who knows.

IMG_8882.JPG
Gliding club across the runways.

After crossing the former runways I joined up with the Cleveland Way (and C2C) which gave me more views over the flat plain of the vale of Mowbray.
The top of Carlton Moor is one of the best in the Moors as due to the steep craggy northern moor end it has the feel and views of a real hill.

IMG_8887.JPG
Carlton Moor summit

In between Carlton Moor and my next target of Cringle Moor there is a small Cafe called the Lord Stones. It's a really interesting building built into the hillside and a tempting stopping point but as I wasn't sure if it had reopened following refurbishments this winter (and I didn't have the time to be honest) I carried on to my penultimate ascent of the day up Cringle Moor.

IMG_8889.JPG
Carlton Moor from the Cleveland Way

A few rests later I reached the viewpoint at the Western edge of the Northern escarpment of the moor. Positioned on this view point is a large stone armchair and a viewpoint indicator dedicated to Alec Falconer - Rambler. He must have been a very well loved and respected man in these parts to get such a wonderful tribute. Many of the points of interest on the plaque aren't quite visible today but on a clear day it's possible to see a very long way indeed. I enjoyed my ham and pease pudding buttie at this fine location before moving off to allow another walker time to enjoy a sit down while enjoying the view.

IMG_8893.JPG
Looking across to Rosebery Topping

IMG_8898.JPG
Stone armchair on Cringle Moor

IMG_8899.JPG
Looking back to the viewpoint

The summit of the moor (Drake Howe) isn't on the Cleveland Way path but a short distance from it. I gave it a miss today as I didn't have the time and in all honesty the views from the path are better. Soon enough I was facing my final ascent of the day up Cold Moor who's heathery ridge I would follow back to Chop Gate and the car.

IMG_8911.JPG
Looking back to Cringle Moor

IMG_8912.JPG
Last Climb of the day up Cold Moor

It would be possible (and if time allowed preferable) to continue following the Cleveland Way on to the Wainstones, down to Clay Bank Top and up the Carr Ridge to make your way back to Chop Gate via the Western edge of Urra Moor.
I did spend a few moments wistfully looking at the Wainstones but common sense prevailed and I started off on the narrow path through the heather along Cold Moor.

IMG_8917.JPG
Wainstones from Cold Moor summit...

IMG_8925.JPG
...and a close up from along Cold Moor's ridge

Turns out this way was a fine route anyway with good views to both sides as I made the gradual descent down the moor. Only problem was having the proverbial scared out of me several times by exploding pheasants. Quite why they hide until you almost step on them before Flying off in a frenzy of feathers and squawks is beyond me. :evil: The path eventually led to Cold Moor Lane and back to the car.

IMG_8931.JPG
Cold Moor Lane

I'd managed the route in just about four hours dead which I was quite pleased about really giving me plenty time to get home, shower and go to see Grace in her school show.
As a last word it's worth noting for dog owners that this route has several stiles that require crossing, no problem with Hughie but a heaver dog might give you a bit trouble.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Raisdale Round - North Yorks Moors

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Great stuff John K, that is one of my favourite routes only an hour from home. The picture of the Pheasant is top notch.

Magic :D :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

If you look carefully you can see me waving from the top of Roseberry Topping. We go up there about twice a week straight up from our house. That's a cracking circuit. The stone armchair is Rambler Falconer's Seat. Scott Crags at Scugdale is a very popular climbing area with a lot of routes but none of them particularly high. my son's pal fell off the Wainstones a few years ago and knocked himself out. There's good climbing there too and bouldering, but my climbing career came to an end when my son passed his driving test and didn't need me any more :(
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Lovely stuff JK, really nice memories of home for me. I once took quite a fall at Barkers Crags while showing off on 'Pups Wall' ....but I was young then and bounced back overnight :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Nice Walk JK and good pics. I am well impressed with the Northern escarpment of the NY Moors. My brother lives in Gt Ayton so they are his back yard so to speak and the more I see of his pics the more interested in making a few forays over there. I did a round of Black Hambledon last year from Square Corner and it turned out to be a great walk.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Great stuff John K, that is one of my favourite routes only an hour from home. The picture of the Pheasant is top notch.

Magic :D :D

Thanks LH. I thought it was about time the Moors received a bit of love on here. First time I've made a proper round in that area. I normally just park at Clay back top, walk over the tops of the moors and back along the Northern side below the tops.

mrssanta wrote:If you look carefully you can see me waving from the top of Roseberry Topping. We go up there about twice a week straight up from our house. That's a cracking circuit. The stone armchair is Rambler Falconer's Seat. Scott Crags at Scugdale is a very popular climbing area with a lot of routes but none of them particularly high. my son's pal fell off the Wainstones a few years ago and knocked himself out. There's good climbing there too and bouldering, but my climbing career came to an end when my son passed his driving test and didn't need me any more :(

I love Rosebery Topping, has to be one of the best small hills in England. I'm not a climber myself so even not to high crags will be a bit much for me.

ChrisW wrote:Lovely stuff JK, really nice memories of home for me. I once took quite a fall at Barkers Crags while showing off on 'Pups Wall' ....but I was young then and bounced back overnight :lol:

Thanks Chris. Good to see the wonders of Canada hasn't blinded you to the charms of Britain.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 pm

colgregg wrote:Nice Walk JK and good pics. I am well impressed with the Northern escarpment of the NY Moors. My brother lives in Gt Ayton so they are his back yard so to speak and the more I see of his pics the more interested in making a few forays over there. I did a round of Black Hambledon last year from Square Corner and it turned out to be a great walk.

The section of the Cleveland Way from Huthwaite Green to Clay Bank Top is superb and well worth anybody's attention. If anywhere shows there's more to hill walking to bagging tops it's here.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 am

Looks a great walk, John, think I'll get my husband to do this sometime :D It wasn't too far for you to drive down to this one!

Some wonderful photos and good you were able to get out walking making the most of the weather :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Susie, he won't be disapointed.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland