walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tryfan

Tryfan

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Tryfan

Date walked: 15/08/2009

Time taken: 4

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Such a beautiful mountain and deceptively small! When we parked up on the main road running through the Ogwen Valley I realised why Cath was so keen to go up this. The north ridge is a mecca for scrammblers but way out of my league due to the exposure.

Rain was heavy at times and winds gusting to gale near the summit.

Worked our way up looking for the heather terrace, which we didnt find, and ended up at the coll to the east of the summit. Cath went up to try and get to the summit but conditions were dire and she only came close. I bottled it and waited at the coll until I felt like a whimp and had a crack myself, managed to get close to where she turned around and Im glad I had a crack but conditions were really poor.
Attachments
tryfan.jpg
Last edited by ospreysfan on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Munros:86   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:2

Re: Tryfan

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm quite keen on doing this one at some point - I didn't realise there was some non-scramble routes up to the summit. Must hunt out more reports!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

There is a secondary, I think to the east or south east of the main ridge which itself runs roughly north to south. The front ascent is considered to be climbing the north ridge, something which looks like a real undertaking but some of the photos of which are incredible!

We went up to the east of the main ridge until we got onto a small plateau then made our way up to the coll between the main and south east peaks. Going up here there is a lot of movement in the scree so it's one we took with great care. From the coll in good conditions I suspect it is a relatively easier way to get to the summit.

It's possibly worth bearing in mind that the lady running the b n b we stayed in is a climbing instructor and she did say that she does not consider there to be any easy way up, especially in the weather we went up. A lot of the rock is well polished and greasy so not ideal in wet and windy weather.
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby yokehead » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:22 pm

If you walk to Bwlch Tryfan (great walk, see my Glyders post), the col between Tryfan and Glyder Fach, the way up Tryfan from here is shorter and less steep than from Llyn Ogwen. There's still scrambly bits though so I suggest that you go on a clear day so you can avoid the worst of the difficulties.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:40 am

I think the south ridge is mainly bouldery rather than scrambly although I remember one bit towards the top which, when it was slippery after rain, p***d me off a bit the first time I did it - didn't bother me on the way back down though. The north ridge really only has one unavoidably bad bit on it but that bit is quite bad for people without a head for heights, especially as it's very near the top. Before that, you have an alternative to all the other scrambling and don't have to do any at all before that final crag. It is steep though so don't dwell on the view back down to the road!

I can never find the Heather Terrace either - it's very plain from below/a distance but could I hell see it when I'd climbed up to where it should have started! Any tips anyone?
mountain coward

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 am

hi mountain coward, it kinda confused us, as it appears on the os map that it should be easy to find once you go up next to 'little tryfan'. The problem I found when I was there was that it is so obvious when you see from afar but up close te actual start is deceptively difficult to find! It also looks not so easy to start the heather terrace "halfway".
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm pretty sure I found the start of it but it was totally misty and all I could see were rocks. I clambered along quite a few rocky bits which looked like bits of path but couldn't find anything obvious or continuous... we really need someone who's done it to come on here and let us know how to find our way along it! :)
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland