walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sugar Loaf, Ysgyryd Fawr

Sugar Loaf, Ysgyryd Fawr

Postby poppiesrara » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Date walked: 06/04/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 12.75 km

Ascent: 745m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two short walks up the distinctive peaks that rise enticingly above the eastern gateway to the Brecon Beacons, firstly among the Bank Holiday crowds on the Sugar Loaf.

sugar loaf.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The number of clear paths across the southern flanks attest to the popularity of this hill, rather friendlier than its 596m height, although taking a more circuitous route – dropping down into Cwm Gwenffrwd and then gently up the western ridge – makes for a quiet and pleasant route. Good views from this side of the snow-streaked Black Mountains and (unlike any of those, tempting as they looked this day…) lovely underfoot conditions, on firm grass throughout, up to the quite defined and rocky summit ridge.
SL01.jpg
Cwm Gwenffrwd

SL02.jpg
Sugar Loaf at head of Cwm Gwenffrwd

SL03.jpg
Table Mountain

SL04.jpg
Pen y Gadair Fawr & Black Mountains

SL05.jpg
Sugar Loaf west ridge

SL06.jpg
Black Mountains over Crug Mawr

SL07.jpg
Offa's Dyke Ridge

SL08.jpg
The Skirrid from Sugar Loaf

SL09.jpg
Table Mountain from Sugar Loaf summit ridge

SL10.jpg
Sugar Loaf from the south

Rather fewer people on Ysgyryd Fawr (‘the Skirrid’) and another short circuit avoiding the more popular up-and-down route – this time winding nicely through the bluebell woods to the west and then up through the rocky valley to the foot of the north face.

skirrid.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The direct ascent from this side – unless I missed the ‘tourist path’ that I half-expected to see… – is a fierce and challenging one, starting with a steep hands-down scramble (this is much harder when the hand-holds are tufts of damp grass rather than rock shelves!) before a narrow tread west cut across to what looked a more natural rocky ascent route, although still vertiginously steep and with little to arrest a slip down. Quite a relief to crest the top of the climb and stumble almost straight upon the trig-point – either I’ve lost a lot of courage with a couple of years of age, or there really are a lot of ‘harder than Crib Goch’ climbs out there on little (this one is only 486m) hills! More nice views from this isolated summit though and a decent gentle descent along the very well-trodden south ridge which (it slightly shames me to admit) might just be the best way up too…
YF01.jpg
Path skirting west of the Skirrid

YF02.jpg
Skirrid western crags

YF03.jpg
Skirrid north face - direct ascent not recommended!

YF04.jpg
NW to Black Mountains from the Skirrid

YF05.jpg
Looking dizzily down the ascent line...

YF06.jpg
Skirrid summit and south ridge

YF07.jpg
Rural views east from the Skirrid

YF08.jpg
West from the Skirrid to Sugar Loaf
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Sugar Loaf, Ysgyryd Fawr

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 am

Enjoyed the report and Picture PR - I used to work in Abergavenny so walked this area a few times - am amazed there is still snow up there as things have been pretty mild! The view down the Skirrid ascent line I really liked!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Good to see Sugar Loaf again :)

Ysgwryd Fawr looks good fun - already had my eye on it, but your photos make it look interesting. I don't have any more specific trips planned down there, but I'm hoping I might manage a quick stop-off on the way back from Cardiff in May.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:44 am

Great stuff as always P, that north face of Skirrid looks an absolute beast :shock: little snow left now too, you lucky bleeders :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland