walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Prairie Creek Circuit

Canada - Prairie Creek Circuit

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Date walked: 09/04/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 494m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Seeking another hike in the foothills close to home I remembered that when I hiked Prairie Mountain at the end of January this year I met a guy who was doing a nice circuit. So I set off to West Bragg on highway 22 then took highway 66 right through to the winter gate where I parked by the side of the road. I was surprised to see dozens of cars there before remembering it's Easter Monday.. ...then I realised that this will become the norm as the weather improves :(

It's just a few hundred yards along the closed road to the trail head that drops down to the right beside Prairie Creek and (today at least) begins with a snow covered trail running beside the creek.

after a while I came across a bridge over the creek guarded by a fine snowman, I wish I'd had something to write with/on so I could have put a sign against him saying "None shall pass" alas I had no such equipment

it had been a level wander until crossing the creek where the trail takes an immediate ascent against an impressive little ridge, the south facing slope had virtually cleared of snow though in shaded areas there is some wicked ice remaining

the trail continues to climb at a very comfortable steady pace along the sun cleared slope, it's a lovely hike taking little effort to this point and allowing a nice steady warm up, something that seems quite rare around these parts

the trail swings in a long loop around the side of the valley before descending a little and popping out onto a flat viewpoint looking back down the valley. To give you some idea of distances, the hill directly in front of me here that seems to be blocking the valley is where the first section of ascent took place today

from here there's more descent, still winding along the side of the valley wall in young aspen trees that are yet to take on the first bloom of spring

soon all of the previous ascent is lost and I am back in the valley bottom walking beside the creek, but the trail is still easy going and I'm enjoying the hike, the temperature is in single figures and the sun is shining, perfect hiking conditions

it's not long before I'm ascending again, back into the aspens along the valley ridge, this turns out to be a pattern with this trail and ascent is gained and lost for the entire route until the turning point 7km along the valley

back down to the valley floor and a wide open meadow, the third such space I have passed so far. There must be an abundance of mountain flowers here once the melt is complete

from the valley I ascend again a little way before hitting a long level section with some views out toward the distant peaks

dropping back to the valley floor I see a bridge across the creek that represents the link I have been seeking, for a moment I consider continuing further but conditions will be better for that when the spring flowers are out...I'll have to come back :)

there is even a glimpse of water here downstream of the bridge, its nice to see the melt in action and the beautiful clear mountain water

once over the bridge there is a good slab of level ground with a healthy coating of snow, but it's well trodden and I can continue without snowshoes toward the hills ahead

as expected on the north facing slope the ascent path has very deep snow and the well trodden section is now very narrow. It's interesting to see the regeneration here where most of the trees are blackened from a previous forest fire but are spring green at their tops

crossing one of the few open spaces on these north facing slopes I consider putting on the snowshoes just to run around in the untrodden snow...I know Sarah would if she was with me.

once across the hilltops the trail falls again into a lovely little open valley where I see a nice dry fallen tree on which to sit for lunch, with my gaze on the tree and thoughts of lunch in my head both of my feet go up in the air and I take a good slam down onto the ice hidden below a thin coat of snow, I get to my feet laughing...I then stop for lunch on the fallen tree and find that just one banana goes a very long way when it's in your rucksack and you fall on it

scraping banana off everything I enjoy my lunch of pasta salad before heading across the valley to a three way junction where the left fork is needed to follow powderface creek back to the start point, I suspect this valley may be very wet when the melt occurs

there is a well trodden trail and the sun is beating down as I am once again onto a south facing slope

as the valley tightens I come across this beautiful scene, I'm not sure what these are, from a distance I thought they were dogwoods but close up they are not (not like dogwoods at home anyway) but whatever they are the new growth certainly adds a great splash of colour to the scene

there is a clear demarcation line along the south facing slope where the sun can't yet reach....it is agonisingly close to the trail which is still constructed of deep packed snow

then high up the bank I see my first butterfly of spring and it really adds to the day and the overall feeling that winter is almost over, yes there will be more snow yet but the sun is winning the overall battle and just a few short weeks from now these slopes will be snow free

the final rise and fall is made on a snow covered trail beside a steep drop off down toward Powderface Creek

crossing the creek lower down the trail finally comes out at the Powderface day use car park (currently closed)

from here it is back onto the closed section of highway 66 and a nice walk beside the Elbow river back to the truck, I did consider exploring Elbow Falls as I still felt fresh after the hike but on getting to the access road I saw about a hundred people milling around the car park and trail head...I left it for another (non Easter) day

this was a really enjoyable hike (but aren't they all) I think when the melt is over I will return here and do the full extension that will double the distance and take in the vast mountain meadows further along where marmots and bears graze with deer and moose.....I can hardly wait.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Prairie Creek Circuit

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 pm

You keep ticking all the boxes Chris.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 pm

There's no stopping you now Chris,another collection of lovely photo's. That was a beautiful looking Butterfly,it looked a fair size too!
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Another lovely walk, Chris, and more beautiful photos :D

ChrisW wrote:I was surprised to see dozens of cars there before remembering it's Easter Monday

We had a few days over in the Lakes, near Tarn Hows, and it was the same :lol:

ChrisW wrote:I think when the melt is over I will return here and do the full extension that will double the distance and take in the vast mountain meadows further along where marmots and bears graze with deer and moose.....I can hardly wait.
I can hardly wait either!! :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 am

gammy leg walker wrote:You keep ticking all the boxes Chris.

Cheers Gammy.....I'm still waiting on the big stuff though....there's going to be some crackers in the summer (I'm researching till the snows goes) :wink:

Morecambe Monkey wrote:There's no stopping you now Chris,another collection of lovely photo's. That was a beautiful looking Butterfly,it looked a fair size too!

Thanks MM, apparently that is a Mourning Cloak (not sure what it's mourning though :? ) it was about 4 inch wingspan, lovely to see a real sign of spring :D

SusieThePensioner wrote:Another lovely walk, Chris, and more beautiful photos :D We had a few days over in the Lakes, near Tarn Hows, and it was the same :lol:
I can hardly wait either!! :lol:

Thanks Susie, damn tourists :lol: oh wait......I'm one of them I suppose :shock: ..........if only summer would come we wouldn't all have to congregate in the foothills :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for another mountain tale, Chris. For a few moments I was able to forget about my headache... I'm sitting at home with a nasty cold, drinking Lemsip and waiting for better times to come...
ChrisW wrote:just one banana goes a very long way when it's in your rucksack and you fall on it

I'm a big fan of bananas and usually take a couple with me on the hills. I had similar experiences with squashed ones :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:14 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Thanks for another mountain tale, Chris. For a few moments I was able to forget about my headache... I'm sitting at home with a nasty cold, drinking Lemsip and waiting for better times to come...
ChrisW wrote:just one banana goes a very long way when it's in your rucksack and you fall on it

I'm a big fan of bananas and usually take a couple with me on the hills. I had similar experiences with squashed ones :lol: :lol:

Thanks BP, sorry to hear you're not well - hope you feel better soon :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Excellent ChrisW.. my cousin is living in Canada ...and the more i see of it the more i want to visit now :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Excellent ChrisW.. my cousin is living in Canada ...and the more i see of it the more i want to visit now :)

Thanks MT, if I were you I'd wait a little while to let the snow go down then get a visit sorted....where is your cousin based :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby quoman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Chris

Nice one again pic's are superb
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 pm

quoman wrote:Hi Chris
Nice one again pic's are superb

Cheers Quoman, still no big stuff though :roll: damn snow :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SMRussell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Wonderful as always Chris and yet again the envy creeps in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

With all these wonderful reports you keep posting I'm starting to this a "Walk reports - ChrisW in Canada" section should be added to WH. :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 pm

SMRussell wrote:Wonderful as always Chris and yet again the envy creeps in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

With all these wonderful reports you keep posting I'm starting to this a "Walk reports - ChrisW in Canada" section should be added to WH. :D

Thanks SMR, it will get worse (or better) when the snow eases a bit (snow warnings for the mountains today expecting another 25cm :roll: ) then I'll be piling in with several every week I reckon :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby houdi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Great stuff as ever Chris, and your pics are always excellent anyway. Can't wait till you get up on those real mountains over there!
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:03 pm

houdi wrote:Great stuff as ever Chris, and your pics are always excellent anyway. Can't wait till you get up on those real mountains over there!

Cheers Houdi, I can't wait either but it seems I'm going to have to....dammit :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland