walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen Yr Helgi Du

Pen Yr Helgi Du

Postby ospreysfan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen yr Helgi Du

Date walked: 17/08/2009

Time taken: 4

Distance: 6 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up on the main road (A5) running through the Ogwen Valley outside the campsite beloow Tryfan. It's a short walk back in the direction of Capel Curig before you turn up to the left on a marked footpath.

The initial ascent works through a farmed area and is pretty wet underfoot, we had some trouble finding the way across the drainage stream but worked our way left until we came across a bridge. The path took us up onto the whaleback which then climbs quickly above the valley. Further on along the ridge, there are some nice crags on either side which open up and you get a great view of Tryfan and the lake to the West. Below on the westward side of the ridge, the reservoir is visible.

There are several cairns making it unclear which is the summit cairn, we hedged our bet and went to all! Those on the east side of the ridge run quite close to the cliffs which are a little exposed. After this we split up, I made my way down to the reservoir working my way between the crags and following the tracks down fairly grassy banks while my partner (without any fear of heights!) did the really nice walk across Craig Yr Ysfa.
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Munros:86   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:2

Re: Pen Yr Helgi Du

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 am

Yeah the route I took up to Pen Yr Helgi Du was quite exposed - it was the arete from the cwm between that and Craig yr Isfa (the slight scramble onto Carnedd Llewellyn). I was really surprised after I'd gone up the arete that there was no mention of it in the route books as it was probably getting on for 100 feet up a very steep narrow arete on sticky-out rocks (luckily solidly fixed) and, although I enjoyed going up it, there'd have been no way I'd have descended that way. There was another path which cut across the face to the right - not sure if that's the way one of you guys went without consulting the map) - that looked like it would be bad for people with vertigo too. I do remember at the bottom of the track up to that cwm getting into an argument with some Welsh yobbos who were pratting about in their car on the track roaring up and down it for fun. They started abusing me in Welsh and calling me a 'saesneg' (English - the Welsh equivalent of Sassenach) but got a real shock when I started giving it back to them - also in Welsh! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 am

Being from South Wales I have always found the North Welsh interestingly "different", well done on giving as good as you got!

We actually split up at the point where the path narrows so markedly. My girflfriend, who has much more of a head for heights, carried on while I turned around and cut down the west slope which is kinda steep and slippy when wet, along a fence. Do need to go back and do it again properly as it's such a shame to let your fear get the better of you I think.
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Well I don't think the problem was that they were North Welsh, just that they were yobbos - get them everywhere I'm afraid! :(
mountain coward

Postby ospreysfan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:53 am

yeah I know, always a little friendly banter between North and South :)
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:06 am

Yeah and always that same friendly banter between Welsh and us saesnegs! :)
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland