walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A hideous day on England's highest... (again!)

A hideous day on England's highest... (again!)

by ciderpeter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 07/04/2012

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 994m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A hideous day on England's highest... (again!)

Postby simon-b » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Oh dear, this has got me going now. None of us are perfect and we shouldn't judge others too harshly, but...

I was once on the summit of Pillar when three young blokes, whose navigation guide was a leaflet from a tourist office or something, were asking each other where they were.

One of them was reading out loud from the leaflet, saying something like, "... a large, vertical pillar made of stone on the north side of the mountain..."

He looked at the OS triangulation column and said, "Is this it?"
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 am

Forgot to say, it's very sad about Blackburn and they seem doomed :( However, you can bounce straight back like my team did.........Newcastle!! :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby goth_angel » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Interesting report as I was planning on doing this walk on the same day but got up late and saw the weather wasn't as good as it was meant to be, so figured would have trouble parking and/or see nowt. Ended up doing 4 wainwrights from Honister Pass instead.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby Fellwanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:35 pm

And I actually did it the same day!

We left Brackenclose at about 8.45 and headed up to Hollowstones. The consensus was to go up to Mickledore as all three of us had been up it many times before - it was pretty choked with a recent fall and we discovered the Wasdale MRT had warned walkers not to use the route if they were unfamiliar with it.

There were only about a dozen at the mist shrouded summit when we arrived - including the two lads who were selling hot drinks to raise funds for a trip to Yosemite.

We dropped down to Lingmell col and by then there were hundreds making their way up. We could see the increasing number of walkers making their way up so decided to cut over to Lingmell and straight down the nose - even though it is a bit hard on old knees!

A shame about the weather as when I arrived at Brackenclose on Thursday lunchtime, the weather was simply superb.
Fellwanderer
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:163
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland