Page 1 of 1

Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 am
by ChrisG
A great day out on the Helvellyn range. My first attempt at Striding Edge, really enjoyed it but I big challenge for me to over come my virtigo. It's a strange feeling looking down at my feet and not being able to judge the distance to my next step which gives me a slight dizziness but then looking down past my feet five or six hundred feet down with perfect vison. Anyway I made it sometimes on my hands and knees but I still got to the end. Strange thing is I didn't have a problem with the climb down at the end, Hers a few pics of our day.


our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts



579557_10150730571419367_553149366_9203614_205727571_n.jpeg


557660_10150730571809367_553149366_9203618_397169783_n.jpeg


543040_10150730572149367_553149366_9203622_160211539_n.jpeg


559706_10150730572539367_553149366_9203627_74625396_n.jpeg


541326_10150730572884367_553149366_9203632_997748999_n.jpeg


582302_10150730572779367_553149366_9203631_1776841867_n.jpeg

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm
by SusieThePensioner
Well done!! I know how you feel and I've never done Striding Edge because of the vertigo so that was brilliant :thumbup: Some great photos as well :D

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 pm
by ChrisG
SusieThePensioner wrote:Well done!! I know how you feel and I've never done Striding Edge because of the vertigo so that was brilliant :thumbup: Some great photos as well :D


Thanks, Glad I did it

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:19 am
by ChrisW
Beautiful photos Chris, well worth pushing yourself up to and beyond your limits, great stuff :D

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:54 pm
by garyhortop
Well done - not for the faint hearted if you don't like heights!! Some cracking pictures as well!! :D

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 pm
by ChrisG
garyhortop wrote:Well done - not for the faint hearted if you don't like heights!! Some cracking pictures as well!! :D

Thanks Gary I really enjoyed it :)

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 pm
by ChrisG
ChrisW wrote:Beautiful photos Chris, well worth pushing yourself up to and beyond your limits, great stuff :D


Thanks again Chris

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 pm
by alexpdjdj
ChrisG wrote:My first attempt at Striding Edge, really enjoyed it but I big challenge for me to over come my virtigo. It's a strange feeling looking down at my feet and not being able to judge the distance to my next step which gives me a slight dizziness but then looking down past my feet five or six hundred feet down with perfect vison. Anyway I made it sometimes on my hands and knees but I still got to the end. Strange thing is I didn't have a problem with the climb down at the end


Really know what you mean, I felt the same way when I did Striding Edge. Its a really wierd thing vertigo, difficult to explain to people how it affects you.

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 pm
by Skyehigh1973
Lovely pics, thank you - and I know how tough it is to talk about a loss of confidence on a site like this so much power to you!

I did Striding Edge as a carefree 16-year old then suddenly, a few years ago, complete with mortgage and responsibilities to others, I couldn't face it and realised I couldn't hack that sort of stuff without some serious build-up to it. However, as Don Whillans said "The mountains will always be there......" - they are there for all of us, no matter what we choose to do on them, and we all them because of what they give us, unconditionally :)

Thank you for sharing

Re: Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike & Dollywaggon Pike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 pm
by Skyehigh1973
Skyehigh1973 wrote:Lovely pics, thank you - and I know how tough it is to talk about a loss of confidence on a site like this so much power to you!

I did Striding Edge as a carefree 16-year old then suddenly, a few years ago, complete with mortgage and responsibilities to others, I couldn't face it and realised I couldn't hack that sort of stuff without some serious build-up to it. However, as Don Whillans said "The mountains will always be there......" - they are there for all of us, no matter what we choose to do on them, and we all them because of what they give us, unconditionally :)

Thank you for sharing


(That should have said "and we all love them because" etc.... Never try typing something meaningful after a long day!)