walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Haytor Round!

Another Haytor Round!

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Date walked: 16/04/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 481m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was not quite what I was hoping to do this weekend....but with student step son home and his inability to get out of bed before lunchtime meant that this was a much later start than planned and not the intended route...as i was hoping to do something new! Hey ho...best laid plans and all that.

I won't say too much about this walk as much of this i have covered in a walk report earlier this year:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17350

The main difference with this route was the starting point at SX750762 and taking in Rippon Tor. From the car park it is more or less a straight up and down to the summit and worth taking in as you get some really good views back to Haytor and across Buckland Moor and Pil Tor as well.

It is then a question of trying to avoid the crowds! You can simply do this by heading towards Saddle Tor and the Holwell Tor and drop down through the quarries at Holwell Tor and across the river valley (you can see the path on a good day). Follow the path up the other side of the valley and it is also waymarked for those who are navigationally challenged (like me!) onto to Greator and you can then pick your path on to Hound Tor. There is the cafe/caravan/takeaway, the Hound of the basketmeals, (baskervilles for the hard of thinking!) at the layby by Hound Tor so you can always pick up a tea/coffee and a burger if you are desperate!!

You then follow your route back through Hound Tor but this time go down through the medeival village and take the path that leads to the Northern Side of Greator. Back down into the valley on the well made up path, over the clapper bridge and up onto Haytor Common. We made for the quarry as its quite a nice route through the quarry although on this occasion it was full of Grockles with BBQ's, slabs of Fosters and High heels!?! We went from the eastern side of the quarries and followed the path out to the western end onto Haytor itself. We decided not to go to the summit proper as there was no room for any more people!

At this point enough was enough and we traipsed back to the car over Saddle Tor once more!

Tom has prmoised me he'll get up earlier this coming weekend! :shock:

Some pictures of the day:

001.JPG
Saddle Tor & Haytor from Rippon Tor

002.JPG
Tom on Trig Point of Rippon Tor

003.JPG
Saddle Tor

004.JPG
Haytor from Saddle Tor

005.JPG
Greator (fore) and Hound Tor from Holwell Tor

006.JPG
Haytor from Holwell Quarry

007.JPG
Greator

008.JPG
The Hound of the basket meals!

009.JPG
Hound Tor

010.JPG
Granite Tramway

011.JPG
Beano the bogtrotting Border Terrier!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Another Haytor Round!

Postby willywalker247 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:25 am

What next bog snorkeling dog :lol: :lol: Great report Gary
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:25 pm

It may not have been first choice Gary but it looks a beautiful wander anyway, love the Hound of the basketmeals, what an awesome name for a cafe :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks both - the walk was - on reflection - better than the impression I have given here - it's quite a fascinating area - just a bit too touristy for me at weekends!! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Gary, glad you were able to get out eventually and do a walk :D I probably wouldn't have had the patience waiting for Tom and gone on my own :lol: I love the photo of him on Rippon Tor 8) :lol:

At least you know how to avoid most of the crowds :D

It was good reading your report and some more great photos :thumbup:

(Hope work is still going well and keeping you busy?)
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby garyhortop » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Gary, glad you were able to get out eventually and do a walk :D I probably wouldn't have had the patience waiting for Tom and gone on my own :lol: I love the photo of him on Rippon Tor 8) :lol:

At least you know how to avoid most of the crowds :D

It was good reading your report and some more great photos :thumbup:

(Hope work is still going well and keeping you busy?)

LOL....Thanks Susie.....trust me I was tempted! :shock:

Work is going OK at the Mo...hoping to catch up with Chris (Willywalker) some time in May as its a short hop from Gloucester and we have a wander on the Eastern Black Mountains...or maybe further afield if the weather improves!! Hope all is well with you! :D

p.s. Still haven't change the camera yet!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland