walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Upper Teesdale wander.

Upper Teesdale wander.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Date walked: 05/05/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 267m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The River Tees is one of England's most spectacular rivers. The fact that it resides in my home county makes it all the more embarrassing that its best features have remained unvisited by me for many years. In spite of the good Lakeland forecast we decided to have a wander up a section of the Tees visited by the Pennine Way.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The free parking area at Bowlees is hard to fault. Loads of spaces, public toilets and access to some wonderful countryside. Our previous visit was when Grace was only a toddler, so a short walk to the beautiful Gibson's Cave was the extent of our wanderings. Today we decided to follow the river from Low Force, past High Force and back via the Moor to Holwick Scar. We'd previously visited High Force on a few occasions but this was our first visit to Low Force. Turned out that it was more accessible and photogenic than it's larger cousin and the highlight of the walk.

IMG_9056.JPG
Low Force

IMG_9063.JPG
and again

IMG_9051.JPG
Wynch Bridge

After an spending a while exploring we made our way over Wynch Bridge (one at a time please!) and onto the Pennine Way. We were almost immediately confronted by a pair of stone sheep which our daft mutt took exception to with a frenzy of Growls and barks.

IMG_9071.JPG
Grace with Hughie's new friends

After much mirth at Hughie's expense we continued onwards to High Force. Considering the time of year it was very cold and it was no surprise to see a few flakes of snow drifting down as we lunched with the birds at the High Force view point.

IMG_9072.JPG
High Force

IMG_9075.JPG
One of our lunch companions

IMG_9088.JPG
High Force from the top

IMG_9089.JPG
Looking back down river

Our route continued up the river for a while before doubling back upon ourselves and returning across the Moor. If you wanted a longer walk you could easily continue along the Pennine way for another few miles to visit Cauldron Snout and Cronkley Scar.

IMG_9095.JPG
Cronkley Fell

The way back across the Moor is boggy and uninspiring but made worthwhile by crossing what must be the finest stile in England and visiting Holwick Scar. The Scar is part of the same huge volcanic event, the Whin Sill eruption 295Million years ago that created High Force, the crags of Hadrian's wall and High Cup Nick.

IMG_9097.JPG
Best stile in England?

IMG_9100.JPG
Holwick Scar

IMG_9103.JPG
Looking across Teesdale

IMG_9104.JPG
Idyllic Teesdale

A short walk back the the car park passing Low Force once again completed a pleasant, if somewhat chilly day out.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Upper Teesdale wander.

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat May 12, 2012 10:24 am

A lovely walk, John, used to be one of our favourites when I called still get out walking :)

Some beautiful photos and a happy reminder, thank you :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Susie. It's allways good to bring back some happy memories.:-)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Sat May 12, 2012 3:19 pm

I have been meaning to get to see High Force on many occasions and not yet been there.. A nice report with some good pics of an area I have not wandered.

Appetite now wetted

Cheers JK
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun May 13, 2012 5:27 pm

L-Hiking wrote:I have been meaning to get to see High Force on many occasions and not yet been there.. A nice report with some good pics of an area I have not wandered.

Appetite now wetted

Cheers JK

It's a magnificent part of the river. If you get there following a particuarly heavy deluge you might get to see High Force doubled up, it's quite some sight.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Thats a great walk, High Force never fails to impress (going this way it too is free both costwise and "day tripper wise). Low force to Cauldron snout is probably the best riverside walk in the country
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon May 14, 2012 11:48 am

colgregg wrote:Thats a great walk, High Force never fails to impress (going this way it too is free both costwise and "day tripper wise). Low force to Cauldron snout is probably the best riverside walk in the country

I've yet to visit Cauldron Snout. Could be tempted this Wednesday however :)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 14, 2012 5:51 pm

wow - love this JK, it seems to capture all that I miss...or perhaps the recent family visit has me pining for home a little....either way this was a lovely reminder - cheers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 pm

ChrisW wrote:wow - love this JK, it seems to capture all that I miss...or perhaps the recent family visit has me pining for home a little....either way this was a lovely reminder - cheers :D

I was in two minds as to do a report on this walk or not, glad I did now. Thanks for the kind comments.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland