walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Banff - Sulphur Mountain

Canada - Banff - Sulphur Mountain

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Date walked: 14/05/2012

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

OK, I'll be straight up from the off here and say this is a cheat. My little Grandson was here for 2 weeks and we took him up Sulphur Mountain on the Gondola, but there is a little walking required up top and it was a beautiful day in a spectacular location.....worth a look if you ever thought of visiting Canada :wink:

Once the weatherman predicted sunshine and blue skies in the Rockies we took a trip to Banff to ride the Gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain, though in truth it doesn't go to the summit, you do need to walk a little bit to get there.

But before we went to the mountain we stopped off in town for lunch and a little shopping spree. My son and his wife posing in Banff.

Banff is a small town but packs a large punch with its choices of shopping and eating options as well as its National Park location and stunning views even from the town centre.

Ethan stayed in his pushchair to save his little legs for the summit of Sulphur Mountain later in the day

it's a short drive to the Gongola parking area and a short wait whilst Mark returns to the car for all the things we forgot.
riding the gondola is pretty cool, its quite a long ride and the views are spectacular and though grandma would rather close her eyes until we reach the top she managed a smile for the photos
the view down to the gondola station
the gondola takes you to about 7500 feet then you can walk to the actual summit which is visible here behind and to the left.

there is a boardwalk the whole way and the views are incredible throughout the walk in every direction

Ethan examined the boardwalk as we went along to ensure it was up to scratch, the walk begins by descending to a col before reascending to the summit

this shot looks back toward the restaurant and the top of the gondola
Ethan found the steps easy going with the help of dad and grandma, I couldn't help envying him those wonderful swings
viewpoints along the way give spectacular vistas across the town of Banff and the mountains beyond

the final push is steps, steps and steps but worth every one once you reach the top

the restaurant and gondola top is now quite a way off as the route circles around the mountain, the valleys running either side provide a beautiful perception trick seemingly enclosing the peak in the foreground

finally at the very top grandad,grandma, dad and Ethan pose for the summit pic.
from here the valleys reaching outward from Banff in all directions are clearly visible and it is a wonderful sight, I feel so lucky to be here with my wife, my son and his lovely family on such a beautiful day, at times words are not enough....this is one of those times.

after taking photos of all possible combinations of family members at the summit we set off back down again with that restaurant looking more and more inviting

on the way back while carrying Ethan, Mark stumbled on the top step in a series and lurched forward and to the side at the same time, he then jumped the distance to the bottom of the steps 'juggling' Ethan as he did landing upright with his little boy safe in his arms, it took Hayley quite a while to get her breath back and I'm sre my heart stopped for at least a week :shock:

back at the restaurant we sat and enjoyed tea and snacks looking over the beautiful surroundings with the ever present smile of little Ethan making it all the more enjoyable.

the ride back down was great fun with Ethan cracking up laughing every time a gondola passed on its way up.

Hayley drove us for the one hour journey home (Mark had driven there) and we laughed and joked in the glorious sunshine of the rocky mountains, it is a day I will remember for as long as I possible can.

I know this isn't the usual 'hike report' but hope you still find it interesting.....back to the mountains for me tomorrow :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Banff - Sulphur Mountain

Postby PeteR » Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 pm

I don't think the gondola ride is cheating at all. I'd be more worried if you'd made the lad walk all the way from the bottom :shock: :lol: And if it sows seeds for the future then a little cheat here and there has to be a good thing in my books.

As always with your report, superb photos :D What a view from the town centre too :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm

ChrisW wrote:I know this isn't the usual 'hike report' but hope you still find it interesting

No, but happy memories, thank you :D We did this at the end of July so not so much snow when we were there but some fantastic photos again :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby malky_c » Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 am

If only they were all that easy :wink: . Great views and you seem to be losing the snow finally. Meanwhile back in the UK it was snowing in Stoke-on-Trent this morning :crazy:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby morag1 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 am

Lovely heart-warming report :D

Great to see the whole family out and about in that beautiful place, just loved those photos

The Rockies are incredible, cant get enought of them :thumbup:
morag1

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 am

A brilliant day to treasure in the coming years. Banff looks to be a wonderful place.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Tue May 15, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 am

Woops! :oops:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue May 15, 2012 10:59 am

What a great family day out! My 4 year old son would love that (and so would I).

But just imagine the outrage if they were to build one of those boardwalks to the summit of Aonach Mhor or Cairngorm :shock: :lol:
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby willywalker247 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi CW
Great views, family day out a little walker in the making. What more can can you ask. :D
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 15, 2012 4:00 pm

PeteR wrote:I don't think the gondola ride is cheating at all. I'd be more worried if you'd made the lad walk all the way from the bottom :shock: :lol: And if it sows seeds for the future then a little cheat here and there has to be a good thing in my books. As always with your report, superb photos :D What a view from the town centre too :D

Cheers Pete, chasing the grandson is more effort than climbing a mountain every day :lol:
SusieThePensioner wrote:
ChrisW wrote:I know this isn't the usual 'hike report' but hope you still find it interesting

No, but happy memories, thank you :D We did this at the end of July so not so much snow when we were there but some fantastic photos again :thumbup:

Thanks Susie, I may go back there as there is a 'proper' 8 mile hike that starts at the top and leads away from the boardwalk :wink:
malky_c wrote:If only they were all that easy :wink: . Great views and you seem to be losing the snow finally. Meanwhile back in the UK it was snowing in Stoke-on-Trent this morning :crazy:

Cheers Malky, the snow seems to be receding fast, snowing in Stoke on Trent in mid may :wtf: that's just odd.
morag1 wrote:Lovely heart-warming report :D Great to see the whole family out and about in that beautiful place, just loved those photos The Rockies are incredible, cant get enought of them :thumbup:

Thanks Morag, my house feels so empty now they have returned to the UK :(
johnkaysleftleg wrote:A brilliant day to treasure in the coming years. Banff looks to be a wonderful place.

Cheers JK, is is a beautiful little town with breathtaking views all around...just gets hammered with tourists from now until September...dammit :lol:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Woops! :oops:
a daisy :lol:

Phil the Hill wrote:What a great family day out! My 4 year old son would love that (and so would I). But just imagine the outrage if they were to build one of those boardwalks to the summit of Aonach Mhor or Cairngorm :shock: :lol:

I hardly dare think about it, though they do have such an incredibly massive area of mountains here that such things bring in much needed dollars but still leave an almost unimaginable number of mountains untouched, this is an incredible country :D
willywalker247 wrote:Hi CW Great views, family day out a little walker in the making. What more can can you ask. :D
Cheers WW, I hope he like the hills when he grows up, I'd love to hike up a mountain with the little lad (if I can still do it by then :lol: )
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby L-Hiking » Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Great stuff as ever Chris, maybe the youngster will get the bug we all have one day and want to top all them beautiful mountains close to where you live

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby DaveB1 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Chris, I take it you work for the Canadian Tourist Board, coz you certainly sold it to me, how about a 'walkhighlands' meet in a couple of years (give me time to save up!!). Great report Chris and those photos well, wow! Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm a big gondola fan. Got the one up Aonach Mor the other day. Even then all i saw was clag :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 am

L-Hiking wrote:Great stuff as ever Chris, maybe the youngster will get the bug we all have one day and want to top all them beautiful mountains close to where you live Cheers

Cheers LH, I'd love to walk up a mountain with the little un....but it will be a few years yet :(
DaveB1 wrote:Chris, I take it you work for the Canadian Tourist Board, coz you certainly sold it to me, how about a 'walkhighlands' meet in a couple of years (give me time to save up!!). Great report Chris and those photos well, wow! Dave

Thanks Dave, a WH meet up here would be fantastic...we've got some spare rooms :think:
jonny616 wrote:I'm a big gondola fan. Got the one up Aonach Mor the other day. Even then all i saw was clag :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I thought the weather had picked up over there Jonny :wtf:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby foggieclimber » Wed May 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Superb. :D

Think I need to relocate from Banff to Banff!
foggieclimber

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland