walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Return to Cox Hill

Canada - Return to Cox Hill

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Date walked: 15/05/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 819m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cox hill was one that got away in March this year when I had to turn back due to snow. Obviously such things nag away at you and a return was needed to get rid of the nagging.

I assumed that the previous two week heatwave we had enjoyed had thinned out the snow sufficiently and I was so confident that I put on my new lightweight summer boots, lightweight trousers and T-shirt then headed off to Dawson Campground just off the Powderface Trail which links to Highway 68 22km South of the Trans Canada Highway.

The car park was empty and free of snow and ice in stark contrast to the last time I was here. Looking at the hills as I drove up I could see some snow up top but a good distance away from the start point. I had no snow kit with me anyway, I was dressed for summer and determined to have a nice hike in lightweight gear for the first time this year.

the now familiar bridge was easy to find this time and the river below was bustling through with fresh melt water

I was soon climbing up and out of the dark green valley and making excellent time on the good firm trail

it was nice to stay within the trees sheltered from the incessant beating of the sun, humidity was only 24% today and the dry air raked at my throat as I quaffed huge quantities of water on the ascent.

from a clearing I can see the snow covered top of Cox Hill and find myself wondering just how far I'll get before reaching the snow this time

every open area in the forest had a lovely covering of delicate mountain flowers in bloom adding a splash of colour at random intervals

I reached the point where I'd turned back last time before finding any snow, I didn't expect it to be this low down and I still had quite a lot of ascent to go but there would be no turning around this time, I'd got this far in good time and had plenty of time to make it the rest of the way

the trail was clearly laid out with the footprints of others but one step off these prints and it was down to the knee immediately, suffice to say the new lightweight summer boots were dripping wet in no time...worse still they began to chafe on both heels

the path (such as it was) became almost unusable after a while with thigh deep slumps and constant 'break through and sink' events draining my energy I decide to take a much more aggressive line up the mountain and set off toward a pile of rocks poking out of the side of the hill

when I reached the rocks I stopped to apply some heel plasters before continuing, it was no fun putting soaking wet boots and socks back on after they had cooled down in the mountain air, but at least I had good quality wool socks and my feet were soon warm again. As I sat enjoying a short rest I was joined by a little chipmunk

he stayed about 2 minutes before making a mad dash down the mountain, skidding along the top of the snow

just a short way ahead now I see a summit cairn which turns out to be one of two up here so I visit both

at the second cairn I stop for lunch and take in the incredible sight of mountains stretching away into the distance layer upon layer, the closest and seemingly highest one on the left of shot is Moose Mountain another planned target of mine for later in the year.

it's surprising what a viewpoint at 7300 feet will show you, down the other side of the mountain is lush snow free forest and ledges

a shot in any direction gives the same outlook of layer upon layer of beautiful mountains still sporting a winter coat in the higher areas

to the left is the same string of wondrous hills, with the snowline around 6500 feet (I think) it will be a while before those 'big guns' can be reached

behind me and down the western flank of the mountain looks much easier, snow free walking and I begin hatching a plan for a circular route avoiding the ascent route and its snowmageddon pathway altogether

I take a last look around the beauty of the summit scene before heading off in a North-Westerly direction toward the planned snow free route. As always in the mountains there were a few surprises, a couple of scrambles and vertical drops from hidden ledges; at one point I had to trust the snow drifted against the rocks and use it as a cushion as I hung and then dropped off a ledge using it to break my descent. The ledge in the shot below actually almost cut back under itself and scrambling down it was followed by one of those run/walks down the slope to the relative safety of a lower section.

from a lower ledge I could see the route in and planned myself a route out as I had now virtually committed to going this way. The map showed a stream running between me and an unnamed hill I worked out I could follow the ridge through the trees, pick up the stream and follow it down Powderface Trail which I could see from my vantage point. The shot below shows where the car is parked in a gap behind the hills shown with the arrow, the small red dots to the right show the route in and to the left my planned route out.

hiking the snow free ledge in the forest was great and it broke out occasionally showing the beautiful views across the valley and the deep carpet of trees which suddenly remind me of the bear potential around here.....yikes

it was nice to reach the shade of the trees once again though I didn't realise I'd be stepping over fallen trees for the next 2km, after a while its almost as bad as the snow. Everything that moves in here is a bear until proven otherwise making the senses really sharpen for the passage through the forest

there are a number of locations in the forest where huge piles of destroyed pine cones are heaped under trees but not the 'cores' and scales as usually attributed to squirrels just heaps of scales and for the piles to be so deep there must be thousands of pine cones scattered there, I can't help but wonder what does this.

after a strenuous but enjoyable hike down through the forest and along the ice covered stream disturbing dozens of deer along the way I finally break out onto clear ground in a small meadow

the stream has now joined another to make a deep fast moving river, I turn right and head downstream seeking a crossing point, not too concerned as I know back at the car park there is a bridge

with about 1km to go I come across a huge landslide that prevents me continuing, going up and over would be damn hard as the bank there was very steep and would require a hands on scramble (which I didn't have the energy/inclination for) I tried crossing the slide but it was far too mobile. In the end I thought 'to hell with it' I'm 1km away from the truck, so I just stepped into the river boots an all and steady waded across picking my way using my walking poles for balance, the rocks were slippery so it was a slow process and on exiting the far side my legs were frozen from the knees down.

less than a hundred yards later I was on the Powderface Trail warming up in the beautiful sunshine as I made the last km to the car park with a smile on my face and squelchy boots.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Return to Cox Hill

Postby RicKamila » Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Stunning photos as usual Chris.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 pm

RicKamila wrote:Stunning photos as usual Chris.

Cheers RK.....or is it Borat :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby RicKamila » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 pm

ChrisW wrote:
RicKamila wrote:Stunning photos as usual Chris.

Cheers RK.....or is it Borat :lol:

I was going to say about your photos that "I Like". :lol:

I have no idea why I have Borat as my avatar, just like the character a lot :D
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 17, 2012 1:44 pm

I agree with Borat...(I mean: with RicKamila :lol: :lol: ) Another stunner, Chris! Keep them coming :D :D

I find it really annoying when I have to turn back from a hill :evil: It keeps nagging then, just as you described it. It's like a little devil sitting on my shoulder, laughing - ha ha ha you can't do it! So I have to go back and prove (to myself and that little devil) that I actually CAN do it. At the moment, Aonach Mor in Nevis range is such a devil. We attempted it in 2010 but had to turn back due to horrible weather (heavy rain and strong wind). Still had no opportunity to try it again... But I will - otherwise the devil won't shut up :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I agree with Borat...(I mean: with RicKamila :lol: :lol: ) Another stunner, Chris! Keep them coming :D :D
I find it really annoying when I have to turn back from a hill :evil: It keeps nagging then, just as you described it. It's like a little devil sitting on my shoulder, laughing - ha ha ha you can't do it! So I have to go back and prove (to myself and that little devil) that I actually CAN do it. At the moment, Aonach Mor in Nevis range is such a devil. We attempted it in 2010 but had to turn back due to horrible weather (heavy rain and strong wind). Still had no opportunity to try it again... But I will - otherwise the devil won't shut up :lol:

Thanks BP, that's exactly how I felt about this one, the trip really was about ticking it off in my head more than anything else, though it did turn out to be a great day :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Another great report and pics but I can't help wondering just what your plan is if you encounter a bear :?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby garyhortop » Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Hey Chris, Good to see you out in the mountains again!! Great report and some stunning pics as usual....not sure i fancy wading in ice cold water though....but then again...given the options!! Keep 'em coming! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Another great report and pics but I can't help wondering just what your plan is if you encounter a bear :?

Cheers JK, I've actually met a bear whilst out hiking in a meadow in Yellowstone, I followed the recognised 'back away slowly' approach which worked fine on that occasion. In Alaska one walked right out of dense forest in front of me only a couple of metres away, it looked at me, crossed the trail and disappeared into dense forest at the other side of the trial :shock: I do carry bear spray and bear bangers (like a shotgun cartridge going off but without the shotgun) I also carry flares and emergency medical kit, so I know what to do and I'm as well equipped to do it as I can be. Ultimately bears aren't out there hunting us they would rather avoid us at all costs, on the occasion you may meet one it doesn't necessarily follow that it will attack (in fact it is unlikely)....bear attacks are like shark attacks very infrequent but hugely feared because of the terrible nature of such a thing....my best weapon is my singing as a wander the trail...its bleeding awful :lol:
Here is the Yellowstone monster that had me shaking (though I told the Mrs it was due to the cold) :lol:

garyhortop wrote:Hey Chris, Good to see you out in the mountains again!! Great report and some stunning pics as usual....not sure i fancy wading in ice cold water though....but then again...given the options!! Keep 'em coming! :D

Cheers Gary, didn't fancy it myself mate but I was too lazy to haul myself up such a steep bank :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby morag1 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 am

Nice to see the landscape without all the heavy snow covering, hoping to see more and more over the coming months

Dont like the look of that bear :(
morag1

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 18, 2012 4:05 pm

morag1 wrote:Nice to see the landscape without all the heavy snow covering, hoping to see more and more over the coming months Dont like the look of that bear :(

Thanks Morag, the weather is really picking up now and the winter road closures in the mountains are opening again, its almost time to really get out there and enjoy the hills....as for that bear....he's a beauty :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby jonny616 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm

As Morag says nice to see these hills without snow, although your snow trip reports are always a good read.

Well done getting this one back. My kids have just asked me to print the chipmunk pic :D
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 18, 2012 5:46 pm

jonny616 wrote:As Morag says nice to see these hills without snow, although your snow trip reports are always a good read. Well done getting this one back. My kids have just asked me to print the chipmunk pic :D

Cheers Jonny, glad to hear the kids are liking the pics too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri May 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Another report report from that top drawer of yours Chris ( must be bulging at the seams ),looks like the snow is now starting to melt at a higher level,not like here.
025.JPG
Ring of Steall (the mamores)

Looking forward to the next one mate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 18, 2012 7:12 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another report report from that top drawer of yours Chris ( must be bulging at the seams ),looks like the snow is now starting to melt at a higher level,not like here. Looking forward to the next one mate.

Cheers Gammy, the weather really is hard to fathom isn't it, a few weeks ago you were bathing in sunlight with not a flake in sight :wtf: . There is still a bit of snow falling in the hills here but it melts the next day....I am getting pretty excited at the new range of hills opening up. Good to see you out and about in all weathers mate :D
ChrisW
Rambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland