walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Charleston, Nevada

Mount Charleston, Nevada

Postby Milesy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Date walked: 08/10/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On my honeymoon to Vegas I figured it would be criminal to not get outside of the Vegas Strip and see some of the real Nevada, so with a guide from the Las Vegas Mountaineering club, who offered to take me out for the day we climbed Mount Charleston to Lee Peak (11,289 ft) and Charleston Peak (11,916 ft).

Started off in Lee Canyon at about 8000ft giving a 4000ft cimb for the sunlight allowances.

Took an immodium for a dodgy belly with the diet change being away from home gave me very bad dedyration which was not good and I went though a LOT of fluids on the day. School boy error.

Climbed the NW ridge of Lee Peak through the bristlecone pine forrest (very very very old trees, some can date as far back as 5000 years). Came down to the beleach between Lee Peak and Charleston Peak and then made for the final summit. The final climb was very difficult due to the altitude and every step was very hard to make and breathing was laboured.

Had a brilliant day, but very dehydrated, and after about 5 hours I was feeling the effects of the high altitude.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67309481@N ... 603515810/
Milesy
Stravaiging

Re: Mount Charleston, Nevada

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:00 pm

And what did your new missus think to that? :D
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:12 pm

I may be married but not yet shackled ;)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 am

Great pics Milesy... those are some good hills! I'd love to get out that way again sometime soon :D
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby Milesy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Thanks I really enjoyed it! Going back out that way next year and going to do Mount Whitney or Mount Williamson! :D

This is me on Lee Peak.

This is me on Charleston Peak

Milesy
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland