walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

DOVEDALE ROUND - HARTSOP

DOVEDALE ROUND - HARTSOP

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:14 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dove Crag, Hart Crag, Hartsop above How, High Hartsop Dodd, Little Hart Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Hart Crag, Little Hart Crag

Date walked: 12/10/2009

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday promised to be a lovely day so we were up early and parked up at Cow Bridge car park near to Brothers Water.
IMG_4751.jpg
Our Route
The previous photo was taken later in the week from Brock Crags. This allowed us a leg stretching walk alongside the lake towards Hartsop Hall and to the base of our first steep ascent, High Hartsop Dodd at 519m.
IMG_4446.jpg
Our first Wainwright of the day
Although hard work we soon gained height and the views to Angletarn Pikes and Brock Crags were brilliant.
IMG_4456.jpg
Angletarn Pikes/Brock Crags
Also the valley floor was opening up and Place Fell appearing larger
IMG_4466.jpg
Valley floor
Time for a photo shoot
IMG_4473.jpg
Yours truly
After a very steep last section we were on the summit of High Hartsop Dodd
IMG_4480.jpg
Summit with Little Hart Crag behind
We set off for the next top of Little Hart Crag with the occaisional backward glance of our route
IMG_4494.jpg
Back to High Hartsop Dodd
To our right we could see the round of our route and St. Sunday Crag appearing
IMG_4496.jpg
St.Sunday Crag
As we reached Little Hart Crag at 637m we could see down Scandale Pass
IMG_4503.jpg
Scandale Pass
IMG_4512.jpg
Summit of Little Hart Crag
We crossed the flattish section to the base of the climb to take us on to the Fairfield Horseshoe and then to Dove Crag
IMG_4534.jpg
Climb to Dove Crag, looking towards,Knott,Rampsgill,Kidsty,High St etc
IMG_4546.jpg
Summit of Dove Crag at 792m
We could see so many fells on this crystal clear day, miles to the east and west
IMG_4550.jpg
View to Western Fells beyond Fairfield Horseshoe
We slogged our way up the boulder strewn Hart Crag, our 4th Wainwright of the day and our highest point at 822m, we could see Helvellyn clearly.
IMG_4567.jpg
Hart Crag summit
We could see clearly towards Heron Pike
IMG_4581.jpg
Towards Heron Pike
Also we could see our descent down towards Hartsop Over How, what a glorious October day
IMG_4593.jpg
Our descent
The descent off Hart Crag was very rocky and very steep and hard work for little legs :lol:
IMG_4597.jpg
Hart Crag descent
IMG_4604.jpg
Stunning views everywhere
It seemed a long walk through boggy parts to reach the summit of Hartsop Over How at 580m
IMG_4610.jpg
Summit of Hartsop Over How
IMG_4619.jpg
Place Fell
It was then a trudge along the ridge and down to the valley bottom and back to the car and luckily a short drive to our cottage rather tha a long drive home :lol: Total ascent was 1335m :(
Last edited by susanmyatt on Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: DOVEDALE ROUND - HARTSOP

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:25 am

Great post - I love the Hartsop Dodds and Middle Dodd! You're making me really miss that area...
mountain coward

Postby canisp » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:00 pm

A grand walk, good to see these hills again and reminisce :D, i did them the opposite way round a few months ago and at the time thought it would be quite a steep hike up the ridge to High Hartsop Dodd, as i was descending it. Can only imagine AW loved the view from High Hartsop Dodd as it hardly has any re ascent to make it a separate hill.

Ps you missed ticking Little Hart Crag off in Hewitts included on this walk:
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks Canisp, I don't know which way is best, it is a trudge to the foot of Hart Crag your way and its very rock strewn to the top and then as you say the steep descent of High Hartsop with tired legs :( That day we could hear the stags bellowing in the next valley and we were lucky to see them a couple of days later, see next walk.Thanks Sue
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby 37lumleyst » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:01 am

As always a cracking report with reems of great photos - I love that part of the Lakes but dont know it as well as I'd like to :(
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:26 pm

It was such a lovely day it was hard what to leave out, thanks to digital we take around 150 or more on a walk like that, my husband will put remaining walks on the site on saturday, we visited Angle Tarn and how wonderful is that, the photo's don't do it justice, thanks Sue
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland