walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Mt Baldy from the South

Canada - Mt Baldy from the South

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:42 am

Date walked: 01/06/2012

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 624m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On my last hike a couple of weeks ago I picked up a chest infection and have done little since. Earlier this week I took a short hike and scramble on a local ridge to see how I felt, with no after effects I decided to have a go at a moderate little hill today. I thought back to my very first hike in Canada, Baldy Pass, and realised that was an ideal hike with potential to go further. I set off for the car park a little later than usual after talking to my son on the phone for 90 minutes as he picked his way through a traffic jam back home.

On arrival at the car park I met a guy named Kevin Papke who was continuing a challenge he had set himself to raise funds for a dementia charity having lost his dad to the condition. Kevin has a great website called Summits for Seniors and has set himself the target of 50 summits this year, he hopes to raise $100,000 and has so far achieved almost $80,000 which is an incredible achievement.

As we talked it turns out we are initially heading in the same direction, with Kevin doing 'Midnight Peak' from the top of the pass. Whilst getting suited and booted the local CTV News van arrived and a guy asked if he could film us getting ready and get a few words on camera for this evenings news. The basis of the story was unprepared hikers/climbers going into the mountains and then requiring rescue (which fed into a large joint emergency response conference in Kananaskis tomorrow) so Kevin and I were delayed further whilst doing a '15 minutes of fame' effort. Eventually we got under way with Kevin taking the lead (at some pace too)

The CTV guy didn't get the 'unprepared hikers' he really wanted but was please to have found the exact opposite and focussed on our bear spray, bangers, flares, emergency blanket, first aid kit, multi purpose tools etc with a smile.

the trail is the same one I used back in winter when I made my first hike here but the path is now snow free and good going. We met a couple of groups of schoolchildren with teachers returning from a short morning hike and also 2 rangers from the parks department who had been clearing fallen trees from the trail.
Though Kevin was great company and we were having a laugh ascending toward the summit of the pass, I could see I was holding him back and told him to get going, I said perhaps we'll meet up later at the car park, and if not I would check his website and drop him an email later. With Kevin gone I slowed my pace back to my regular plod and found the going much easier I have to say.

On reaching the summit of the pass I felt pretty good and decided to carry on up to the summit cairn on the south end of Baldy, and maybe even further. My route climbed slowly through scattered pines along a broad ridge.

before starting out along the ridge I looked up toward Midnight Peak to see if I could see Kevin, sure enough he was well on the way up the ridge heading exactly opposite my intended route.

there is a clear trail picking its way through the pines as I begin my ascent toward Mt Baldy with the views beginning to open out with every step I take

the increased elevation soon gives a spectacular view down into the Kananaskis valley as a few scattered showers blow through further South

I look back again to see if I can spot Kevin but not this time, I think he must be in the last stand of trees along the ridge

this early stages of the ridge are very easy going, great underfoot with a gentle rise until it narrows and heads upward toward 'the Tower', which doesn't look overly imposing from here (right hand side of shot)

I grab a quick shot of yours truly with the valley behind before heading off again, onward and upward

as the ridge narrows down there is a short easy scramble with an obvious route through, to bring me to the next level

from here 'the Tower' looks a little more imposing across the orange scree, conditions are great but there is an incredible wind belting through the pass and up and over the ridge right at this point, but it is welcome now cooling the heat of the sun as I make my way along the easy going trail

almost at the start of the short scrambling section at the top of 'the Tower' I'm trying to pick a route as I approach, the ledge on the left looked good to start with but looks worse and worse as I get near.

there is a section that looks quite worn heading around to the right so I make an initial attempt at this side but ultimately it 'dead ends' into some more sheer sides with too much drop off to risk, its not a wasted effort though as the view across the prairies from this side is beautiful

I work my way back around toward the left and soon find a pretty good ascent route which was hidden behind a single pine tree at the bottom, from a point about half way up the scramble I stop for a rest and grab a shot of the view down the ridge and across to midnight Peak

zooming in on the summit of Midnight Peak I see Kevin making his way through a band of snow over knee deep and can't help but feel for the guy, I hate that stuff, but he is still going almost the same pace as he was on the flat...I'm glad I didn't try to go with him

a few steps upward and I'm looking over the top of 'the Tower' and along the ridge to my target, I can even make out a small cairn on the summit now but just need to be careful of the last few steps along this left hand edge first...this stuff is a little 'mobile'

as I break out onto the ridge top again the view back along the ridge and up to Midnight Peak is superb and I take a moment to admire it and look for Kevin to check on his progress

and there he is, standing tall at the cairn on the summit of Midnight Peak, 7650 feet and another one in the bag for his old dad.

looking around I still have a small ascent to reach my target (6930 feet) so I get my head down and head upward once more

in no time at all I'm there, the expanse of Baldy laid before me, peaks in every direction. To the right, prairies stretching out to the East and looking left more mountains than any man could ever climb stretching away the West

looking back across the pass the incredible size of the surrounding forest is clear to see as is the entire ridge between here and Midnight Peak.

I head back to my rucksack and unload half a dozen oranges that I've been looking forward to for some time. I sit down on the cool rocks, in the heat of the mid afternoon sunshine, on the top of a mountain in beautiful Kananaskis and tuck into the best tasting fruit I've ever had.

I sit and watch a storm working its way up the valley from the South and my thoughts of going further are curtailed, its been a great day I should take that and not be greedy.

I walk around the ridge a while longer, plotting a course for a 3 peak hit on the North end of Baldy at some (as yet undetermined) point in time

looking out across these peaks I feel like a kid in a sweet shop and I can only see about 0.0001% of the peaks around here, this is a good day

after enjoying a nice 15 minutes up top I'm soon back at 'the Tower' as the storm rolls by without dropping any rain in this area, it looks like Kevin has escaped it too, but further down the valley there is a good downpour going on

back at the summit cairn on the pass I stop a while and see if I can see anything of Kevin on his descent, I have a few minutes and eat my last orange before heading off down the trail.
after 5 minutes I hear Kevin shouting "YO BEAR" in the distance (a common thing in the mountains to make sure you don't surprise a bear, the idea being that any bears hear you and moves off) I laugh out loud and shout back to him, a couple of minutes later he appears, having descended down an avalanche slope right to the trail again.

We share a pleasant 45 minute wander out, putting the world to rights as we go and part company as friends who will be hiking together again at some point in the future...and it may well be in an attack on the North face of Baldy.

I don't know if we made the news as I wasn't home in time to see it, I don't really care either; this was another great day in the mountains.

The map shows my route in dark red and Kevins route in gray.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Mt Baldy from the South

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 am

Another fantastic report. I think it`s time you won the report of the month. Keep them coming. :clap:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:12 am

You need to stop this Chris................................................cannie find enough words to discribe the views & quality of your writing,good to here you have found a walking partner, also looking forward to the next report.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 am

Been waiting on this one Chris and you have not let me down. Great report, super photos with stunning views and glad you're on the mend after your little lay off :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Another great report with superb pics, and now youre a film star too:lol: too
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Another fantastic report. I think it`s time you won the report of the month. Keep them coming. :clap:

Cheers WW I really appreciate that, I'm a long way from Report of the month though (I've had a runner up spot before :wink: )...my reports are always just a load of pictures, there are some great descriptive writers on here who deserve it for their more worthwhile efforts :D
gammy leg walker wrote:You need to stop this Chris................................................cannie find enough words to discribe the views & quality of your writing,good to here you have found a walking partner, also looking forward to the next report.

Thanks Gammy, the views around here make the photography pretty easy, it is a stunning place and easy to find a great view in any direction, hoping to get out again Monday :wink:
Johnny Corbett wrote:Been waiting on this one Chris and you have not let me down. Great report, super photos with stunning views and glad you're on the mend after your little lay off :thumbup:

Thanks JC, it was good to get back to this one and a really enjoyable scramble at the top made it special, then I saw all those other summits and started plotting again :lol:
L-Hiking wrote:Another great report with superb pics, and now youre a film star too:lol: too

:lol: Cheers LH, 'Film Star' might be stretching it a bit mate....but I'm going to wander around downtown tomorrow and see if anyone asks for an autograph :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby monty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Just awesome scenery Chris. Unbelievable, beautiful , awe inspiring. Good luck to Kevin, what a guy. Thanks for showing those amazing photos. Oh, and well done on getting back out again on "the trail of the lonesome pine" :lol: :lol: . :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 pm

monty wrote:Just awesome scenery Chris. Unbelievable, beautiful , awe inspiring. Good luck to Kevin, what a guy. Thanks for showing those amazing photos. Oh, and well done on getting back out again on "the trail of the lonesome pine" :lol: :lol: . :D

Cheers Monty, incredible scenery is one thing they have in abundance around here and I'm sure this is nowhere near the best of it, when the snow is melted you'll see some of the more remote and much bigger hills.....I can't wait :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby garyhortop » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Hey Chris great report and stunning pics...as usual!! So the Baldy is beaten!!?? Some pretty amazing Pics of Kevin on the route as well...it just gives some sense of the scale of the peaks out there!! Top Report!! :D

Keep 'em coming! :clap:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm

garyhortop wrote:Hey Chris great report and stunning pics...as usual!! So the Baldy is beaten!!?? Some pretty amazing Pics of Kevin on the route as well...it just gives some sense of the scale of the peaks out there!! Top Report!! :D Keep 'em coming! :clap:

Cheers Gary, only the south summit of Baldy is beaten...there is a bit left for me to return to at my leisure :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Stunning as always Chris. You are getting higher & higher :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:02 am

jonny616 wrote:Stunning as always Chris. You are getting higher & higher :clap:

Cheers Jonny, I'm actually feeling a bit fitter of late so hope to keep up the good stuff as the snow recedes :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby clivew » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Fantastic set of pics Chris, and a great report; love to head that way sometime and see it all close up, apart from a close up of a bear of course :clap: :clap:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

clivew wrote:Fantastic set of pics Chris, and a great report; love to head that way sometime and see it all close up, apart from a close up of a bear of course :clap: :clap:

Thanks Clive, believe me when I say the photos don't do justice to this incredible landscape, the scale more than anything is so difficult to convey. I would advise anyone with the means to visit the Canadian Rockies to do so and see the beauty of this place first hand :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Unbelievable. You are one lucky guy. What a landscape to explore.
As for us - we spent the afternoon decorating - that's how bad things have got!!!!
Thought I would see the outside world- just to check there is a place it's not raining.
Keep em coming. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland