walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Mell and Clough Head - a pair of farewell fells

Great Mell and Clough Head - a pair of farewell fells

Postby old danensian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Mell Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head

Date walked: 09/05/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 855m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day of moving north had arrived.

After eight weeks of living in a spare bedroom of a very understanding daughter and her tolerant household in Hampshire we were finally getting the keys to our new house in Scotland.

“I’ll pop into the Lakes as I pass.”

It must have sounded as casual as going to get some milk from Sainsbury’s on the way home from work.

But no, there was a pair of unclimbed fells worth a quick detour off the M6. I’d driven past the dome of Great Mell Fell too often, and I’d done it’s little brother a few years ago: an hour at most. Then there was Clough Head, sat at the end of the fells running north from Helvellyn. A couple of hours would see off the end of the line that had failed to fall to the son-in-law and I when we ran out of steam a few years ago after collecting the clutch of Dodds that precede it.

Farewell-01.jpg
Access to fellside from above Brownrigg Farm

With the car tucked up the lane before Brownrigg Farm I passed one gate, from which the path beyond would bring you back to where you started. Once through the second gate, as the track emerged from the woodland, it was just a case of heading upwards as a variety of paths laced their way to the summit. A few wind-blasted trees provide passing interest and an expanding view to the north of Blencathra is revealed as the grassy slopes rise to the unassuming cairn.

Farewell-02.jpg
Wind-sculpted tree - one of many

Farewell-03.jpg
Skiddaw and Blencathra from Great Mell Fell

Behind, to the south and west, the geography and layout of the nearby Lakes is spread out, with plenty of time to pick out familiar fells on the easy descent back to the car. It was a thoroughly enjoyable wander and one that may well be repeated when an hour or so is spare on future visits.

I resisted the temptation to cross from Great Mell Fell to Clough Head and opted for the car through Threlkeld and down to Wanthwaite Bridge. Just enough space to squeeze the car off the road and I was away again.

Farewell-04.jpg
Looking back down to Wanthwaite at the start of the walk

A midweek jaunt meant that the cycle / 4x4 track was mercifully empty, making the walk up past the quarries to Hause Well a pleasant stroll. Blencathra brooded across the valley, a distraction from the steepening slope stretching upwards to White Pike and Clough Head beyond. Soon enough the stile gaving access to the climb hove into view.

Farewell-05.jpg
Blencathra and the path to Hause Well

The 200m was soon gained and the slope above rose gently, giving access to the cairn on Clough Head in no time at all. It was a surprisingly effortless ninety minutes, made all the easier by being able to travel light; pockets sufficed for all that had been needed today.

Farewell-06.jpg
Great Mell Fell from Clough Head

Farewell-07.jpg
Skiddaw from Clough Head

Within an hour I was back at the car having left the only other person I met on the top departing for the various Dodds on the ridge beyond. I descended along a clear path that cut back across the screes below the top before heading more directly to the quarries below.

A bigger journey lay ahead: a crossing of the border in our move to Scotland. As I worried about Pickfords managing to ferry our goods and chattels safely out of store, I pondered on the prospect of future trips to the Lakes: by moving to Scotland I’d still be nearer to the Lakes than I had been before.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Great Mell and Clough Head - a pair of farewell fells

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Great stuff OD, any time you are passing the lakes is always a good time to pop in :wink: fantastic to have the place almost to yourself too, that just adds to the enjoyment. Love that shot of the wind sculpted tree, it reminds me of so many trees on the coast in Cornwall.

Hope all goes well with the move and Pickfords prove to be as effective for you as they have been for us (several times now) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 pm

A nice way to break up a journey from Hampshire to Scotland, OD. Those two hills are great viewpoints.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I am sure you will venture South again Nigel, Good luck with the move to Scotland.. Looking forward to reading your reports

Geoff :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland