walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Yamnuska - Wall of Rock

Canada - Yamnuska - Wall of Rock

by ChrisW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Date walked: 21/06/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 9.8 km

Ascent: 828m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Canada - Yamnuska - Wall of Rock

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:14 am

lindindin wrote:Wow, what a mountain. Great report!

Thanks lindindin, I thought the same looking at your post on the Alps in Germany, the grass is always greener eh :lol:
SusieThePensioner wrote:Chris, what an amazing walk, just loved your report :thumbup:
I really like the photos of the flowers but, wow, such fantastic views and those drops just made my stomach churn :lol:

Thanks Susie, I'm lucky that I don't mind heights at all so I just love the views without the churn :lol: though I do maintain a healthy respect for such huge drop offs :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:18 am

Feel like I can reply to your post now that my head has stopped spinning ... got vertigo just looking at the photos of that ledge. Awesome report as usual ... gonna have to get out that way again, possibly for a big anniversary
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 am

Phooooey wrote:Feel like I can reply to your post now that my head has stopped spinning ... got vertigo just looking at the photos of that ledge. Awesome report as usual ... gonna have to get out that way again, possibly for a big anniversary

Cheers Phooooey, this hike really is an 'all in one' but honestly, that ridge is not as bad as it looks :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Cracking report Chris - very enjoyable :thumbup: Looks a bit scary in places though.....some bits almost look like the Grey Corries - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:34 pm

rockhopper wrote:Cracking report Chris - very enjoyable :thumbup: Looks a bit scary in places though.....some bits almost look like the Grey Corries - cheers :D

Cheers Rockhopper, it's a great mountain as long as you don't mind heights :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby lindindin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 pm

ChrisW wrote:Thanks lindindin, I thought the same looking at your post on the Alps in Germany, the grass is always greener eh :lol:

:D probably!
lindindin
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2

Postby willywalker247 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 am

Truly stunning. :clap: :clap:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby malky_c » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm

One of my favourite reports of yours so far (even if I have said that before!) - that looked impressive. I have to admit I was wondering how the hell you would get down again - most of the shots from the summit show a big drop :shock:

Some dedication with the self-timer too. you must have had to leg it pretty fast up some nasty scree to get the first scrambling one 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:28 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Truly stunning. :clap: :clap:

Thanks WW, it's easy to get good reports going with scenery like this.

malky_c wrote:One of my favourite reports of yours so far (even if I have said that before!) - that looked impressive. I have to admit I was wondering how the hell you would get down again - most of the shots from the summit show a big drop :shock:

Some dedication with the self-timer too. you must have had to leg it pretty fast up some nasty scree to get the first scrambling one 8)

Cheers Malky, this is firmly my second favourite, but Nahai Ridge is still the winner....for now. This lump does have one of the best descent routes I've ever seen, all mountains should be made that way :lol: running down that scree was fantastic :D

You're right about that scramble too I had to charge up there like a lunatic to get that shot (though 10 seconds is quite a long time) I'm not as young as I used to be :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Benjaminnevis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Really braw report Chris and stunning photo's :clap: :clap: .

are you still using the same camera.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Wow!! I fancy some of that!

*must get to Canada*
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Benjaminnevis wrote:Really braw report Chris and stunning photo's :clap: :clap: . are you still using the same camera.

Thanks B, I am still using the 5D MKI - I got myself a new MKII when the price dropped at the release of the MKIII but because I regularly bang it against the rocks and generally rough it about I decided to keep the MKII as a 'family days out' camera and stick with the old stuff in the mountains. The MKI is still a great piece of kit (5 years since I bought it) it just doesn't have the low light capabilities of more modern cameras but the results still speak for themselves :wink:

HighlandSC wrote:Wow!! I fancy some of that! *must get to Canada*

Hey HSC, how goes West Virginia...are you guys baking down there right now? I fancied this lump from the moment I saw it on the internet before we actually moved here but had to let the snow clear as it is dicey enough as it is, well worth the wait though, a really enjoyable mountain :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Excellent stuff Chris

Oh by the way I passed Cliffords Tower in York today!!

I am sure the wall of rock is a mutch better place to be

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Excellent stuff Chris, Oh by the way I passed Cliffords Tower in York today!!
I am sure the wall of rock is a mutch better place to be, Cheers

Cheers LH, I think you're right mate, though home is never far from my mind :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:46 pm

ChrisW wrote:
HighlandSC wrote:Wow!! I fancy some of that! *must get to Canada*

Hey HSC, how goes West Virginia...are you guys baking down there right now? I fancied this lump from the moment I saw it on the internet before we actually moved here but had to let the snow clear as it is dicey enough as it is, well worth the wait though, a really enjoyable mountain :D

Yep, starting to melt! Due to hit 100F (38C) tomorrow for the first time this year, summer is cranking up - installed a new air conditioner tonight just in time! It's strange living somewhere now where it's too hot to do anything strenuous outside (never a problem in Scotland!).
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland