walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Heart Mountain Horseshoe - Sunshine & Scrambling

Canada - Heart Mountain Horseshoe - Sunshine & Scrambling

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Date walked: 28/06/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 12.1 km

Ascent: 986m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When hiking Yamnuska last week I looked over at this hike from the summit, when I got home I tried looking it up in my guide books, strangely it doesn't appear in any of them (I have 6) though I had seen it online months ago, so I tracked down a good description of the hike online and noted the start point and key turns before heading out. Anyone thinking of doing this hike should note the 'moderate' scramble rating.

The access is very straightforward, a 44 mile (71km) drive West on the Trans-Canada Highway before taking the exit for 'Lac Des Arcs' then turn left on the overpass across the highway and drop down into the trailhead car park.

The car park is well equipped with toilet facilities, notices and trailhead signage though this is mainly for the many school parties that come here to walk along Heart Creek which is a nice, short, level hike to a waterfall at the head of Heart Creek. The trail to Heart Mountain uses the first 1km of this route.

that initial 1km is a little disappointing due to traffic noise from the Trans-Canada which is very close and the trail stays parallel with the highway for that entire distance, along that heavily wooded trail a meadow opens up to give the first sighting of Heart Mountain

there is a good bridge over the creek which is very useful today as overnight rain has swelled the waters which are raging past beneath the structure.

soon after the bridge the trail splits into two, the easy creek walk and the scramble route to Heart Mountain, the latter bears a large yellow warning sign informing people of the scramble. As I begin the ascent I soon get a glimpse over the trees looking back at the Bow Valley and the 'Lac Des Arcs' which has a good ripple on it today due to the strong winds.

the rain seems to have brought out a good number of blooms along the way and the route is dotted with colour adding to the enjoyment of the initial ascent.

Ahead the heart can be seen clearly from the ascent ridge as can the rather daunting looking scrambles (though they don't look nearly as bad in pictures)

the ridge very quickly becomes a steep constant ascent with huge 'steps' along the way which help me gain elevation quickly, the first step is very abrupt but easy to climb up thanks to plenty of foot/hand holds

further ahead I reach a large section of rock identical to that found on Loder peak, with it's pumice like grip it is a joy to scramble up and I an soon over another step.

the pumice like rock actually flows down the mountain in a solid river that switches sides along the ridge, I took the left side here on top of the pumice as the grip is far better even though it looks smooth

I did have to get off the pumice to scramble the next step as it was too steep (as can be seen as it falls away on the left of this picture) it's interesting how it flows like a river over the rock beneath it, as if it came later after the mountain was made. From here I can see the flat wall of rock that is Yamnuska (centre frame) and Loder Peak to it's left.

moving forward is a mixture of steep ,hard hiking and scrambling, with the next step always appearing on the horizon as you top the last one until you begin to wonder just how many steps there are.

I thought I had got on the wrong route at one point hiking along this wall side I could not see a route up, not even a hard scramble, it seemed I was penned in by the smooth face of the rock and the fact that it leaned in toward me making a scramble difficult even if I could find a spot to start.

I realised I was going to have to back track a little to find a scramble route and sure enough as I walked back a short way I saw these signs on the rock face, the reason I didn't see them on the ascent is that they can only be seen from this direction, once found it is still a nice little scramble up here particularly to pull yourself over the lip of that adverse camber.

now, looking up at what I believe is the last step there is a short scree section and then a point where a choice of left or right needs to be made for the scramble up

I chose the left hand route as it appeared to offer more foot/hand holds, I was about half way up it admiring the view east to the prairies when I realised I'd made a mistake. I had to back track a little and then traverse right to reach a much better route.

the right hand side route offered superb views to the west along the Bow Valley and an orange scree chute that provided a much easier ascent

Though the step wasn't the last one it was close and just one more 12 footer and I was looking up at the summit, for the first time in quite a while I was then able to stand straight up, the strong wind was welcome and it cooled me nicely as I walked the last few steps to my first summit of the day.

it is an interesting summit being right on the edge of the alpine region it bears large forested areas tucked away on the non windward side and bare rock elsewhere.

a look at the route ahead shows I need to descend first down to a well trodden pathway along the ridge, the aim of the day being to follow this ridge round to the left, the descent is easy as a trail leads away through the trees to a steep rock stepped down climb

after dropping down from the ridge it's a steady wander along the grassy top with a short ascent to a nice little overlook. Looking back to Heart Mountain summit and across the mountain tops shows fresh new snow on the higher peaks

ahead the mountains to the south-east are barely clinging on to their snow pack, my continuing trail can be seen to the left of this shot though I need to return from the overlook to rejoin the trial, I already have my eye on the next prominent point at the corner of the ridge ahead.

From the next prominent position I look back past the previous overlook and across the 'Lac Des Arcs' and much further west along the Bow valley. It is a great location and I take the time to sit a while and have an orange overlooking the stunning scene

Starting away again I cross a small south facing meadow on the top of the ridge and even a little woodland area, its almost like another world compared to the craggy ascent and cold western flanks of the mountain

there are even the usual suspects in terms of flora up here and tons of fir cones on the trees

the ridge continues and rises again into the alpine zone and another distant peak, my route is to that summit then left though clearly there is a route to the right too...perhaps one for the future.

starting out along the next stage gives stunning views to the south and the razor sharp ridges leading off in all directions

to my left I can see my intended route, still a way to go it seems but there's no hurry as I make my way along the ridge ascending again out of the warm forested zone

the ridge that heads out to the south-east is fascinating and the peaks beyond it even more so though there seems to be a significant step further along that looks inaccessible from here

looking back at the route already travelled and its summits and smaller prominences, on the left the lush green meadow and beyond the warm summit forest, it is an intriguing mix of nature at its best

on the summit I find another of those small canisters that holds a summit log and I duly add my usual entry to the mix, the mountain in the far distance to the left of centre of this shot is the north peak of Mt Baldy, now fully clear of snow...perhaps a target in the next few weeks. In front of Baldy is Barrier Lake and above that on the far left Horton Hill that I hiked back in March

looking north-east from the summit a good path heads down to my next target across another of those high mountain meadows, I half expect to see a bear wandering across here as it looks so much like a clip form a nature documentary

I drop down over the first and second meadows and into a low point before the next summit where I find a comfortable spot to finally sit down an have my lunch. Two young women come by and stop for a while to talk about the usual stuff before setting off again, here they add scale to the shot as they make their way along the ascent route.

reluctantly leaving my lunch location and setting off for the final summit I ascend for the last time today (and to be honest I'm glad that is the last ascent)

It's a short fast ascent to the final summit and I realise I haven't taken the 'evidence' shot yet so I set up the camera and strike a pose

I can now look back over the route travelled, from here that rock looks a lot like the edge of a clam shell, the far right is Heart Mountain though the steep ascent route is out of sight around the other side.

to the east is the pointed peak of Yates Mountain where I hiked to the fire lookout in April and met the ranger 'Pete' I gave him a wave from over here just in case he had the binoculars out, to the right of Yates Mountain is Barrier Lake and behind it Mt Baldy. With the naked eye you can actually see the skyscrapers of Calgary from here too.

knowing I'm going to be descending after this, I stay on the final summit enjoying the views as a young German couple come by, we have a natter about the mountains and hiking before moving on to the football. They are pleasant company but I leave them to their descent together and use their departure to provide scale to this north facing shot.

I give them time to get out of sight then begin my own descent using a side wall as a wind break on the way down. Though it is steep in places the entire descent route is hiking with only one hands on scramble that was very short.

a final look over the entire horseshoe (almost) before turning an dropping steeply down into the forest below

Through the beautiful dense forest in the cool shade of the trees is a nice end to the hike, unfortunately there is still a 3km trek adjacent to the Trans-Canada to get back to the car park, the scenery is still wonderful but the road noise is about as bad as you can imagine.

as I reach the trail split where the warning sign highlights the scramble route that I took on the way in, I am starting to feel the effects of that long scramble and the ridge hike and I'm looking forward to getting back to the truck. I take the right hand fork here and make a weary last 1km to the car park.

crossing back through the meadow I take a last look back at Heart Mountain...doesn't look so bad from here ;)

I really enjoyed this hike/scramble but I'm not sure I would return here, the road noise on the way in and the way out kill it a little and with so many other hills to go at I have enough to keep me busy. I'm really starting to enjoy the scrambling again but it takes a lot more energy than hiking and leaves me knowing I've done it by the end of the day.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Heart Mountain Horseshoe - Sunshine & Scramblin

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Great report Chris... :clap: Your best yet, the narrative is excellent :clap:

Good to see you are able to point out and recognise distant mountains..always helps with navigation

You have toooooo much time on your hands pal :clap: :lol:

Great...Hope Webtogs Gareth notes this one

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Stretch » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Most impressive sir, most impressive. Same goes for the last report you distracted me with. :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Great report Chris... :clap: Your best yet, the narrative is excellent :clap:
Good to see you are able to point out and recognise distant mountains..always helps with navigation
You have toooooo much time on your hands pal :clap: :lol:
Great...Hope Webtogs Gareth notes this one, Cheers

Cheers LH, its great to start feeling familiar with the surroundings, it makes the whole thing much more enjoyable; though the receding snow means I'll soon be heading into the 'proper' mountains where it will be all new again :roll:

Stretch wrote:Most impressive sir, most impressive. Same goes for the last report you distracted me with. :lol:

Cheers Stretch, it's a good hike....but there are better things to come :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 am

Another brilliant report Chris,some stunning views you always seem to have,what a play ground.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:21 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Another brilliant report Chris,some stunning views you always seem to have,what a play ground.

Cheers Gammy, you wouldn't believe how small an area I've explored so far.....there is so much more to come mate :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 am

ChrisW wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:Another brilliant report Chris,some stunning views you always seem to have,what a play ground.

Cheers Gammy, you wouldn't believe how small an area I've explored so far.....there is so much more to come mate :D

No sure I can take much more Chris,the weather here if terrible,been raining in the Stirling area for 7/8 days solid & no end in site according to weather reports. :crazy:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:40 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:37 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
ChrisW wrote:

No sure I can take much more Chris,the weather here if terrible,been raining in the Stirling area for 7/8 days solid & no end in site according to weather reports. :crazy:

Well that's pants Gammy, 8 bleedin days :shock: one thing they don't get much of here is rain. They have had the wettest June for 5 years in Calgary and the locals are moaning about the rain....Sarah and I have hardly noticed any. The good thing is it tends to bucket down for 20 mins then the sun comes out again....none of those miserable gray days that just hang around...you need a holiday in Canada mate :wink:
jonny616 wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap:

:lol: :thumbup: and there's so much more to come jonny :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm with jonny616 :lol: :lol: as there just aren't any words Chris to describe your reports and pictures :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And here's me in a self imposed exile from the hills today to (supposedly) get a powerpoint slide deck ready for work :( :( :( :( :( Your report pictures have been a tonic, that's for sure :thumbup:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:59 pm

PeteR wrote:I'm with jonny616 :lol: :lol: as there just aren't any words Chris to describe your reports and pictures :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And here's me in a self imposed exile from the hills today to (supposedly) get a powerpoint slide deck ready for work :( :( :( :( :( Your report pictures have been a tonic, that's for sure :thumbup:

Thanks Pete, I'm so lucky to be here, every time I hike I see so many more mountains to chase after....it is truly incredible, I heard so much about the Canadian Rockies before I got here (as I'm sure we all have) but everything I've seen has exceeded my expectations by miles, I would advise anyone who has the ability to visit the stunning landscapes of the Canadian Rockies at least once :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:04 pm

That looks a fantastic round :D I'm noting your distances and ascents slowly increasing, does the altitude affect you at all now?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:41 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:That looks a fantastic round :D I'm noting your distances and ascents slowly increasing, does the altitude affect you at all now?

Thaks JK, strangely enough the altitude still has some affect, the scrambling in particular when you are working many more muscles really saps the energy. I'm sure improved fitness and weight loss will help me as time goes on, my recovery time is now much shorter so I'm getting there but still have a long way to go :-D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm not jealous... OK, I am. Brilliant stuff, your last two reports left me speechless.
I wish we had weather like yours during our Skye holidays :( We spent most of the time walking along the coast as it was too wet and cloudy to tackle anything in the Cuillin.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby fipriestley » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Awesome Chris! :thumbup:
ChrisW wrote:...I would advise anyone who has the ability to visit the stunning landscapes of the Canadian Rockies at least once :wink: :D

Agreed! Feeling really homesick now :( Likely be another few years before I get back over there; will have to climb to the summit of one of these mountains next time :lol: :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland