walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ARENIG FAWR - SOUTHERN SNOWDONIA

ARENIG FAWR - SOUTHERN SNOWDONIA

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Arenig Fawr

Date walked: 31/10/2009

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, yesterday we travelled to another new area for most of us, the Arenigs in Southern Snowdonia, to the west of Bala. Our target was the highest peak in the range, Arenig Fawr, as we parked up after passing the reservoir of Llyn Celyn.
IMG_2457.jpg
Rocky area around car park
IMG_2463.jpg
Views ahead
IMG_2464.jpg
Views ahead
IMG_2468.jpg
Bothy des res
IMG_2469.jpg
Gaining height
IMG_2473.jpg
Reservoir
IMG_2475.jpg
The gang
..At the summit is a memorial to 8 U.S.airmen who perished in august 1943 when there Flying Fortress crashed, due to the bad weather we couldn't see the wreckage 300m below but what we could see was deliberate damage to the face of the plaque, surely not a co-walker!!!!!!
IMG_2477.jpg
Memorial
IMG_2478.jpg
Sue on the summit at 854m
IMG_2479.jpg
Summit photo
IMG_2485.jpg
Way back
It was a shame the weather spoiled the views but we made good time and I'm sure we will return to the Arenigs, take care, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: ARENIG FAWR - SOUTHERN SNOWDONIA

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi there Sue,
Arenig Fawr, an old friend of mine. Sadly typical weather for Bala which is just down the road from me. It is worth going again on a good day as the view is fab. Good to see you out and about, I have not been walking since August first I sprained my ankle in a rabbit hole in the garden (really got to do something about the rabbit population in my garden it looks like a scene from Watership down at the moment) and then I have had the flue. Hopefully back in action soon.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby 37lumleyst » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:46 pm

mountain tortoise wrote:I have not been walking since August first I sprained my ankle in a rabbit hole in the garden

I thought you would have posted something like 'Injured fighting tigers in the wilds of Africa' rather than being incapacitated by a rabbit hole! Its the simplest of things that keep us off the hill - I broke my left elbow knocking a football about with my 2 year old earlier this year - Doh!

susanmyatt wrote:..At the summit is a memorial to 8 U.S.airmen who perished in august 1943 when there Flying Fortress crashed, due to the bad weather

Another good report Sue - it looks like you have found another site with a plane wreckage link! I remember a string of posts relating to this topic a while back. Its always a pleasure reading your reports when I'm at work first thing on a Monday morning - takes my mind of the week ahead :lol:
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear of the injury MT, don't kill the bunnies or else Lisa, one of my co-walkers will be after you :lol: Glad you enjoy the reports and they give you a smile, we all enjoy our saturdays come rain or shine and The Commander keeps it interesting, like all of us he was upset that the memorial had been damaged. We hadn't heard of this wreckage until we planned the walk. Thanks to everyone for looking :D :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 am

That's terrible about the memorial being damaged - I think it's because whoever it was was probably anti-American - whereas I believe the crew were actually Canadian anyway! But whatever - noone should be damaging war memorials - I can't believe someone could do that! It's like that guy that was photographed peeing on one recently - no respect whatsoever some of them! :(
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland