walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - A quickie in the mountains with the Mrs....

Canada - A quickie in the mountains with the Mrs....

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Date walked: 06/07/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 8.3 km

Ascent: 338m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sarah and I got out into the mountains again today heading to Upper Kananaskis Lake to enjoy the sunshine, Sarah hadn't yet seen this beautiful location and I hadn't seen it without 20 feet of snow on it so a return seemed like a good idea. From the car park the view over the picnic tables and out across the lake was worth the journey on its own.

As with all the mountain lakes right now, the water level is reduced to allow for the thaw and the Spring rain, back in march it looked very different.

It was such a beautiful day we decided to hike up to Rawson Lake, with the water level reduced we took advantage of the lake shore and walked around here rather than using the forest trail.

Looking back toward the car park we took our time exploring the newly created 'beach'. I found it interesting to see the underwater obstacles dotted around and couldn't help but think the local fish population would know exactly where these were.

Sarah was (as usual) wrapped up for the ice age, in a very short time she was peeling off the layers, the peak behind and to the right is Mount Indefatigable, a good sharp summit that I'll be visiting at some point in the future.

just a little further and Sarah was down to the vest top and repeating her famous phrase "its warmer than I thought it would be" this makes me laugh every time as she always wraps up like Nanook of the North, 'just in case' and then regrets it.

after a nice wander along the shore of the lake we head into the forest to pick up the trail and to take advantage of the cooling shadows. It is almost 30 degrees today and promises 30+ for the next 7 days at least.

the beautiful waterfall that feeds the lake is really impressive, when I passed here in winter it was just another blanket of white, we stood here a while breathing in the moist, cool air around the bridge.

the crystal clear water flows down just a short way to the lake and we discuss the merits of a paddle on the way back....

the trail is much easier without snowshoes though the zig zig ascent section in the middle is steep and any opportunity for a quick sit down is welcome

When we get up to Rawson there is still some ice left on the lake but the melt is well on the way now, it is incredibly peaceful and quiet up here though we met a lot of people heading down as we walked up, there was just one family remaining when we arrived and they disappeared quite quickly. For a short time we had this wonderful place to ourselves.

In early March at the start of the melt I really thought the snow would be well gone by now. At this rate it must clear for a week or two then start freezing again.

'Someone' sneaked off to the lake side and scoffed down the small food supply we were going to enjoy together....all of it; even the hungry Whiskey Jacks fluttering around nearby didn't get a look in, not even crumbs, though Sarah did say she felt bad for not saving any food for ............. the damn birds!!

I did think of making her walk the plank/log in shame but thought better of it ......though it was a close decision

from the left side of the lake I can see the meadow above the forest and wondered about the view over Kananaskis Lake from there but Sarah was not keen on exploring further so that one will have to wait.

at the mention of a pasta salad waiting in the truck Sarah is keen to get back down so we set off again at a good pace, we passed a lot of people heading up (looking the way we looked on the way up) in the stifling heat of the forest.

back at the waterfall we cross the bridge and then drop down onto the lake shore again to explore the rocks on the way back to the car park

a couple of times we just stopped and sat on the rocks looking over the lake and talking, we talked about life, fortune and future and where we may go from here, we still know how lucky we are to have each other, the rest is just optional extras.

almost back at the car park we see a guy ahead catching trout on the fly really close to the edge of the clear water. As we walk along we see fish topping all over....note to self, bring a fishing rod next time!!

it seems there are some pretty good fish to be had in here, even from close to the bank. The lake is catch and release only so stocks should not drop over time. The wildlife and fisheries people out here actually stock 300 mountain lakes with trout every year.

from the other angle looking back at the angler (on the point to the left the lake) and at the surrounding mountains it is truly stunning, definitely a spot to bring family and friends when they visit.

As I'm removing my boots sitting by the lake Sarah sets into the pasta salad without even heading down to the picnic tables, by the time I've finished sorting out the rucksack and putting on trainers etc the food is demolished and me and the Whiskey Jacks are in the same boat again.

so, with a last look over the lake we call it a day and head home as Sarah says she is getting hungry!!!

on the way home we stopped to look at some Rocky Mountain Sheep by the side of the road, though some beat a hasty retreat the ewes and lambs remained nibbling at the roadside...anyone got a comb?

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - A quickie in the mountains with the Mrs....

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm

You cant beat a "quickie" Chris & even better with the Mrs(not that it would be with anyone else mind you)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:You cant beat a "quickie" Chris & even better with the Mrs(not that it would be with anyone else mind you)

Did you add that last bit in brackets before or after your Mrs beat you around the head :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Shocking title, there's kids on this site :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Shocking title, there's kids on this site :lol:

Aye,but they could make you blush JC. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:45 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Johnny Corbett wrote:Shocking title, there's kids on this site :lol:

Aye,but they could make you blush JC. :lol:

:clap: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Shocking title, there's kids on this site
I know, I'm one of them :lol: :lol:

Great title, great walk, great photos :thumbup:

I will have to get the dictionary out soon as I'm fast running out of superlatives to describe your walks and photos, Chris :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
Johnny Corbett wrote:Shocking title, there's kids on this site
I know, I'm one of them :lol: :lol:
Great title, great walk, great photos :thumbup:
I will have to get the dictionary out soon as I'm fast running out of superlatives to describe your walks and photos, Chris :lol:

Thanks Susie, even when I'm alone I still find myself repeatedly saying wow as I reach viewpoints, it is an incredible country.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Sickening Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All those stunning views............while we have .......... rain :(

Your photos are simply stunning though :D We may have to start inventing new words to try and describe just how stunning they are.

And are we jealous? Yep :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am

PeteR wrote:Sickening Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All those stunning views............while we have .......... rain :(
Your photos are simply stunning though :D We may have to start inventing new words to try and describe just how stunning they are.
And are we jealous? Yep :lol:

Thanks Pete, wait till you see the view from Tent Ridge.....you'll be even sicker :lol: :lol: too hot for hiking today (30 degrees) so went out in the kayak on a cool melt water lake and drifted around relaxing :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 pm

You certainly know how to cheer us all up over here!

Great stuff again

Like the title :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 pm

L-Hiking wrote:You certainly know how to cheer us all up over here! Great stuff again. Like the title :lol:

Cheers LH, I think you will be getting a good 8 week heatwave starting in mid august :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 am

I think in order to even things up we should organize an exchange program. Starting with the weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:08 am

jonny616 wrote:I think in order to even things up we should organize an exchange program. Starting with the weather :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sun will be over there in a few weeks mate......probably :lol: in the mean time here's me doing a bit of something else today as it was far too hot for hiking 8) :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Certainly looks like a knee trembler :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland