walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pumlumon Fawr

Pumlumon Fawr

Postby willywalker247 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Plynlimon (Pumlumon Fawr)

Date walked: 20/07/2012

Time taken: 2.4

Distance: 6.88 km

Ascent: 333m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had a plan to climb all five hewitts around Plynlumon Fawr over three days Wednesday,Thursday and Friday. Day one Pen y Garn. Day two all three Pumlumon hewitts. Day three Y Garn (Plynlumon). Day one weather stopped play. Day two weather very changeable, putting it mildly, so we did Pen y Garn (see other report) Day three because we had to travel home for a friends engagement party it meant we had to leave early on Friday, noon at the latest. We parked the car in a car park at Eisteddfa Gurig on the A44 grid ref SN798840 This is in fact a large driveway and they charge £3 a day and you pay at the bungalow. Walk up the slope passed a large building into a yard, watch out for the dogs in the pens as you pass. Follow the track a little way and you will see a gate with a sign on it saying all walks.
030.JPG
Looking back down the track back towards the start point.
032.JPG
As you follow the track Pen Pumlumon Arwystli comes in to view, continue you on for just over a mile or until you reach the old mine workings. At this point the track forks, you take the faint track to the left (sign posted). Some folk say this is the tourist route up Pumlumon. After a short distance the track disappears altogether, you now follow a very faint path that disappears an reappears several times as you continue to climb, but that said as long as you keep heading up you should not have any problems reaching the summit. Given the state of the path this route does not seem to be used that often.
033.JPG
035.JPG
As you near the summit you have to climb a ladder sty to get over the fence and as you climb this, the view that greets you is fantastic.
041.JPG
Lindsay
040.JPG
037.JPG
We stayed on the summit for 40 mins, taking in the views,
038.JPG
Cadair Idris to the north, Cardigan bay to the west. You could see almost all of Cardigan bay from the Lleyn peninsular in the north, New Quay and beyond to the south.
043.JPG
Slightly out of focus pic of Y Garn
Just to the south you had a clear view of Y Garn (Pumlumon) I would have liked to have done Pen Pumlumon Arwystli and Pen Pumlumon Llygad-Bychan, but time was getting on so we just back tracked back to the start. I have some more time off in early August, so I will be back to finish what i started.
Last edited by willywalker247 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Pumlumon Fawr

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 pm

I've just read your other report so I'm glad you had better weather for this walk :D
Some fantastic views which help to make all the walking worth it, however long the walk may be :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Susie it`s always great to be out and about. Pumlumon is well worth another visit.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Great to see you found some sunshine WW on a lovely walk. If that is the tourist route they can't get many tourists on it :lol: beautiful views all round, lets hope it stays like this in August :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:12 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great to see you found some sunshine WW on a lovely walk. If that is the tourist route they can't get many tourists on it :lol: beautiful views all round, lets hope it stays like this in August :wink:

Hi CW Yes it was great to have some sunshine as the weather here has been pretty bad the last couple of weeks. Shame I had to cut my walk short. :(
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 pm

This looks like a nice walk with some stunning views - good to see you had a bit of better weather this time!

:D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby willywalker247 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 am

garyhortop wrote:This looks like a nice walk with some stunning views - good to see you had a bit of better weather this time!

:D

The area is well worth another visit. :D
willywalker247
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland