walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Malvern Hills - Ledbury to Great Malvern

The Malvern Hills - Ledbury to Great Malvern

Postby malky_c » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 4.8

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 780m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000 Marilyns: Worcestershire Beacon
Date: 28/07/2012
Distance: 20 km
Ascent: 780m
Time taken: 4 hours 50 minutes
Weather: Sunny and warm. Slight haze and breezy on ridge.

I was tempted by a visit to the Peak District this weekend, or maybe some wild camping in the Lake District. In the end, I settled for something shorter and closer to home - the Malvern Hills. Much is made of how this ridge tends to be a there-and-back walk due to the small amount of space it takes up, but I planned to start from the station at Ledbury and do a full traverse in one direction only.

Malvern Hills.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lazy start from Birmingham meant that I wasn't walking until 12. Ledbury is typical of this part of the country - sizeable and bustling, but I'd never heard of it prior to planning this trip. My knowledge of this part of the country is sketchy to say the least! I walked down the high street then took the Malvern road, picking up a public footpath shortly after. This passed through Coneygree Wood, which was thick and restricted the views. Passing through some fields after the high point of the path, I caught occasional glimpses of the Malvern Hills. These opened out as I descended to Eastnor.

Malvern Hills from above Eastnor:

I had been told by many people how busy the Malvern Hills were, but this area just off the main ridge was practically deserted. The only people I passed were a couple of teenagers who were clearly about to get jiggy as I passed them. You'd think they might try somewhere a bit off the path!

Next was a section through Eastnor Deer Park, which had a stage set up in it by the campsite. I was wondering who was due to be playing here later. Was it worth sticking around for a look? Turned out it was Status Quo - time to move on swiftly!

Stage set up at Eastnor Park for some past-it crusties:

Climbing up towards the large obelisk in the centre of Eastnor Park, the paths were again deserted. I veered off into News Wood, where the vehicle track was submerged underwater, and I had to teeter around the edge on slithery clay soil. This was after a week of no rain - this bit must be horrible normally. Somehow I missed the path onto the ridge and ended up walking through the woods for longer than intended. Eventually I went off piste (more awkward than it sounds as the woodland is pretty dense), and climbed steeply, suddenly popping out on Hangman's Hill. The difference was startling - I was on short turf and there were literally dozens of people around.

Monument in Eastnor Park:

On the ridge at last - Hangman's Hill and Clutter's Cave:

I could see all the way into Wales with Ysgyryd Fawr, Sugar Loaf, the Black Mountains and Great Rhos all easily identifiable. Unfortunately I forgot my proper camera, so you will be lucky to make out that amount of detail from my cameraphone photos.

West across Herefordshire to the Black Mountains:

There were even steps and sections of tarmac path on the steeper bits, but the walking was easy and the views were good, so it didn't bother me. Herefordshire Beacon is the highest summit on this section of ridge. I stopped for a late lunch on its northern flanks before descending to a pass on the A449, which was cluttered with a hotel, carpark and cafe. A short section of the B4232 took me back onto the ridge, which was lower initially, but soon climbed up to Pinnacle Hill, another high point.

Millennium Hill sets the tone for the rest of the walk:

British Camp Reservoir:

Looking south from Pinnacle Hill:

...and looking forward to Worcestershire Beacon:

again from Perserverance Hill:

More down over assorted bumps in the ridge took me to the next road pass. There was a tarmac road (closed to traffic) all the way up Worcestershire Beacon, but this was easy to avoid, sticking to narrower paths. The top was pretty busy but the views were good, and it was an impressively steep sided summit for such a benign part of the country. In fact it reminded me a lot of Arthur's Seat.

South from the final ascent to Worcestershire Beacon. Nice to think I've walked along all this:

The last ascent:

The Marilyn was now in the bag but I wasn't going to descend without doing the northern end of the ridge - aptly named North Hill. This was a little quieter, particuarly on the steep north-eastern descent. Once in the woods, I picked up a zigzag path which took me down to a carpark in Great Malvern. From here it was a straightforward walk to Malvern Link station, where there was enough time to get changed, but not to search for a pint.

Last but not least - Table Hill and North Hill:

Fancy school (or hotel? I can't tell) in West Malvern:

Back to Worcestershire Beacon:

Great Malvern:

Contouring North Hill:

Malvern Hills from Malvern Link:

The Malvern Hills don't really justify a long journey to get to them, but they are well worth a look if you are in the area. I'm glad I did the full traverse rather than just the highest point, and I was surprised how much ascent there was in the walk. It isn't that noticeable as it comes in small sections throughout the day.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: The Malvern Hills - Ledbury to Great Malvern

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:04 pm

I did a similar walk to this with friends in the week I got my 'O' level results - long time ago then - it was a great day out and the last hill was hosting some kind of radio controlled plane event - there were dozens of them flying about
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby clivegrif » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks very much for this Malky, it provides an ideal opportunity to promote a sponsored walk that will take place on Saturday 1st September 2012 on behalf of Help For Heroes. The route is almost as is described here, but it starts at Bromsberrow rather than Ledbury, and finishes at the Great Malvern Hotel.
If you are interested - and hopefully some of you will be, you can register via lucyprice3243@hotmail.co.uk (mobile 07957 122856). The organiser of this and the last 3 annual H4H Malvern walks is Dave Lewis who is currently in Afghanistan with the RAF.
Malky's photos and description provide an excellent guide, its a great walk and for a brilliant cause.
Clive
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:59 pm

lovely work with that camera phone again Malky, I've seen something of these hills with a friend from Worcester...we didn't see anyone getting jiggy though :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Cheers all. Doubt I'll make the sponsored walk Clive, but hopefully this is a good advertiser for anyone who wants to :)

mrssanta wrote: the last hill was hosting some kind of radio controlled plane event - there were dozens of them flying about

There was a guy walking off that summit with a radio-controlled plane when I was on my way up - must still be a popular place for it :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland