walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norway: Vasstinden

Norway: Vasstinden

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Date walked: 13/07/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last day of our holiday in Tromsø. Vasastinden is an attractive hill on the island of Kvaløya, and rises steeply overlooking the waters of Kattfjorden. From Lauklines there is a signposted (hooray!) and easy to follow (hooray again!) path, though is pretty steep up to about half height. Here the path traverses right to meet the south-east ridge and follows this more easily to the summit.

The large summit cairn was still easily overtopped by a massive cornice over the north-east face, and the slightly lower top to the north-west actually has the slightly better view. But what a view it is! Sea, snow-capped mountains, the little beaches at Sommarøya, lots of islands....

We took an alternative descent from the col between the two summit, though at first this is just a line of cairns marking an awkward traverse line across very stony terrain. Eventually it becomes grassier, develops traces of a path and passes a tiny lake somehow clinging to the steep hillside. A little further on the upward path is met again, and we stopped to chat to a local lady on her way up. A steep but straightforward descent took us back to Lauklines.

Route map
Vasstinden_map.jpg

Online map

Climbing steeply above Lauklines

Mittagstinden and Skitntinden

Approaching the summit

Looking north from the summit

The summit from the NW top

Sommerøya and Senja

Storstolpan and Store Hollendaren

Mjelkskartinden (far left) and Bentsjordtinden
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:96
Grahams:79   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:43   

Re: Norway: Vasstinden

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Another fine instalment from your Norway trip. What a belter to finish on. I'm a sucker for mountains with sea views and this doesn't disappoint 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 pm

shame these are coming to an end jmarkb, I've really enjoyed seeing Northern Norway, beautiful :clap: I love the 'North from the summit' pano, absolute cracker :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Wow such beautiful scenery...amazing!! Just reading my way through your other reports ....all really great and it makes me with Norway would not be so expensive!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:25
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9

Postby jmarkb » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Just reading my way through your other reports ....all really great

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying them......
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:96
Grahams:79   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:43   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland