walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crinkle Crags

Crinkle Crags

Postby sipatterson3899 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Crinkle Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 12/11/2009

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A trip up Crinkle Crags with Dave F...
The weather report for today was good for the morning and in the afternoon, wind and rain was due to roll in and would stay for the remainder of the day! :?
We started at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Pub and headed out towards The Band.
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 434.JPG
Looking up the path to The Band from The Old Dungeon Ghyll Pub

From here we headed along the path to Stool end Farm and then hugged the foot of the Band around Oxendale beck before we reached Whorneyside Force...
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 435.JPG
Our first glimpse of Whorneyside Force

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 436.JPG
And again

We decided to stay with the beck until we reached the falls and took a few pics
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 437.JPG
Whorneyside Force in it's full glory!

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 438.JPG
With Dave adding some scale

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 439.JPG
And me...

Then scrambled up the steep hillside to rejoin the path which took us up the side of Hell Gill
From here we headed up Buscoe Sike for 3 Tarns
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 440.JPG
The top of Hell Gill from Buscoe Sike

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 442.JPG
Pike O' Blisco brieflly illuminated during a break in the clouds!

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 444.JPG
The Langdale Pikes pop out of the cloud for a minute!

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 443.JPG
Dave making a final push for 3 Tarns where we stopped briefly for a bite to eat. Sadly there was no view across to the scafell massif or up to Bowfell from the tarns. :(

We stopped at 3 Tarns for Lunch and the headed off up the Crinkles
From iPhone Nov 12 2009 445.JPG
Our route from 3 tarns up to Shelter Crags and south towards Long Top

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 447.JPG
Dave at the top! (in cloud)

From iPhone Nov 12 2009 448.JPG
And me at the top (in cloud)

Unfortunately by this time the weather had set in and photos were both pointless and I didn't want to get the camera wet! We went down the Bad Step which was interesting going down and we ended up jumping down!! :lol:
We headed down to Oxendale beck from Red Tarn and via Browney Gill. Almost at the bottom and Dave did the inevitable - 5 points of contact!! :lol:
A fantastic Day topped off with a half of the finest local ale!
Shame it was so wet.
sipatterson3899
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:13   

Re: Crinkle Crags

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:01 am

We had even worse weather for the Hell Gill/Whorneyside Force route - the only pics I got were below. I may write up a Crinkles report myself soon... Took me ages to work up to doing the Bad Step and, surprisingly for me, I went down it before I went up it. I found it so much fun I went back up and down it again right away. But for ages before that I'd gone round the other route. I managed to find enough hand and foot holds but then I'm 6 foot tall and have long legs so that helped. You were quite brave doing the Crinks in the mist as they can be quite hard to navigate... I'll just put my Whorneyside Force photo on to show how much less water we had and my Hell Gill photo so you can see how low our mist was - we never saw another thing all the way up to Bowfell... love your photo from just above Hell Gill looking back!
Whorneyside Force.jpg
Hell Gill.jpg
mountain coward

Postby sipatterson3899 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks! I love the pic too but it just doesn't do the real thing justice! Brave - maybe, some would say foolhardy! I would tend to agree as we did encounter some navigation issues! Not sure how cos we checked our compass bearing against the map every 4-5 mins, but at one point ended up on a northerly heading! Confused we checked again and thought maybe the compass had broken but realised quickly that the path had turned us through 180 degrees! Still a great day out!
sipatterson3899
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:13   

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 pm

You are very brave to go up there in those conditions, we did it last year on a windless warm day and it was hard work then, will put it online in the near future, thanks for the report, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby colgregg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Unlucky weather for you. I did Crinkle Crags in glorious sunshine and a great walk it is too (via Pike o Blisco).
I suffered similar confusion to you when heading for Gable earlier on in the year. I hit fog approaching Brandreth, once there my body's "compass" made be think i was heading North away from Gable, Had I not had an actual compass with me I'd have turned around heading "south" and would have found my self back at Honister feeling pretty stupid. A prime example of how confusing fog can be and the importance of a good compass.
crinkle crags 024.jpg
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland