walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wastwater Wander

Wastwater Wander

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Date walked: 02/08/2012

Distance: 1 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These past few weeks haven't been the greatest and, coupled with health issues and a lot of arthritic pain, I've felt quite disillusioned and not been out with my camera :( However, our week in Wasdale was fast approaching and so I hoped this would inspire and motivate me to get creative :D
Jeff and Julia (our elder daughter) decided to walk up Scafell Pike on Thursday 2 August with an early start. My target was to take photos of Wastwater at various times through the day :D
Up at 5am, a queue for the bathroom, breakfast, and then we all set off at 6.20am from the cottage in Nether Wasdale. Jeff and Julia parked at Wasdale Head before setting off for Brown Tongue whilst I happily waved good bye and wished them luck! I last walked up Scafell Pike in 1976 :lol:
It was a misty start but some good reflections in the lake(where were you Craig and Damson to witness this?) so I soon stopped to take my first photos of the day :D
Wastwater Reflections9.jpg

Fortunately, there wasn't much traffic about so I wasn't causing any obstruction (with the car, if you were wondering :lol:) and was able to walk down the road taking more photos. However, the tricky bit is, balancing my sticks under my arms and trying to get the camera straight :? Suddenly, I looked back towards the Scafells and, a brief glimpse of brightness appeared!
Wastwater Reflections6.jpg

It was still looking misty in the other direction so I decided to drive further along the lake.
Wastwater reflection1.jpg

As I went over Netherbeck Bridge I saw that the beck was in spate and stopped to have a look.
Netherbeck4.jpg

It then started to rain quite heavily so I "hurried" back to the car and decided to go to the cottage for a coffee. I did, however, spare a thought for Jeff and Julia walking up Brown Tongue and wondered how wet they were :lol: Julia sent me a text to say they'd reached the top at 10.59 but couldn't see anything much because of the clag, however, it had stopped raining :D
The weather improved significantly so I headed out again back to Wastwater for the "walking" part of my wander :D I was lucky and found one of my favourite parking places free :lol:
From here I squelched my way through the exceptionally wet and boggy path down to the water. It was a bit hazardous at times as my sticks kept sinking and getting stuck in the bog and, as they are the collapsible type, I suddenly found myself with only 6ins of stick one side and about to take a tumble whilst trying not to hurt my knees :lol: If I had fallen I'm not quite sure how I would have got up when I can't kneel :? :lol: Anyway, there was a convenient rock to sit on to recover so, I took some photos and sat in the sun looking at the view :D
Scafells.jpg

To my right I spied some rocks in the water and went to investigate as the water looked very clear here.
Wastwater5.jpg

rocks1.jpg

I then walked further along by the lake with no thought to the distance I would have to cover to get back to the car; it was just too good a day now :lol: There was another place to perch on and I spent some time just looking at the sun sparkling on the water and thinking; mainly about friends and family, how many times we walked up Yewbarrow and the shock of looking through "Great Door", walks up Great Gable and Pillar, etc etc :D
Wastwater2.jpg

Soon, I needed to get back to the car and await the arrival of the walkers; it's really annoying trying to walk with my two sticks when the camera case somehow keeps flopping forward and knocking one of them instead of staying behind me :shock: :lol: Jeff and Julia duly arrived; hot, tired and worn out but elated they had reached the summit after two previous aborted attempts last year :thumbup:
This "wander" was supposed to finish in the evening when we went to a different part of the lake for me to take photos as there was a really beautiful light. Jeff: "where's the camera?" Me: "don't be silly, you put it in the car" Jeff: " sorry, I forgot to pick it up" Me: "oh dear" What I really wanted to say, well, I'm afraid I can't print :roll: :shock: :lol:
Anyway, here is one I took a few days earlier instead :wink:
Wastwater1.jpg
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: Wastwater Wander

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Lovely pics as ever Susie :thumbup: Glad that rock was there for you to sit on, sounded a bit worrying.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Ahh, nice report Susie, I havent been on the site for a while so now catching up. The picture of the screes is very nice as are all your photos.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby garyhortop » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Great report Susie and some stunning pictures - as usual! Looks to me like you had the better end of the deal, having a chance for a coffee instead of walking through the clag!! Well done! :clap: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:23 pm

More power to you camera Susan,real feel good report you have there.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:43 am

Great stuff Susie, I confess I chuckled at this " I suddenly found myself with only 6ins of stick one side and about to take a tumble whilst trying not to hurt my knees" I've done that myself, though thankfully I don't suffer from arthritis so getting back up is not such an issue, I'm glad you managed to stay upright :wink: it would be interesting to hear just what you did want to say about the forgotten camera though :lol: :lol: Lovely photos as always and the final one is a beauty :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 am

It's always nice to log onto the site and see a report from you Susie and these pictures are lovely as always :D

Sorry to hear about the health issues and I hope your holiday makes you feel better about things

Sounds like you had a few difficult moments but you dealt with them - well done

The last photo is a stunner :clap:
morag1

Postby jonny616 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

Great read & photos. So now i'm not the only one to get stuck in a bog :lol: Glad you could get out ok :clap: Well done to the troupes on making the pike :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:24 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Lovely pics as ever Susie Glad that rock was there for you to sit on, sounded a bit worrying.
Thanks John. I need to read your latest TRs :D

L-Hiking wrote:Ahh, nice report Susie, I havent been on the site for a while so now catching up. The picture of the screes is very nice as are all your photos.
Thanks Geoff. I'll catch up with you soon :D

garyhortop wrote:Great report Susie and some stunning pictures - as usual! Looks to me like you had the better end of the deal, having a chance for a coffee instead of walking through the clag!! Well done! Great report Susie and some stunning pictures - as usual! Looks to me like you had the better end of the deal, having a chance for a coffee instead of walking through the clag!! Well done! :clap: :D
Thank you Gary. Yes, I thought the coffee was a great idea :lol:

gammy leg walker wrote:More power to you camera Susan,real feel good report you have there.

Thanks, Willie, glad you liked it :D

ChrisW wrote:it would be interesting to hear just what you did want to say about the forgotten camera though Lovely photos as always and the final one is a beauty
Thank you, Chris. I think I was actually quite restrained but still can't repeat it. There'd be too many ********!!!!!*******!!! :shock: :lol:

morag1 wrote:It's always nice to log onto the site and see a report from you Susie and these pictures are lovely as always
Thank you, Morag. And it's always nice to hear from you :D I'm feeling a lot better than I was but it will take some time.

jonny616 wrote:Great read & photos. So now i'm not the only one to get stuck in a bog Glad you could get out ok Well done to the troupes on making the pike

Thanks Jonny. We could start the sneaky peak stuck in a bog club :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby JonAksel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Masterclass photos. Nice story too.
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 pm

JonAksel wrote:Masterclass photos. Nice story too.

Thank you Jon, I appreciate your comments :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Phooooey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Great report and photos as usual !
Nice of you to mention Damson and me too ! I really don't know how you manage to get the water to stay so still for you, however my best attempt so far is on my Angletarn Pikes blog as there seemed to be no breeze at all last Friday at Angle Tarn itself (although I could have done with cooling down a bit 8) :lol: .
Base Brown is one of my remaining 56 to do so a weekend stay near Seathwaite / Stonethwaite is in order very shortly.
Did your clan make it up Scafell ?? I love the Wastwater Head area, but you never quite know what you are going to get weather wise until you enter the valley.
Glad to hear you are back out and taking such stunning photos again.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby LEgan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 am

Love the last pic
Larry
LEgan

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:67   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Phooooey wrote:Great report and photos as usual !
Thanks, Craig :D

Phooooey wrote:Base Brown is one of my remaining 56 to do so a weekend stay near Seathwaite / Stonethwaite is in order very shortly.
Good luck with that.
The last ever walk I did was from Stonethwaite :)
Jeff and Julia got up Lingmell and Scafell Pike but didn't do any others :D

LEgan wrote:Love the last pic
Thank you, Larry :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby jstalker66621 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Susie you manage to bring the feel good factor to walking...where my reports are so full of expletives and falling flat on my face/arse at any given time...you manage to stay semi vertical and composed. The photo's, as ever, are stunning and I truly admire your eye for a pic...I have to rely on the scenery being stunning as I just point and click. I will have to get myself back on your site and check out any new pics that I have missed recently. Glad to hear that you are getting back to health again xx
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland