walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown away on Yewbarrow

Blown away on Yewbarrow

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 22/07/2012

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We arrived in Eskdale on a fine evening having enjoyed great views of the fells on our journey up from Snowdonia. The views where not going to last however as the forecast for the next few days was nothing short of apocalyptic. Sunday at least was not too bad on the morning so I picked a shortish route to climb Yewbarrow.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked up at Overbeck Bridge and set off up the intimidating South ridge. It’s a steep climb up by the fence but very straight forward. Soon Bell rib towers above you and the route veers off to the left. You have several options including a very tedious looking scree gully but we stuck to rock and completed several simple scrambles before dramatic cleft of the Great Door is reached. We were being followed up by a couple who looked a bit tentative. I overheard the lady complaining to her husband that “this isn’t a walk!” and I would agree, it most certainly isn’t.

IMG_0247.jpg
Looking up the South ridge

IMG_0252.jpg
Start of the scramble

IMG_0253.jpg
Steep section

IMG_0254.jpg
The Great Door

IMG_0255.jpg
..and again

IMG_0256.jpg
Looking back down the ridge...it's not as scary as it looks mam!

Slowly but surely the gradient eases and the rock gives way to grass leaving a simple easy walk to the highest point marked by a cairn. One of the notable things about Yewbarrow is the view with all 3000 footers and many other Lakeland giants. Today we can’t see a thing however, oh well.

IMG_0257.jpg
Grace and Hughie on the summit

We dropped down to the col getting brief glimpses of a view as the cloud flirted with the ridge. As we made our way back up into cloud towards the North Top the wind, already blowing fairly strongly, started to intensify. By the time we made our second Hewitt of the day the blast from the West was quite exhilarating and breathtaking in equal measure and made our mind up as to how we would descend.

IMG_0262.jpg
A windswept westie

IMG_0264.jpg
The easy route down

The rocky scramble down Stirrup Crag was out so we returned to the col where a small cairn marks the start of the path that bypasses the difficulties. Once down we continued on to admire the view down Moasdale and the vertiginous Dore head screes.

IMG_0268.jpg
Dore head screes

IMG_0269.jpg
View from Dore head

By the time we completed the simple walk back to the car the cloud had lifted from the top but given how the wind had strengthened I had few regrets.

IMG_0276.jpg
Yewbarrow top now cleared

Yewbarrow is a fantastic mountain and gives a great short day out if taken alone. I suspect we may well be back one day to get that view to the 3000 footers and the scramble down Stirrup Crag.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Blown away on Yewbarrow

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 pm

What a great single mountain that is JK, even with restrictive clouds you still look to have got some great views, I laughed at the woman telling her husband "this isn't a walk"......I'll bet he paid for that when he got home :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Enjoyed your report, John, and the photos, even if you didn't have the views :D
Yewbarrow was one of my favourite "walks" and can't remember how many times I've been up there.
I always felt compelled to look through "Great Door" even though I felt ill with the drop :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:48 pm

RTC wrote:Great report and photos. - Especially of Grace and Hughie at the summit. Its a long time since I did Yewbarrow. I remembered it as a smashing hill but not as spectacular as your photos show it to be. I hope I manage to do again some day. It just shows that there is a lot more to hillwalking than just Munro bagging.

Thanks for the kind words.

ChrisW wrote:What a great single mountain that is JK, even with restrictive clouds you still look to have got some great views, I laughed at the woman telling her husband "this isn't a walk"......I'll bet he paid for that when he got home :lol:

I think you may be right :wink:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Enjoyed your report, John, and the photos, even if you didn't have the views :D
Yewbarrow was one of my favourite "walks" and can't remember how many times I've been up there.
I always felt compelled to look through "Great Door" even though I felt ill with the drop :lol: :lol:

Thanks Susie, I also find it hard not to stare down huge drops and attempt to get a pic. No idea why I do it to be honest :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I descended Yewbarrow the way you went up. I marked it as the stiffest descent of any lakes fell I'd been on, made all the more difficult as I tagged it onto the end of the Mosedale round.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 am

colgregg wrote:I descended Yewbarrow the way you went up. I marked it as the stiffest descent of any lakes fell I'd been on, made all the more difficult as I tagged it onto the end of the Mosedale round.

Colin, that sounds like purgatory to me! :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 am

colgregg wrote:I descended Yewbarrow the way you went up. I marked it as the stiffest descent of any lakes fell I'd been on, made all the more difficult as I tagged it onto the end of the Mosedale round.

Not sure I have fancied that. Would have descended Stirrup Crag had it not been close to blowing us off our feet however.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby garyhortop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Nice report JK amd some cracking photo's even if the weather wasn't quite as clear as you'd hoped - nice pic of windswept westie as well as the gale force Grace! :wink: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 am

garyhortop wrote:Nice report JK amd some cracking photo's even if the weather wasn't quite as clear as you'd hoped - nice pic of windswept westie as well as the gale force Grace! :wink: :D

Cheers Gary.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland