walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig-gleisiad the wrong way round

Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig-gleisiad the wrong way round

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Craig Cerrig-gleisiad, Fan Frynych

Date walked: 10/08/2012

Time taken: 2.4

Distance: 5.91 km

Ascent: 329m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig Gleisiad 001.JPG
Craig Cerrig-gleisiad from the layby.
I got the idea for this short walk after reading John923`s report Parking in the layby about 1/2 a mile north of the Storey Arms grid ref SN964224. As i sorted myself out i looked up at Craig Cerrig-gleisiad I thought to myself the cliff face is always in shadow.
Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig-gleisiad.JPG
Start point.
At the start point you will find a notice board giving you infomation about the nature reserve this walk takes you through. I followed the well laid track until I came to a gate and followed the path to the right. The path follows the boundry wall of the nature reserve.
Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig Gleisiad 005.JPG
I continued along the path until I came to another gate there I picked up a broad track, following the track to the left and up to the summit of Fan Frynych.
Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig Gleisiad 008.JPG
Pen y Fan & Corn Du on the horizon
Craig Gerrig Gleisiad & Fan Frynych walk 2012 011.JPG
As I neared the summit I could see the trig point to my right. I sat there having a coffee and a snack, counting how many hewitts i could see (I counted nine). I was joined a short while later by another walker, he introduced himself as Duncan. He was in between jobs and was working as a volunteer warden in the nearby youth hostel. We swaped stories for about an hour. After wishing each other well we went our separate ways.
Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig Gleisiad 017.JPG
I now head off to Craig Cerrig-gleisiad. There is a small cairn marking the high point just to the right.
Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig Gleisiad 019.JPG
Looking down to the start point.
I had planned to make my way across and up Fan Fawr, but changed my mind, I knew there was a path that went all along Craig Cerrig-gleisiad and back down to the start point. I decided to follow that. i knew it was going to be steep, but boy was it steep in a few places,its the kind of path you go up and not down. Had it been wet it would have been to dangerous to go down it. The path was dry so i just took my time and made good use of my walking poles and at times my hands and my butt. Its the steepest decent i have made so far. I`m not going to make a habit of it!
Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig Gleisiad 020.JPG
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Fan Frynych & Craig Cerrig-gleisiad the wrong way round

Postby garyhortop » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Nice report Chris......I bet if anyone was on the summit they would have thought a steam train was coming hearing you puff up that climb!! Well Done! :clap: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland