walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Table Mountain, South Africa

Table Mountain, South Africa

Postby Wacky-B- » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Date walked: 21/03/2007

Time taken: 3

Distance: 5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At 1086 metres AMSL it would qualify as a Munro here, but March in Cape Town is a bit different to March in the Highlands! No crampons required, but copious quantities of water are essential, as is an early start to avoid walking in the afternoon heat.

I walked this with my brother and two cousins, one of whom lives over there, whilst there on a large family holiday.

We started from the car park at the lower cableway station (900 metres AMSL) and walking around the crags

and up the Platteklip Gorge.

The initial walk is on the north east of the mountain and exposed to the sun (be early!). The gorge itself is too, it's a steep walk and can be very dusty.

At the top, as the name suggests, it's pretty much a large, flat plateau.

Fortunately due to the demands of tourism it has a bar and restaurant to reward yourself after the walk. I'd recommend a nice pint of Castle and taking the cableway back down!

I think the steep descent would be a bit heavy on the knees, and you'd catch the hottest part of the day too.

We had a great day for it with a nice, slightly cooling breeze on top. The mountain gets shrouded in cloud easily due to it's position between two competing weather systems and the cloud can gather in the gorge.
Wacky-B-
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: Table Mountain, South Africa

Postby robertian » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 am

Brings back happy memories of a holiday in sth africa a few years ago. Didnt know that there was a path to the top - needless to say i took the cable car !!
Drove up through the Drakensburg mountains - absolutely beautiful landscape and then spent 3 days on a game reserve in the Karroo - a great holiday
Cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Mrs T » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Last year spent the Christmas in Cape Town and was really looking forward to this walk. Unfortunately, on the day hubby felt feverish and I had been awake most of the night with an upset tummy, so had to settle for the cable car. The two hours of queuing was a bit of an ordeal, but well worth it... Spectacular views (and a nice restaurant)! By the time we got up we both felt a bit better so spent ages wondering about the plateau. It turned out we had chosen the best day of the week for this as had almost clear skies with just a gentle breeze. For the rest of the week the mountain was either in clouds or it was so windy the cable car wasn't operating.
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

Postby billgerrie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Makes us all jealous of the weather. Especially as it doesn't look like a week for Munro bagging in Scotland.
billgerrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:14
Donalds:4

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:11 am

Looks a great walk - stunning pics... how exposed is it? The shots you show look just about okay but I wouldn't want more exposure than that!
mountain coward

Postby Mrs T » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 am

There are several routes to choose from, escpecially if you are willing to walk back down so can start and end somewhere other than the cable car car park. I'm sure you'd find one that's not too steep or exposed.
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

Postby mountain coward » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:23 am

If I was going up I'd want to walk back down again - and usually prefer a different route...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland