walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Montserrat & Multi Peaks!

Montserrat & Multi Peaks!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Date walked: 06/08/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 500m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

"Montserrat" literally means "jagged (serrated) mountain" in Catalan and is a multi-peaked mountain located near the city of Barcelona, in Catalonia, Spain. The main peaks are Sant Jeroni (1,236 m), Montgrós (1, 120 m) and Miranda de les Agulles (903 m).

It is well known as the site of the Benedictine abbey, Santa Maria de Montserrat, which hosts the Virgin of Montserrat sanctuary.

I spent 8 days in Barcelona, catching up with old friends and making new ones, with my intention to visit Montserrat on 1 of these days. I had been years ago, before catching the "hillwalking disease", and was interested to see how different my mindset was.

Joining me on this evening trip would be Ana (spanish - lives in Barcelona), her partner Jimi (scottish - lives in Barcelona) & Fiona (Glaswegian - lives on the moon).

We left Barcelona around 5pm and got to Montserrat around 6pm - the plan was to watch the sunset.

The main area has a Funicular taking you to higher ground but you can walk from here also (which we did), you can actually walk from the base of the mountain but we chose to drive up. The main area also has a shop, the monastery and a hotel...all very geared towards the tourist.

We followed a path left which would take us to a few peaks and viewing points. Due to the cloud level we would not see the sun setting, but we where rewarded in other ways...

Didn't take long till we reached first viewing platform

We had a bite to eat and continued upwards. There is many paths all leading to different peaks.

This was a nice mountain and the views pretty special with all the varying rock formations.

So no sunset but we sat around this cone shaped rock, steep faced, and had a bite to eat...again!

It was then some Mountain Goats got very curious - firstly this one!

It must have called on its friend...

These goats showed incredible agility, the rock dome was so steep i wondered how they didn't fall! They stared at us all for around 10mins, it was thrilling :D

After our little encounter we cut through some minor paths to pick up a stairs which led back down to the main area. We would finish in darkness, not unusual for me...but no headtorch :shock:

Back at the main area and we spent some time checking out the buildings.

This is a fab walk which i recommend. You can catch a train to the foot of it and a cable car takes you up.
A full or half day could be spent here depending on choice of route, starting point and transport.

Next time i visit i shall start from the bottom and spend the whole day doing every peak, but for now this was just fantastic.
Last edited by dooterbang on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Montserrat & Multi Peaks!

Postby monarchming » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Great wee report with fine pics especially of the goats! :lol: Well done! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:44 am

What a beautiful location DB, some spectacular rock formations there, looks like you had a lucky escape with those goats though.... harbingers of doom that they are :lol: Must have been hard work making your way back in the dark with no head lamp :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Pity about the sunset but, some great photos, Paul, and an enjoyable read as ever :thumbup:
Loved those goats!
dooterbang wrote:...but no headtorch
What's happened to you......totally unprepared??? :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby SMRussell » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Nice report as usual. The place looks very James Bond. Love the 16th photo down (well, shame about the foreground). Snaps of the goats are great also.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Ahh Barcelona - there's somewhere I'd happily go back to in an instant :D . Looked at visiting here when we were over, but I wanted higher, so plumped for a couple of nights in the Pyrenees instead. In retrospect, I think we should have gone here, as I just stuck a pin in the map and took us to one of the least impressive bits of the Pyrenees (although it was still really nice).

Some of those rock formations wouldn't look out of place in those mad photos you see of Huashan in China!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby garyhortop » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Great report DB and some stunning scenery there!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Pity about the sunset but, some great photos, Paul, and an enjoyable read as ever :thumbup:
Loved those goats!
dooterbang wrote:...but no headtorch
What's happened to you......totally unprepared??? :lol:
Ha, i know...am slacking :shock:

malky_c wrote:Ahh Barcelona - there's somewhere I'd happily go back to in an instant :D . Looked at visiting here when we were over, but I wanted higher, so plumped for a couple of nights in the Pyrenees instead. In retrospect, I think we should have gone here, as I just stuck a pin in the map and took us to one of the least impressive bits of the Pyrenees (although it was still really nice).

Some of those rock formations wouldn't look out of place in those mad photos you see of Huashan in China!
That place looks pretty awesome. Shame about your Pyrenees lucky dip. I think you would have great fun wandering the peaks of Montserrat.

Thanks everyone else for comments.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Nice place, i like it. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Lenore » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 am

Haha those goats are so funny!! The cones look a bit like something Dr. Seuss would come up with. Also, didn't know there's a mountain called this, thought you went to that volcanic island of the same name! (forget whereabouts that is exactly).
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Lenore wrote:Haha those goats are so funny!! The cones look a bit like something Dr. Seuss would come up with. Also, didn't know there's a mountain called this, thought you went to that volcanic island of the same name! (forget whereabouts that is exactly).
Very funny :) Montserrat is an island that is a British overseas territory located in the Leeward Islands, part of the chain of islands called the Lesser Antilles in the West Indies...this is the one your thinking about, i think!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Lovely ..ive never been to Barcelona and its somewhere id like to see
Did you take the car half way up the hill because youre getting on a wee bit noo Doots?

Even the goats are checking out the DB pose :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dooterbang » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

mountain thyme wrote:Lovely ..ive never been to Barcelona and its somewhere id like to see
Did you take the car half way up the hill because youre getting on a wee bit noo Doots?

Even the goats are checking out the DB pose :D

I attract allsorts eh MT....erm, i'm still younger than you :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland