walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Newlands Trio

Newlands Trio

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dale Head, Hindscarth, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, Hindscarth, Robinson

Date walked: 11/08/2012

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 900m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Little Town is a wonderful place to walk from, hidden away in the stunning Newlands Valley, the prospect on offer is so tempting in almost every direction of the compass. In fact the only problem with Little Town is actually getting parked. We turned up just after 10 O’Clock and managed to nab one of the two remaining places. Within minutes three more cars turned up, a close call but it seemed that lady luck as well as the sun was going to shine on us today. :D

Newlands3.gpx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk starts in easy fashion up the road to High Snab. The beautiful Newlands Church is passed before the farms are reached and the road becomes a track.
Before the ascent up the side of High Snab Bank is reached we came across a friendly horse strangely beyond the gate to the open fell side. We said hello and left the forlorn looking animal behind before starting up the steep lung busting climb through the bracken onto the ridge.

IMG_0456.jpg
Newlands Church

IMG_0457.jpg
Scope End and Robinson

IMG_0458.jpg
Looking back towards the Newlands Valley

IMG_0459.jpg
A friendly horse

On a morning like this it’s hard to imagine a more idyllic place in the world than right here right now. The ridge stretching temptingly ahead, Scope Beck glistening in the valley below, slightly hazy views towards the Newlands Valley and beyond it was all so perfect and pristine.

IMG_0461.jpg
Robinson

IMG_0464.jpg
Little Dale with Newlands beyond

IMG_0465.jpg
The three rock steps

IMG_0468.jpg
Looking back along High Snab Bank

After an undulating kilometre or so AW’s three rock steps are reached. They make for a simple, enjoyable but all too brief scramble. It’s a pity there aren’t ten rock steps but it’s still a nice walk up to the top. As with all good summits new views open up as you make the highest point. The view South was a bit hazy but all the main fells were still clearly visible. It was also nice to see one of my favourite views, down Buttermere and Crummock Water from a slightly different angle.

IMG_0470.jpg
Grace reaching the top of the rock steps

IMG_0472.jpg
South from Robinson

IMG_0473.jpg
Looking West from Robinson

IMG_0474.jpg
Rannerdale Knotts

We had lunch and set off down Littledale edge towards the mid point of the ridge. It’s a fair descent and re-ascent before the next target comes into view but worth it as Dale Head makes a fine sight with impressive bulk and precipitous crags. The best thing about Dale Head however is its view down the perfect glacial valley of Newlands. We lingered for a while drinking it all in before retracing our steps towards Hindscarth.

IMG_0482.jpg
Littledale Edge with High Stile beyond

IMG_0485.jpg
Dale Head

IMG_0490.jpg
Newlands Valley

IMG_0492.jpg
Across Honister Pass

IMG_0498.jpg
Hindscarth

IMG_0503.jpg
Newlands Valley from Dale Head

As with its sibling Robinson, Hindscarth’s best feature is its North East Ridge. The summit bagged and the initial descent towards High Crags completed the route travels through what must be, this time of year especially, the most beautiful mile in Lakeland.

IMG_0512.jpg
Oh why didn't I take my hat off

IMG_0513.jpg
Way ahead towards Scope End

The thin path undulates its way through the flowering heather, at times clinging by its fingertips to the edge of the ridge. The Views ahead of the Newlands Valley are also fantastic. Amazingly we saw nobody else on the ridge till we were almost back to the car so it was all ours. 8)

IMG_0517.jpg
Looking across to Robinson

All too soon Scope End is reached and you drop steeply over rocky terrain towards Low Snab farm and the track back to the car.

IMG_0519.jpg
Scope End

IMG_0522.jpg
Skiddaw and Blencathra beyond Newlands

This route is a truly magnificent day out that possibly beats the traditional Newlands Round thanks to the blissful descent from Hindscarth. Life dosn’t get much better than this. :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Newlands Trio

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:24 am

Now that is what a day in the lakes should be like (though maybe with a bit more parking :lol: ) I would find it difficult to disagree with your statements on the stunning beauty of this hike JK, it really does look like the perfect day. Great report and stunning pics :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Great Day out JK with some amazing photo's there as well!! Shame about the Hat!! :wink: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

ChrisW wrote:Now that is what a day in the lakes should be like (though maybe with a bit more parking :lol: ) I would find it difficult to disagree with your statements on the stunning beauty of this hike JK, it really does look like the perfect day. Great report and stunning pics :clap:

Many thanks Chris it was indeed perfect.

garyhortop wrote:Great Day out JK with some amazing photo's there as well!! Shame about the Hat!! :wink: :D

Just about every time we get a family pic I forget to take it off and end up looking like a village idiot. :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

What a wonderful day, John, lovely walk :D Great photos with great views :thumbup:
I'll ignore the hat, we know what you look like :lol:
I first walked up Robinson etc. in 1960 (!!!!!!!) on our very first trip to the Lakes. We went by bus and got off near Littletown :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:What a wonderful day, John, lovely walk :D Great photos with great views :thumbup:
I'll ignore the hat, we know what you look like :lol:
I first walked up Robinson etc. in 1960 (!!!!!!!) on our very first trip to the Lakes. We went by bus and got off near Littletown :lol:

Thanks Susie I bet the paths were a bit less eroded back then. As for getting the bus to Little Town, I assume it was a little'un because that bridge is seriously narrow.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland