walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Indefatigable Outlier- The first since the fall

Canada - Indefatigable Outlier- The first since the fall

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Date walked: 30/08/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 9.7 km

Ascent: 829m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Prior to falling off a mountain 3 weeks ago I had made plans to go back to the Kananaskis Lakes area to undertake this hike as my guide book states "if you only do one hike in the Kananaskis lakes area, this should be it"

There is a 'disappearing lake' that I wanted to see before it dried out too, so, having finally shaken off the damage from my fall I headed out to the North Interlakes parking area at the western most point of the Kananaskis Lakes Trail. I'd never been here until today but I suspect I'll be back here as it gives a spectacular view across the upper and lower lakes.

I arrived at 09:15 and as always explored the area and messed around getting ready before finally setting off at 09:30 From the car park the trail goes north across the isthmus to the intake dam where Mt Indefatigable stands at 2646m (8680 feet) directly ahead.

Once across the dam and a small spillway bridge the views back across the upper lake are stunning. The plaques on the rock to the left are names of the fallen from WWII who have mountains in the area named in their honour, a fitting tribute to those who gave so much for the sake of others.

As always with any hike in Kananaskis the first few km's are made through dense forest though there is a well worn pathway so route finding is not an issue.

the trail climbs aggressively through the forest and then slowly gives way to the stone ridge that has a coating of pebbles over slabs, something akin to marbles on a tile floor so careful footing is required.

from the first step on the ridge the view back across the tree tops is one to remember, the beautiful glacier in the distance clinging to the north face of the Elk Range framed on all sides by millions of acres of pine forest and the jade coloured water of two huge lakes glistening as the wind dances across the surface

climbing the ridge a little further gives views back through the mountains toward the icefields of My Joffre to the south-west, the ascent has already began to niggle the right hip which took the worst of my fall 3 weeks ago but it's more of a dull ache than pain and it is so great to be out here I carry on regardless.

the ascent along the ridge twists and turns and gives sufficient 'less steep' areas to allow for a breather between more significant climbs, there are two or three unavoidable hands on scrambles but they are minor and easily achieved, breaking out into more open ground I watched a pair of Ospreys circling the summit too far away for a photograph but beautiful to see. The speck in the top left of this picture is one of them.

I did get a shot a little later of one of them as it cruised past though it was still some distance away.

walking along the less steep sections of the ridge was an absolute pleasure, the stunning beauty of the surroundings leave me transfixed at times and frequently stating 'wow' out loud as I stand and stare.

cruising over the treetops beside the lower lake I see the other half of the Osprey pair, now a few hundred feet below me, it is fantastic to have such a vantage point even if is was only for a few minutes.

the higher I ascend the greater the view becomes, I can see why my guide book insisted upon this trail, there is a cool wind up here keeping the temperature down to a very reasonable level (around 10 degrees)

the ridge ascends in steps now followed by long steady climbs on a great trail above the western flank of lower Kananaskis lake. On the opposite side the Opal Range provides drama to the already striking setting

The ridge walk along this section defies description and even with a nagging ache from my hip ranks right up there with the very best of my Canadian hikes so far, perhaps second only to Nihahi Ridge which I hiked back in June this year.

I hiked along the very edge of the ridge for quite some time to ensure I hadn't suffered any long term effects from my fall. As there was no sign of dizziness or any kind of fear I assume all is well....except for that damn niggling hip, I made a quick stop to dig out the paracetamol before heading onward along the scramblers path toward the outlier

moving forward there is a short descent into trees for a little while which provides welcome shade from the sun and I take the wider eastern route to stand at a viewpoint looking along the lake to its northern tip, the outlier can just be seen to the left in this picture

after a spell in the trees and another short but steep ascent I see the green meadows mentioned in my guide book and the scramblers route up the northern end of Indefatigable

I confess to being a little disappointed when I reached the disappearing lake to find it had...well...disappeared, annoyingly by only a few days by the look of it; maybe I'll have to return next year.

There was still a large amount of snow at the north end of the lake and some in the crevices on the eastern flanks of Indefatigable, these were melting and feeding a waterfall cascading down to the lower lake but that feed was out of sight underground somewhere. Looking at the Northern end (right hand side of picture) of the mountain I have to surmise that it must be for hardcore scramblers as there are some huge steps along the ridge there.

I head on up to the top of the outlier for a summit shot (not a rock in sight for a tripod!!) and then take a moment to look around at the stunning landscape before me.

I didn't stop on the peak for long at all as it was damn cold up there and I wanted to get over to the little outcrop that poked further east toward the lake. Note to self, start taking thermal jacket again when going above 8000 feet

dropping down to the point was more awkward than it first appeared with some peaks and troughs to negotiate en route, but the views.......wow. To the north the tip of the lower lake and the Kananaskis range

to the east the expanse of the lower lake and the Opal Range beyond running the entire length of the lake

to the south is the icefield around mount Joffre on the Alberta/British Columbia border and to the west Indefatigable blocks the entire horizon.

zooming in gives a better sighting of the edge of the icefield poking above several summits on the right of the photo and the glacier directly in the centre of the photo still clinging to the mountain side. Two areas worth exploring at some point I think.

I sat on the point for about 30 minutes wearing my fleece and rain gear for warmth whilst enjoying a pasta salad, I was genuinely surprised at how cold it was up there, not cool like a nice autumn breeze but cold like a wicked winter chill. However, it was a beautiful day and a fantastic lunch location. After 'resting my eyes' for a moment or two I set off back up the outlier before curving left toward the homeward trail.

The meadow and the forest beyond was covered in wild flowers and really added to the wonderful experience of this hike, as I walked back toward the trees I could barely feel that hip....maybe that has more to do with the paracetamol top up after lunch though .

as always I saw plenty of chipmunks along the way, most of which I didn't photograph as I've seen thousands now, but this one was a bit special.....

location is everything, that chipmunk is sitting on the rock to the left of this picture, he must be enjoying the views just as I am.

I grab one last shot of the lake before descending the 'marbles on tile' section of the trail back into the forest

I should come clean now and say I walked past this sign on the way in but by the look of the trail so do many other people.

It was great to be back out in the mountains on such a beautiful day, my new boots were perfect with no rubbing at all, the new camera kit performed as expected and the only issue was an aching hip...which I confess got worse again toward the end, but still; it's great to be back in Kananaskis.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Indefatigable Outlier- The first since the fall

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:31 am

Sat at work on a Saturday morning and you've just brightened my day a whole lot :D Fantastic to see you back out and about, a real pleasure to read as always :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby garyhortop » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:34 am

I amw ith JK on this one...working too..although clearly not that hard!! :( Amazing walk and pictures again Chris...I obviously missed the report where you fell off a mountain!! :shock: ..and they are big mountains to fall off! Good to see you recovered and back out there! I think it was wainwright that said something along the lines of.....if you want o look around - stop and look around - that way you can always see where you are planting your feet! Take Care Man!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby jonny616 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm running out of ways of saying i'm running out of things to say about your beautiful reports. Glad your ok & back out with your camera & boots. :clap: :clap: :clap:

To help us with our comments can you head out in the clag & rain please :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Good to see you back out Chris,and what a way to mark your return. :clap: :clap: .

Hope your hip gets better,may be some deep bruising & not much else.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Alright, you're back on your feet! :clap: :clap: This means more distracting reports and pics!

Best be careful with the bears about, saw last week where some hiker in Alaska got too close trying to take pics of one and it cost him his life.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Great to see that you are back out and about Chris
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:29 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Sat at work on a Saturday morning and you've just brightened my day a whole lot :D Fantastic to see you back out and about, a real pleasure to read as always :thumbup:

Cheers JK, it's great to be back out in the hills, particularly as it is cooling down now to a more suitable 20 degrees every day :wink:
garyhortop wrote:I amw ith JK on this one...working too..although clearly not that hard!! :( Amazing walk and pictures again Chris...I obviously missed the report where you fell off a mountain!! :shock: ..and they are big mountains to fall off! Good to see you recovered and back out there! I think it was wainwright that said something along the lines of.....if you want o look around - stop and look around - that way you can always see where you are planting your feet! Take Care Man!! :D

Cheers Gary, it was more that the mountain collapsed under my feet back on August 8th I was lucky to say the least :shock:
jonny616 wrote:I'm running out of ways of saying i'm running out of things to say about your beautiful reports. Glad your ok & back out with your camera & boots. :clap: :clap: :clap:
To help us with our comments can you head out in the clag & rain please :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Jonny, I'm sorry but you have missed the rainy season....it just gets better now until April 2013 (except for snow of course) :roll: .... :lol: :lol:

gammy leg walker wrote:Good to see you back out Chris,and what a way to mark your return. :clap: :clap: .
Hope your hip gets better,may be some deep bruising & not much else.

Cheers Gammy, good to be out there again mate...I think you are right with the hip, it just needs a little longer. Maybe I'll try a hike with less ascent next week :wink:
Stretch wrote:Alright, you're back on your feet! :clap: :clap: This means more distracting reports and pics!
Best be careful with the bears about, saw last week where some hiker in Alaska got too close trying to take pics of one and it cost him his life.

Cheers Stretch, I saw that report of that photographer, they even found his camera with shots of the bear on it :shock: ...I think one bear distracted him posing for pics while another sneaked up behind him :lol:
mrssanta wrote:Great to see that you are back out and about Chris

Thanks MrsS, it's good to be out there, will be trying to cram some in now for a couple of weeks before family arrive later in September :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:12 am

RTC wrote:As always, wonderful pictures. It must be great having all these mountains on your doorstep. Apart from the rain, its stalking season just now in Scotland which limits walking in certain areas. Are there any restrictions like this in Canada?

Cheers RTC, I've not come across any restrictions for hunting, I have seen some posted for avalanche risk and a couple for bears too. There are a few trails around Banff that require you to be in groups of 4 or more at certain times (bears again) but there are so many mountains its pretty easy to just pick another hike from the same area. I think if I were here for 100 years and hiked a different hill every week I still wouldn't get them all :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 pm

RTC wrote:Your reports show more and more good reasons for moving to Canada. - But I'd miss the Saturday night ambience of downtown Stirling.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers RTC, you can still get that same ambience in an evening down on 17th Street in Calgary :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SMRussell » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Well done on getting back out into those mouthwatering mountains! :clap: And well done avoiding grizzlies.
Stunning photos as ever. Can't wait to see the photos become snowier and snowier as the year progresses!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 pm

SMRussell wrote:Well done on getting back out into those mouthwatering mountains! :clap: And well done avoiding grizzlies.Stunning photos as ever. Can't wait to see the photos become snowier and snowier as the year progresses!

Cheers SMR, first snow fell on the summits earlier this week, I think the mountains always look better with white tops, the trouble is by January they get 20 foot of it on the approach roads too :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Nice light and colours in the pics :) It's all greens and browns in Scotland at this time and the light can be a bit flat.

The more you post the more I am tempted to see what Canada has to offer!
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Clach Liath wrote:Nice light and colours in the pics :) It's all greens and browns in Scotland at this time and the light can be a bit flat. The more you post the more I am tempted to see what Canada has to offer!

Cheers CL, there is so much to this place, my map showing all my hikes over here looks like a pinky finger nail against a football pitch, I've hardly scratched the edge of the Rockies as yet :crazy: I would definitely advise you to give it a look :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Chris, so glad to see you back enjoying the hills! :D I think you and Mt Indefatigable have something in common... :wink:
Don't worry about the hip still aching, such problems usually take time to recover. It took me six months to get rid of my knee injury and even now sometimes it reminds me of the old accident, especially on steep slopes. I guess it's just a matter of patience.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland