walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Millstone Edge / Hathersage Moor

Millstone Edge / Hathersage Moor

Postby StephenT » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:47 am

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8.7 km

Ascent: 225m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As the weather forecast was for an excellent day we decided a day in the Peak District was in order, destination the area just north of Grindleford.
PeakDistrict_Sep12 010.JPG
Small Track up through the heather

After parking the car at the road side, we set off through the gate and down and over the footbridge taking the track up through the heather which very quickly brings you to the A6187. Cross over and head west through the carpark towards the viewpoint looking towards Hathersage.
PeakDistrict_Sep12 013.JPG
Hope Valley towards Hathersage

Continue northwards along the top of Millstone Edge
PeakDistrict_Sep12 014.JPG
Millstone Edge

Continue along the track through the heather to a sheep fold SK253816, at this point head towards Higger Tor
PeakDistrict_Sep12 017.JPG
Higger Tor

Pick your own line to the top, making it as easy or as difficult as you want :)
After a brief lunch admiring the views, we continued north towards Upper Burbage Bridge which Vicky duly posed under :)
PeakDistrict_Sep12 018.JPG
Upper Burbage Bridge

From here there is a choice of routes back along the top of the rock or the bottom. We chose the bottom route allowing us to watch the climbers as we went along
PeakDistrict_Sep12 020.JPG
Burbage rocks

A few more view shots -
PeakDistrict_Sep12 023.JPG

PeakDistrict_Sep12 025.JPG
Vicky on a rock - she might not kill me if she sees this on here :)

PeakDistrict_Sep12 026.JPG
Higger Tor (right)

PeakDistrict_Sep12 027.JPG
Burbage Rocks

Continue along the track across the main road and follow the steam back to the bridge to the start of the walk where it was considerably busier than when we started! But the ice cream van :D parked where we started was a welcome sight on a very hot day.
PeakDistrict_Sep12 029.JPG
Busy! - but does show the start of the route through the heather
Last edited by StephenT on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Re: Millstone Edge / Hathersage Moor

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 pm

How I miss the hope valley :( lovely report and cracking photos Stephen as well as a wonderful reminder of home for me, cheers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Good report. I walked the Eastern Edges on August Bank Holiday Sunday. I took the high route along Burbage Edge, so nice to see the lower routes. Looks like you just missed the Toad's Mouth Rock, which is worth the short detour (if you like rocks shaped like giant toads :lol: ).
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby houdi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Great to see my old stomping ground again. It was round here I developed my scrambling skills, or where I learnt to be stupid and irresponsible, according to the missus. It sure takes me back to my younger days. Thanks for the memories.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby StephenT » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm

ChrisW wrote:How I miss the hope valley :( lovely report and cracking photos Stephen as well as a wonderful reminder of home for me, cheers :D

Cheers Chris, pleased to see you are still in one piece after your recent adventures :)
Phil the Hill wrote: Looks like you just missed the Toad's Mouth Rock, which is worth the short detour (if you like rocks shaped like giant toads :lol: ).

Thanks Phil, Something to look out for next time we are out that way, plenty of weird shaped rocks in the area :lol:
houdi wrote:Great to see my old stomping ground again. It was round here I developed my scrambling skills, or where I learnt to be stupid and irresponsible, according to the missus. It sure takes me back to my younger days. Thanks for the memories.

When I was a lot younger I also enjoyed scrambling up these rocks and often being stupid and irresponsible. Now slightly older, when I'm out with the missus she does keep me under control :lol: ..... and safe :)
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland