walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tryfan & Glyders

Tryfan & Glyders

Postby houdi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Tryfan

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 6.5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A glorious day in Snowdonia on Saturday. Things kicked off with a cloud inversion and just got better from then on in. Did Tryfan’s north ridge, the cannon, Adam & Eve, all the usual stuff, before moving on to Bristly Ridge & the Glyders. There are two distinct gullies at the start of Bristly Ridge ( to the right of the wall). Apparently, ‘sinister’ means ‘left’ in Latin, and the bigger gully with all the scree coming out of it (and the one I’ve always used in the past mistakenly believing it to be sinister gully) is actually Main Gully. Some people call it Dexter Gully, as ‘dexter’ is Latin for ‘right’. Anyway, Dexter (or Main) Gully is slightly more difficult because of an awkward exit at the top. The first pitches of both gullies are wet and, if you start off in Main Gully and don’t fancy the second pitch, there is a path traversing across to Sinister Gully. Also it is possible (and easier) to climb up the rock on the right of Sinister Gulley and so avoiding the wet first pitch.
And that’s about it really as I’m going to let the pictures do the talking. Loads of thanks to Pete, Jenny, and Chloe (hope I remember the names properly) from Devon who were responsible for the cannon, Adam & Eve, and cantilever photos. A magic day all round, but no goats. Where did all the goats go to on Tryfan??

sn1.JPG
Cloud fills Nant y Benglog

sn2.JPG
Llyn Ogwen obscured by cloud

sn3.JPG
A sea of cloud over the Menai Straits

sn5.JPG
Views start to open up

sn6.JPG
Leap of faith from Adam to Eve

sn7.JPG
And back

sn8.JPG
Bristly Ridge

sn9.JPG
Scrambling Sinister Gully

sn10.JPG
Looking back to Tryfan from Bristly Ridge

sn11.JPG
The Cantilever on Glyder Fach

sn12.JPG
This levitation lark’s dead easy once you get the hang of it!

sn13.JPG
Castle of the Winds with a Snowdon backdrop

sn14.JPG
The Snowdon Horseshoe

sn15.JPG
Towards Glyder Fawr

sn16.JPG
Glyder Fawr summit rock formations

sn17.JPG
Crib Goch (left), Snowdon (centre), Carnedd Ugain (right)

sn18.JPG
View to Anglesey down Nant Peris

sn19.JPG
Glyder Fach from Glyder Fawr

sn20.JPG
Y Garn & Llyn Idwal

sn21.JPG
Pen yr Ole Wen from Y Gribin

sn22.JPG
All the way to the sea

sn23.JPG
Tryfan & Llyn Bochlwyd
Attachments
sn24.JPG
Glyder Fach from Cwm Bochlwyd
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Re: Tryfan & Glyders

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Great report Houdi.........you jammy bleeder :lol: :lol: Stunning inversion to start and spectacular views all the way in perfect weather ....it must have been terrible for you :wink: Beautiful photos throughout and most impressive gymnastics on those rocks :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm

So it was a cloud inversion! I did the same route as you that day but I set off much later, after all the mist had gone. I wish I'd gone earlier now because I would have seen that inversion from above instead of being underneath it :D I love the photo of it.
On the other hand, the goats had come out to play by the time I got there :)
DSC_1744.jpg

Think I'd have preferred to see the cloud inversion though :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby houdi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks guys. Actually, I'm not really sure what a cloud inversion is. It just looked like clag to me until I got up above it. So the goats were there after all! It was pretty busy when I went up Tryfan (lots of traffic) and so I guess they were hiding.
By the way, Chris, I still have a long way to go before I can produce pics like yours. In fact, it's been so long since I posted I made a mess of the pics. I added one at the end and deleted this one by mistake:-

sn4.JPG
The Cannon, Tryfan
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 pm

houdi wrote:By the way, Chris, I still have a long way to go before I can produce pics like yours. In fact, it's been so long since I posted I made a mess of the pics. I added one at the end and deleted this one by mistake:-

Its easy to get great shots when the topic is the Canadian Rockies mate :wink: I Like this last one, well worth including :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland