walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Street 2012 and a bothy visit.

High Street 2012 and a bothy visit.

Postby JonAksel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Mardale Ill Bell

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Street

Date walked: 06/04/2012

Time taken: 22

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1039m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easter 2012.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I stopped in Carlisle to see if I could find a good map of the Lake District. Nice city centre anyway.
Then I found the way to Mardale.
Some newly fallen snow over the hills in northern parts of England.
Haweswater Reservoir.
The full moon is rising.
A well made English wall.
This was my first time to visit a bothy, and it was a wee bit late. I was imagining there to be a lot of people,
as it was easter. Some grilling on the fireplace, some people maybe already half way into the dessert, maybe some of the elderly people nipping to a whisky in front of the fireplace telling stories from the good old days, and a smell of cigar in the air.
A little worried to disturb the party, I carefully knocked the door. Hodi, hodi.....
Not a single soul in there. I checked all the rooms if it was really true.
Then I relaxed with my crime novel in the light of a candle in a supercomfortable chair.
Next morning I wanted to make a round in the English mountains.
Bye to Mosedale Cottage.
A glimpse of Haweswater again.
One of the summits. I think it is Harter Fell with Yoke, Bell and Froswick as background.
View from Harter Fell to the Bell.
A twisting path.
Me again.
Backview to Windermere
The summit of High Street.
Blea Water.
The eastern ridge of High Street.
English agricultural landscape.
It's beautyful in the Lake District.
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Re: High Street 2012 and a bothy visit.

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 am

A fine report Jon, you did well to get that bothy to yourself :shock: Nice to see a bit of white on the hills, I found some of my own yesterday for the first time this season, .winter is already looking in and its not even autumn yet :roll: love that first shot of Carlisle....almost makes me homesick.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland