walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Burstall Pass - my new favourite Canadian hike

Canada - Burstall Pass - my new favourite Canadian hike

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:48 am

Date walked: 18/09/2012

Time taken: 7

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 997m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a forecast for cool morning temperatures rising to 26 degrees in the afternoon I decided to rise early and make the long trip round to the Smith Dorian/Spray Lakes Trail (Highway 742) To the large car park signed for Burstall Pass.

There are a large number of trails available from here not just the pass, there are also several fishing lakes accessible from here, so I was pleasantly surprised to find only one other car in the car park when I arrived at 9.15

it was very cool on arrival but the sun was well on the way and after the usual exploration/getting ready, I set off across Mud Lake dam at 09:30 really looking forward to this long hike.

The trail is easy to follow with hiking signs showing the route along an old logging road where a hint of early autumn colour brightens the forest floor.

I am covering the ground quickly on very good going and I'm soon well on the way looking back across the canyon that holds Burstall Creek to the lakeside mountains at the car park

the elevation gained is lost as the trail dips back down to a broad flat area where a short detour takes me to the shore of the middle one of 3 Burstall Lakes, I grab a few photos then retrace my steps to the main trail and press on.

After 3.5km I come across a bike rack beside the trail, knowing what I know now I think a bike/hike combination would have been a good idea here (and would have saved 7km of walking) If I ever decide to come this way again I'll bear it in mind. The next point of interest comes soon after the bike rack where the trail exits the forest into a wide glacial run off from the Robertson Glacier.
crossing the run off area was easier than expected as there was very little water in any of the myriad of streams criss-crossing the area. Much of the area is grown over with shrubs that are beginning to turn toward autumn shades.

A zoomed shot to the south-east shows the remains of the Robertson Glacier sitting between the pinnacle like Mt Robertson on the left and the broad mass of Mt Sir Douglas opposite. It is humbling to think that only 100 years ago, where I am currently standing would be a glacial mass hundreds of feet deep.

Looking to the east along the glacial path surrounded on all sides by mountains it is easy to imagine the glacier filling the space currently taken by shrubs and the occasional pine tree.

at the far side of the wash out I re-enter the trees and immediately begin a very steep ascent along a narrow twisting trail that undulates through the dense, dark forest.

The ascent through the forest is only briefly punctuated by occasional glimpses of mountains away to the north so it is pleasing to break out of there into the sunshine on the edge of an alpine meadow.

The trail is well worn and I would probably be able to make good time along here but I continually stop to look back at Mt Birdwood and take photos of the incredibly beautiful valley, littered with splashes of gold against the blue sky and slate grey rocks is is a wonderful sight.

looking ahead up another long glacial valley the majority of the trees are turning yellow and add a direct contrast to the colours of Whistling Rock Ridge behind them

I ascend to the first of several ridge lines and stop for a sit down on a large smooth rock, the oranges and swiss army knife are soon making an appearance and I enjoy 10 minutes rest whilst consuming my favourite fruit. The view back along the valley defies description, clearly I may have to re-think my favourite Canadian hike...........

the trail curves around and up to another higher ridge which is the high point of Burstall Pass, now I'm left with a choice of 'what now'. To the north is Snow Peak which looks like a good grunt from here, to the south is South Burstall Pass which doesn't look much easier....but it does lead to a glacier viewpoint.

The small unnamed glaciers are little to look at from here but I have a real fascination with glaciers and decide that is the direction for me today, I can always come back here at some point and tackle Snow Peak.

Instead of heading directly for the glaciers I head west up a grassy hill so I can get a better view of the area as a whole. Across the way is another green hill listed as 'Leman Lake viewpoint' in my guide book, as it appears to link nicely with a long ridge (again unnamed) I decide to head to the viewpoint first and then south (left) along the ridge.

There is a good size cairn to pose beside so I take the opportunity to do so before dropping down into the green valley and the short steep ascent to the viewpoint

I'm not sure this should be described as a viewpoint for a lake that is so damn far away, but it is a great spot all the same and affords a stunning view along the Spray river valley and to the mountains beyond.

to the south lies ridge 147230 (or so my book says) and on its northern flank a propeller shaped remnant of snow from last year, the mountain on the right of this shot is Mt Leman and to the left of that is Mt Queen Elizabeth

I wasted little time at the viewpoint and carried on along the ridge. I needed a bit of hands on scrambling at the start to get up a nub of rock between the viewpoint and the ridge then I began a steep ascent by circling around the propeller of ice clinging to the scree slope.

it is a steep climb and toward the summit is a feast of moving rock on a narrow broken pinnacle but already I can see the spectacular views opening up.

with some careful manoeuvring on the lose rocks I make it to the summit and I'm pleased to see a wider flat area and a good size cairn. The view to the south is as wonderful as the rest of the views on this new 'favourite Canadian hike'

To the north are so many pointed tops they would be impossible to count. To the west (left) the Spray river valley is a hidden wilderness with no vehicular access, a haven for wildlife tucked away between huge ranges out of sight to all but the most determined hikers. Finally, to the east is that wonderful valley along which I made my way here, its beautiful colours still shining against the grey mountains.

I set the camera on the cairn and make a dash for a small point overlooking Leman lake, the views are spectacular in every direction and I can see almost every north facing slope holding small pockets of snow.

I think this is my highest peak yet at 8550 feet and I'm surprised that is is still warm enough for just the fleece. I didn't stay long at this summit as I had a ridge walk to do which included some scrambling and a few up and downs along a fractured rock traverse, I didn't want to be rushing it.

from half way along the ridge I am already fully aware of the brittle nature of this traverse, the underfoot conditions are very poor but the views are incredible, maintaining focus is all that is required but it does need to be maintained all the way along the traverse.

I am happy when I reach the end of the ridge and look down upon the beautiful green valley and the two glacial remnants clinging to the north western flanks of Mt Sir Douglas. I know that just behind the mountain is the huge Haig Glacier which these two remnants, the Robertson glacier and several others were all part of at some point. I hope to get over to the Haig glacier one day but there is so much to see here it is difficult to remember all the ones on my wish list.

I make my descent down a scree ridge onto a grassy bank still walking south for a final close up view of the glaciers before I turn and begin the long road home.

from the grassy bank a small plateau gets me moving north east and down another long scree descent toward the karst on the western flanks of Whistling Rock Ridge.

once on the higher end of the valley floor I find myself blocked from crossing all the way to Whistling Rock Ridge by a large vertical drop off, I don't have time to go around it so skirt the edge in the hope of finding a descent route.

walking along the ridge on smooth rock is a blessing after all the scratching about on the ridge and the scree descent, this tree provided a beautiful foreground to another shot of Mt Birdwood

I still can't see a route down from the ridge so I carry on following it around toward the top of the pass where I first went 'off trail'. The view from the ridge top shows the scale of the alpine valley below

after a couple of km I'm almost back at the trail and take a last look back at that wonderful southern section of the valley, it's a shame I couldn't explore the karst system but I did find a few shafts that went down into it and a few that were blocked with rockfall

I soon pick up the trail and begin the long slow descent through the valley, I met 2 women hiking up and stopped for a chat about the usual stuff, I think they were pleased of a reason to stop for a while as it's a long pull up here out of the trees.

by the time I reached the top of the dark forest that leads down to Robertson glacial washout area I was tiring, it had been a long day and I'd only eaten 3 oranges and a handful of sweets, I could have done with some energy but didn't fancy my lunch so carried on down into the 'root heavy' path through the forest.

My fatigue led to a mistake on my part, I left it too long between 'YO BEAR' shouts and as I topped a small rise I saw a female Grizzly and 1 cub about 40 metres ahead on the trail. I stopped abruptly she was staring right at me. I started speaking to her softly as she looked directly at me. "easy bear, just walking, eeeeeeasy now" I reached for my pepper spray but the wind was toward me so it was no use, the bear was moving its head side to side trying to make out what I was, with the light behind me I was silhouetted, it was a perfect storm of bad timing. Suddenly she stood up on her hind legs sniffing the air trying to get a sense of what I was, I walked backwards slowly still reassuring her in soft tones. Once back over the hump in the trail I grabbed my hat from my waistband and pulled it onto my head hard, not much use but I think leather might be better than a bald head for protection. I unzipped the pouch on my belt and took out a bear banger and the launch tool, as I was screwing the banger onto the end of the tool she appeared on the hill top walking toward me, this time I shouted 'YO BEAR', she stopped and once again stood up on her hind legs sniffing, she wasn't threatening but was far too inquisitive for my liking. I continued shouting 'GO ON NOW - GIT' but she didn't, she dropped to all fours and started walking slowly toward me, I released the mechanism and a hissing whoooosh carried the banger toward her, that sound caused her to turn and before she got more than a step it exploded directly over her head and saw her off at full speed back to her cub then away crashing through the forest.

I let out a long breath and suddenly didn't feel tired any more. I fitted another banger to the mechanism and carried on walking down to the Robertson run off where the afternoon sun had caused melting that filled all of the little streams with water....I just waded on through, I didn't feel like hanging about much longer.

As I crossed the run off every movement was a grizzly, every shuddering bush wasn't caused by the breeze but by a passing bear...there were a lot of 'YO BEAR' shouts from here to the end of the walk.

The next 4km was a feast of checking behind me, looking into the forest in every direction and shouting 'YO BEAR' almost repeatedly... I was glad to see the open space leading to the car park where suddenly I felt very, very tired as the adrenalin finally stopped coursing though me.
I called the rangers to report the bear (as required) and after a long phone interview to get all of the details down the ranger assured me that my handling of the situation was correct, he confirmed it was a grizzly by the markings I gave him, the most obvious being that she had a grey patch on her chest when she stood up, they were aware of this particular bear. I felt really bad for giving her such a massive scare but her inquisitiveness could have become a real problem had I not done it.

This hike goes to the very top of the list as my new favourite Canadian hike, it is truly beautiful, there is a good trail for most of it and with hindsight could be shortened with a mountain bike. It has lakes, rivers, mountains, glaciers and alpine valleys. There are crumbling ridges and spectacular views, it is by any measure an exceptional hike.

Another hike to remember.....for more than one reason!!
Last edited by ChrisW on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Burstall Lakes - my new favourite Canadian hike

Postby Stretch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 am

Not brave enough to snap a pic or two of the grizzly, Chris? :lol:

These are quality pics. I'm playing the lotto every week and I already have a few of your walks in mind for when I win the jackpot and come for a visit lol.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Canada - Burstall Lakes - my new favourite Canadian hike

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 am

Stretch wrote:Not brave enough to snap a pic or two of the grizzly, Chris? :lol:
These are quality pics. I'm playing the lotto every week and I already have a few of your walks in mind for when I win the jackpot and come for a visit lol.

Cheers Stretch, I seriously considered trying to get a pic at the first sighting but she changed my mind for me really quickly :shock: :lol: , it was quite an experience to have her keep coming toward me and I confess the only thing that stopped me from running was the thought that I would entice her to chase and attack me.....but it took some effort not to run anyway :lol: :lol:
You should definitely come up here, you don't need a lottery win, you only live down the road a ways :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Re: Canada - Burstall Pass - my new favourite Canadian hike

Postby Steve B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am

Another great report Chris. You must be getting fed up with all that sun and views like that :)
The Grizzly encounter certainly puts the midges in perspective. Well done on doing the right thing in what must have been an 'exciting' moment. :shock:
Keep them coming.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Sounds like your worst nightmare, Chris, but well done on keeping your cool and acting appropriately :thumbup:

This has to be my favourite new hike of yours :lol: Wow, wow, wow, what amazing photos :roll:

I trained to be a Geography teacher and those mountains, rocks, glaciers, lakes and.......a Karst system.....well what heaven!! :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby sross » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:23 pm

The "bear factor" (and grizzly in particular) is why my recent vacation was to Scotland to go walking amongst the hills. I was horrified to hear there is talk about re-introducing bears in Scotland (the beavers are a whole other issue).

Thank you for the spectacular pictures and walk! Getting into the wilds of the west should be a priority before the glaciers are gone.

I've been to Jasper/Banff/Lake Louise/Whistler area, but wasn't aware that there was such a back-country trail system. Are there similar maps to the OS Maps we picked up in Scotland?

Awesome.
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Steve B wrote:Another great report Chris. You must be getting fed up with all that sun and views like that :)
The Grizzly encounter certainly puts the midges in perspective. Well done on doing the right thing in what must have been an 'exciting' moment. :shock: Keep them coming.

Cheers Steve, I'm going to have to get used to not seeing rain for another 5 months very soon (there's virtually no rain here September to March).....I'm just going to have to put up with it :roll: ........ :lol:
SusieThePensioner wrote:Sounds like your worst nightmare, Chris, but well done on keeping your cool and acting appropriately :thumbup: This has to be my favourite new hike of yours :lol: Wow, wow, wow, what amazing photos :roll: I trained to be a Geography teacher and those mountains, rocks, glaciers, lakes and.......a Karst system.....well what heaven!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Susie, it wasn't so bad because she never looked like attacking.....just got a bit too nosey, she did give me an energy boost though :lol: I can understand your feelings on the mountains, I was in heaven myself this is a beautiful location.
sross wrote:The "bear factor" (and grizzly in particular) is why my recent vacation was to Scotland to go walking amongst the hills. I was horrified to hear there is talk about re-introducing bears in Scotland (the beavers are a whole other issue). Thank you for the spectacular pictures and walk! Getting into the wilds of the west should be a priority before the glaciers are gone. I've been to Jasper/Banff/Lake Louise/Whistler area, but wasn't aware that there was such a back-country trail system. Are there similar maps to the OS Maps we picked up in Scotland? Awesome.

Cheers sross, the bears are OK and so beautiful to see in their natural environment, people shouldn't fear them (but should have a very healthy respect for them) and know how to act in the event of meeting one. The other solution is to use the more heavily used trails that I avoid (and so do the bears) :wink: There aren't maps for the back country areas as detailed as the OS maps back home as the place is just too dam big, but there is a series made by Gem Trek that covers large areas the Rockies from Jasper in the north to the southern end of Kananaskis (they also do one for Waterton Lakes National Park further south) they are excellent and have many trails already listed on the map itself.
There is another company that makes what might be viewed as OS type maps (gov survey maps) but they are 1-100,000 scale and sometimes 1-150,000. It can be quite challenging navigating lesser used long trails around here just because of the huge dense forests that cover thousands of acres at a time, but there are many very popular long routes with clear signs so there is something for everyone.
I would advise people from back home who want to escape the crowds and get a real feeling of wilderness to visit Kananaskis, but not on the weekend :lol: it will be full of Calgarians then :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm

So there I was thinking...'fantastic, another wonderfest from ChrisW, sit back and enjoy' but no!!! you soon had me on the edge of my seat, eyes agog with your encounter with the bear :shock: :shock:

Don't think I'd be shouting YO Bear, more like F. O. Bear!!!! :lol: :lol:

Poor Mrs W, she must be demented when she sees your hiking gear getting looked out!!! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm

pollyh33 wrote:So there I was thinking...'fantastic, another wonderfest from ChrisW, sit back and enjoy' but no!!! you soon had me on the edge of my seat, eyes agog with your encounter with the bear :shock: :shock:
Don't think I'd be shouting YO Bear, more like F. O. Bear!!!! :lol: :lol:
Poor Mrs W, she must be demented when she sees your hiking gear getting looked out!!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers Polly ............F.O. Bear :lol: :lol: I was trying to be calm....and YO BEAR come natural to me now as I shout it so often. Though when it was gone there was a 5 minute long swearfest as I exited the forest :lol: :lol:

When I tell her, Sarah just shakes her head now and strokes the life insurance documents in her pocket :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby monty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:19 pm

A festival of photos once again Chris, spruced up with excitement and danger all rolled into one. I can quite easily lose myself in those photos for ages. Superb :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 pm

monty wrote:A festival of photos once again Chris, spruced up with excitement and danger all rolled into one. I can quite easily lose myself in those photos for ages. Superb :D

Thanks Monty, the photos aren't a patch on the real thing either :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Jeezo Chris,near fell of my seat reading this one mate,bit to close for my liking,was goging to ask if you got any pictures,but stretch beat me to it.Mind and by a new bear scare away thingy,dont want to get caught short.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby clivegrif » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Another belter Chris, its just a whole different world over there.

Like the look of that Mt Birdwood - looks like it has the odd decent scramble route on it :lol:

Glad you survived the bear encounter, reminded me of this warning sign I came across - seems to contain some good advice for future encounters.

grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg

Locally the most we get is the odd group of chaps taking their dogs 'for a walk' (with the obligatory spade) or wild boar encounters in the Forest of Dean that included a big ol' Boar breaking into the Spar in Coleford and devouring the contents of the shops freezer!

A brilliant trip report as always Chris - I'm jealous as hell, and am looking forward to your next one. :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby charliebloke1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 pm

I've been lurking over your fantastic reports for a while now and with an impending 10th wedding anniversary looming we've been looking for somewhere special to spend it and you've certainly sold Canada to us! . . . Judging by the others comments I reckon you should start claiming commission from the Canadian tourist board.

. . . maybe I won't show my wife this one about the close encounter:shock: . . . but gripping stuff though & thanks for sharing your reports!!!
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Jeezo Chris,near fell of my seat reading this one mate,bit to close for my liking,was goging to ask if you got any pictures,but stretch beat me to it.Mind and by a new bear scare away thingy,dont want to get caught short.

Maybe it sounds worse than it was mate, she was just a bit too inquisitive rather than threatening, though fresh undies wouldn't have gone a miss :lol: I'm heading down to MEC to reload on bangers (and browse the store as always) before I go out again :wink:

clivegrif wrote:Another belter Chris, its just a whole different world over there.
Like the look of that Mt Birdwood - looks like it has the odd decent scramble route on it :lol:
Glad you survived the bear encounter, reminded me of this warning sign I came across - seems to contain some good advice for future encounters.
Locally the most we get is the odd group of chaps taking their dogs 'for a walk' (with the obligatory spade) or wild boar encounters in the Forest of Dean that included a big ol' Boar breaking into the Spar in Coleford and devouring the contents of the shops freezer!
A brilliant trip report as always Chris - I'm jealous as hell, and am looking forward to your next one. :D

Thanks Clive, that whole area at the top of the pass is spectacular with so many possibilities all around it's difficult to choose a route :roll: :lol:

I've seen that sign before and it still makes me laugh - There are people hiking around with those little bells on their rucksacks still, but consensus is that they don't work.....as demonstrated by the content of Grizzly poop :lol:
I took out pepper spray for this one but she was up wind of me - I kept it in my hand and thought if she attacks I'll douse us both....it will either scare her off or it will just add seasoning :lol:

None of this is anywhere near as exciting as a boar charging around in a Spar shop :crazy: :lol:
charliebloke1 wrote:I've been lurking over your fantastic reports for a while now and with an impending 10th wedding anniversary looming we've been looking for somewhere special to spend it and you've certainly sold Canada to us! . . . Judging by the others comments I reckon you should start claiming commission from the Canadian tourist board.
. . . maybe I won't show my wife this one about the close encounter:shock: . . . but gripping stuff though & thanks for sharing your reports!!!

Thanks Charlie, the Canadian Rockies are stunning and almost defy description, I swear the photos I post don't do them justice, if you have the resources to visit this wonderful corner of the world you will not be disappointed, even the standard 'tourist' stuff on the Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise corridor is incredible (but over popular for my liking) and I have still only seen about 0.0001% of the mountains around here :D
ChrisW
Rambler

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland