walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Burstall Pass - my new favourite Canadian hike

Canada - Burstall Pass - my new favourite Canadian hike

by ChrisW » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:48 am

Date walked: 18/09/2012

Time taken: 7

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 997m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Canada - Burstall Pass - my new favourite Canadian hike

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 am

rockhopper wrote:Epic stuff chris - and to think that some of us jump when the ptarmigan fly out from the heather.....a grizzly though, don't think I'd be as calm as you :shock: Great report and very enjoyable along with the cracking photos. Have only ever been walking in Glacier National Park, a bit to the south of you - stunning scenery - cheers :)

Cheers RH, not sure I would describe myself as calm :lol: but I maintained a level head at least :crazy: I've been eyeing Glacier for a while now, it would make a great week away in conjunction with Waterton Lakes National Park but winter is already threatening now so I'm not sure I'll get down there this year :roll:

Aliceb69 wrote:Absolutely beautiful ChrisW - bears appart! Makes me miss home! Thanks for sharing this stunning scenery and trek.

Thanks Alice, I really enjoyed this one, it is a spectacular location. Even the ber encounter wasn't so bad :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Another fantastic story :D Lovely views and the bear encounter of the 3rd kind, that's something to remember!

I'm a bit behind reading stories on WH, had 2 weeks of hillwalking holidays... Well, to be honest, just 1 week cause for the second one weather turned really nasty. Still we managed 5 Munros, 2 Grahams, some low-land strolls and 2 ruined castles. No bears though but plenty of blood- hungry ticks to keep us company :lol: :lol:

I have never seen a bear in the wild, but in Polish Tatry they aren't that rare. Still, in the last 100 years there were only 10 cases of bears attacking people. I guess the animals prefer to mind their own business... And I remember a shocking story from 2007, when a group of tourists encountered a young brown bear (1.5 years old so still in "cub" age). They started feeding him with sandwiches and of course the bear followed them expecting more grub. They got scared and started throwing stones at him, eventually drowning the poor animal in the stream :( :( :( Three of these "tourists" were later given financial penalties but the damage was done. A sad story.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:27 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Another fantastic story :D Lovely views and the bear encounter of the 3rd kind, that's something to remember!

I'm a bit behind reading stories on WH, had 2 weeks of hillwalking holidays... Well, to be honest, just 1 week cause for the second one weather turned really nasty. Still we managed 5 Munros, 2 Grahams, some low-land strolls and 2 ruined castles. No bears though but plenty of blood- hungry ticks to keep us company :lol: :lol:

I have never seen a bear in the wild, but in Polish Tatry they aren't that rare. Still, in the last 100 years there were only 10 cases of bears attacking people. I guess the animals prefer to mind their own business... And I remember a shocking story from 2007, when a group of tourists encountered a young brown bear (1.5 years old so still in "cub" age). They started feeding him with sandwiches and of course the bear followed them expecting more grub. They got scared and started throwing stones at him, eventually drowning the poor animal in the stream :( :( :( Three of these "tourists" were later given financial penalties but the damage was done. A sad story.

Thanks BP, I've been 'out of it' myself for the past week as I have family over here for two weeks....I've missed all the autumn colour in the mountains as they are not hikers :(
That is a really sad story of the little bear cub....its a pity its mum wasn't around to even the score :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Jeeez Chris, great report, I aint had much time to get onto the WH site lately so prob missed some of your marvelous pictures

I have just shown my Mrs the report about the bear encounter

She says your'e mad :crazy:

Keep em coming and take care pal
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Hard not to agree - that looks like possibly one of your best efforts 8) . Some scary stuff too :shock:

Glad you've got family stuff going on - it's given me time to catch up on your last few reports before you write more :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 am

L-Hiking wrote:Jeeez Chris, great report, I aint had much time to get onto the WH site lately so prob missed some of your marvelous pictures. I have just shown my Mrs the report about the bear encounter She says your'e mad :crazy: Keep em coming and take care pal

Cheers LH, its hard to keep up with the mass of quality reports that fill this site, a week away means missing a few for sure :shock: ...I think your Mrs might be right about me too :lol:
malky_c wrote:Hard not to agree - that looks like possibly one of your best efforts 8) . Some scary stuff too :shock: Glad you've got family stuff going on - it's given me time to catch up on your last few reports before you write more :lol:

Cheers Malky, I loved this hike. The mountains all the way are spectacular and the colour of autumn really added to the beauty of the place....another week to go before I get out there again....and its snowing in the city today :shock: just a short blast though to let us know that winter is coming.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Amazing hike Chris and an absolute stunner, I can see why this one will top your list.....best you keep them bangers handy tho as that 'ol female grizzler might just be waiting for her picnic to arrive next time you visit! (gota say I am impressed how cool you were -personally I would probably have pooped meself!) :D :clap:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm

garyhortop wrote:Amazing hike Chris and an absolute stunner, I can see why this one will top your list.....best you keep them bangers handy tho as that 'ol female grizzler might just be waiting for her picnic to arrive next time you visit! (gota say I am impressed how cool you were -personally I would probably have pooped meself!) :D :clap:

Cheers Gary, in all honesty I was not as cool internally as I appeared externally :shock: but you can't run or it will trigger the bear to chase and kill you so that kind of limits the options :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 pm

That's certainly an adventure you'll remember, Chris.

the Canadian Rockies look amazing.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:52 am

simon-b wrote:That's certainly an adventure you'll remember, Chris. the Canadian Rockies look amazing.

I sure will Simon, not just for the bear but also for the incredible views from up on top of Burstall Pass, this place just gets better and better :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby StevenF » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm

great report!

I hope you get out for another walk this weekend, wouldn't mind some autumn pictures :-)
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 am

StevenF wrote:great report!
I hope you get out for another walk this weekend, wouldn't mind some autumn pictures :-)

Thanks Steven, I got out today for a 10 mile low level hike, unfortunately while the family were visiting, our Autumn colours came and went :( ....I'm going to have to wait another year :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland