walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dartmoor - Splodgenessabounds on Ugborough Moor

Dartmoor - Splodgenessabounds on Ugborough Moor

Postby garyhortop » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 482m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well It has been a while since I posted anything.....come to think of it it has been a while since I have been walking!! A busy summer of sorting children out has meant that there has been little time to get out on the moor and have a wander around. I have had to limit myself to the delights of reading the posts of others and looking on with slightly envious eyes at the great walks everyone has been doing. It also gave me a chance to try out the new secondhand camera......had a a few problems with it though...mostly operator based.....must read manual before next weekend!! :D

Well the children are sorted (more or less) and the wife is off away next weekend so I thought I had best get a leg stretch in so I can make the most of next weekend (weather permitting and provinding she doesn't leave too many jobs to do/11). The original plan here had been to go to Burrator and walk around the reservoir area but a late start and vast amounts of rain over the last few days led me to think that this route might be less boggy/soggy and wet and was nearer to home. Also I have done this route before (more or less) and much of it was on well made up paths.

The weather was really good with bright sunshine and a strong wind which made it quite pleaseant on the tops although as I soon discovered though, was that as soon as you left the well made up paths you were mostly shin deep in bog!! All the rain has turned Dartmoor into a giant sponge and anything outside of tracks was just downright hard work. :(

I don't plan to say too much about the walk as I have covered this previously and details can be found at:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18542

This is just a slight variation of that route.

Here are a few photo's though of slightly better conditions than the report mentioned above and I have to say having done this largely neglected part of the South Moor it's offers some superb views/vista's across the whole of the South devon coast - although not sure these pictures do it justice!!

DSCF2006.JPG
Beano Wants a Walk!

DSCF2007.JPG
Western Beacon from start of walk

As you start to climb you get a good view west of the china clay works and man made hills at Whiteworks:
DSCF2009.JPG
Whiteworks

and a good view south over Ivybridge to the sea!

DSCF2010.JPG
Back towards Ivybridge & the sea

The way ahead is looking nice and clear:
DSCF2014.JPG
Sharptor and Ugborough

As you continue the steady climb Plymouth sound comes into view:

DSCF2015.JPG
Plymouth Sound (telephoto)

DSCF2016.JPG
Stone Row below Piles Hill

Then start the climb up onto Piles Hill passing Hobajons Cross - known locally as "Hoppyjon" - apparently there seems to be a theory that this a replacement cross for one much older cross that once stood here and was removed in 1557 and the old one was used as a marker stone at Three Barrows on Brent Manor! (Since been broken up!)

DSCF2017.JPG
Ancient Stone Cross - Hobajons Cross

On the summit of Piles Hill you have the longstone or recumbent longstone. Apparently this has been set upright in the past a couple of times.....but clearly prefers a leisurely lounge!!

DSCF2018.JPG
Recumbent Stone on Piles Hill

Also a good spot on a good day to view Plymouth Sound!

DSCF2019.JPG
Spot the Ferry!

Also a good place to view where you are going to end up later!

DSCF2020.JPG
Looking back to Ugborough (l) and Western (r) Beacons

Then carrying on to Sharptor and Ugborough Moor.

DSCF2021.JPG
Sharptor Summit Mound

It is then an about turn and follow the Two Moors Way back towards where you have come from but then when you get just below Glasscombe Ball take a left and go past Spurrells Cross towards the Ugborough Beacon.

DSCF2022.JPG
Stone Cross - Spurrells cross

It is then a steady climb, splodge, dodge and occasional splash to the summit!

DSCF2023.JPG
Ugborough Beacon

DSCF2024.JPG
Ugborough Beacon Summit

From the summit I headed down towards Crebers Rock and a strange looking post - again I wonder whether this is like the posts you find on Hameldown above Widecombe. These posts were planted during WW2 to stop German gliders and planes form landing - not sure whether this is the same though!

DSCF2027.JPG
Mystery Post below Crebers Rock

From Crebers its a stright line across to Butterdon Hill via a small stream crossing and more splodging to the summit.

DSCF2029.JPG
Trig on Butterdon Hill

and then on to the Western Beacon

DSCF2028.JPG
Western Beacon

and then a gentle walk off the moor and back to wence you started! All in all a nice wander on a really nice day .....and not another soul around!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Dartmoor - Splodgenessabounds on Ugborough Moor

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Great report Gary and how fantastic to have all of that wonderful Dartmoor beauty to yourself. I can see the water standing in a few of the pics but a good splodge isn't such a bad thing :lol: I love the views out to the sea but the first shot of your little dog made me laugh as he looks so grumpy, great report mate, good to see you out and about on Dartmoor again :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 am

ChrisW wrote:Great report Gary and how fantastic to have all of that wonderful Dartmoor beauty to yourself. I can see the water standing in a few of the pics but a good splodge isn't such a bad thing :lol: I love the views out to the sea but the first shot of your little dog made me laugh as he looks so grumpy, great report mate, good to see you out and about on Dartmoor again :D

Cheers Chris, I was slightly surprised how quiet everything was - I guess all the rain the previous week may have put some people off but the couple of times I have been up here it has generally quiet and I don't think it is a well visited area compared with many others. As you say a good splodge is better than a day in the office!! I am also hoping to cheer the grumpy dog up a bit, she isn't all that grumpy...I just think it is the way Border Terriers look! Looking forward to getting out and about this weekend to some new areas on the Moor...watch this space! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Gary great report & pics. Good to see you out and about. I was beginning to think you had forgotten what your legs were for! :lol: :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 pm

A fantastic day and some lovely shots of the views. The ground does look very wet however. We suffered the same thing on Sunday in the Lakes, stunning day but plenty rain the previous week had left everything wetter than an otters pocket. Still that's why they invented waterproof boots :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Hi Gary great report & pics. Good to see you out and about. I was beginning to think you had forgotten what your legs were for! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Chris....and it was good to be out and about again and get a decent walk in...its been too long!! Must confess my legs are remembering this walk! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:A fantastic day and some lovely shots of the views. The ground does look very wet however. We suffered the same thing on Sunday in the Lakes, stunning day but plenty rain the previous week had left everything wetter than an otters pocket. Still that's why they invented waterproof boots :D

Thanks JK...it was a bit "Otters Pocket" and not helped by the fact that I had forgotten to put my gaiters in the car.....waterproof boots are good up to the ankles! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland