walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Days of Fall Hikes in the North Woods, Ontario Canada

Two Days of Fall Hikes in the North Woods, Ontario Canada

Postby sross » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 am

Date walked: 06/10/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 22 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

8078345656_59be507ed8_s.jpg
In early September, Zeke and I visited Scotland. We had many spectacular adventures that were only possible because of this website and especially: the walk information, member walk reports and the excellent advice we got from some of the participants on this website.

In return, I would like to share some of the fall beauty of the northern lakes and woods of Ontario, Canada with all of you.

Last weekend was Thanksgiving here in Canada and the forecast was not great for our area. We were expecting to see lots of rain and sub-zero celsius temperatures-even warnings of some wet snow. In spite of the forecast, we carried on with our plans to spend the long weekend at a cottage about an hour south of Sudbury, Ontario. To make the drive more interesting to the north, we travelled through Algonquin Park.

The cottage is accessible by boat only and the trails we found in our Backroads Map book were on the opposite side of the lake. The trails are actually snowmobile trails, which means that they are meant for winter use only - when any water is frozen and the ground is covered in snow. When using these trails in the warmer seasons you run the risks of hitting areas too wet to get through on foot or that aren’t even visible. Since we decided to go at the last minute, I was not able to get to the government store to find proper maps and the one we had was something like 1cm:32km or something ridiculous like that.

These walks took place over two days and each day we had to paddle across the lake, pull the canoe up onto the rocks and head into the woods until we found the trail. We travelled one direction of the trail each day.

These hikes were significant for me because they were the first time in 12 years that I’ve walked deep into the woods without quaking in my boots seeing bears or moose around every tree. ChrisW’s adventure in Alberta with the grizzly made me seem quite silly, so I bought a can of bear spray and followed Zeke into the bush! We had a great time!

The pictures pretty much speak for themselves, and we hope you enjoy them – even though there weren’t any mountains or even tall hills involved.

Hopefully my picture links will work for you.
Sparky

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86269388@N06/sets/72157631748544651/
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Two Days of Fall Hikes in the North Woods, Ontario Canad

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:19 am

Beautiful fall colours Sparky, how wonderful for me to see some more of this incredible country without even leaving the comfort of my living room :D I love the wonderful colours of autumn you've captured like this one
Don't worry about not having any hills in there, hiking is hiking and always worth posting, I would love to see more from the East :wink: I'm actually planning a 10 mile flat wander myself for tomorrow, if the snow lets up :roll:
Great report mate, please keep on posting your hikes as I intend a long road trip over to Nova Scotia next year and will be looking out for good stopping off points along the way :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby sross » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:18 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report mate, please keep on posting your hikes as I intend a long road trip over to Nova Scotia next year and will be looking out for good stopping off points along the way :wink:

:) Thanks Chris, I will see what I can do to showcase some of the east, but first I have to get to putting my Scotland walks together and posting them.
We've been all over the Atlantic Provinces and Zeke grew up in Nova Scotia, it is well worth the time to travel. Cape Breton (teaming with Black Bears, Moose, Coyotes and Fox), Grand Manan Island in New Brunswick (Swallowtail Lighthouse is an excellent spot for whale watching), Gros Morne National Park in Newfounland (well that's just other-worldly), and then on the way east you could stop in Algonquin Park (Ontario), and the Mal Baie/Charlevoix area of Quebec -they have hills and sweeping views down to the St. Lawrence River, but not everyone can or chooses to understand English, so you need to be patient :wink:. Well, as long as I am not offending any rules, I will continue to share local hikes that are worthy and perhaps we can pose in a way that will make any small bump in the earth seem like a great hill :). Hopefully, next time I'll figure out how to get the pictures to be in order and imbedded in my report-oh well small steps.

Sparky
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby soulminer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Nothing the matter with them pics :) I don't stick to mountain walks for taking photos, the dogs and I roam all the local woods- and have some very fine images from them. Keep posting them :)
Cheers.
soulminer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland