walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Upper Kananaskis Lakes Circuit

Canada - Upper Kananaskis Lakes Circuit

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Date walked: 12/10/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 275m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With plenty of snowfall early this week I didn't get out to the hills until friday. I'd promised myself a circuit of Upper Kananaskis lake months ago but had yet to actually do it. I realised that if I didn't get it done the snow would close it out for another 6 months so I finally got my act together and headed out to the boat ramp car park at the south-east corner of the lake. The increased temperatures through thursday and overnight had seen off any ground lying snow but it was still 'winter cold' as I arrived in the 'boat launch' car park at 09:00.

I didn't hang around long at all and got myself ready and underway wearing my winter jacket for the first time this year. The route begins by crossing the boat ramp and taking the dam directly across toward the interlakes area. From the corner of the dam the view is stunning. Many people don't like man made reservoirs and dams and though I prefer the natural lakes I can find little wrong with this view.

On reaching the other side I found a confusing number of trails heading in several directions but none heading where I wanted to go, I decided to take a direct line over the top of the small forested hill at the far end of the dam hoping for some views from the top.

There were no views to be had from up there due to the density of trees so I ploughed on and directly over the hill leading to the lakeshore where I spied a trail away to the right. The small clump of trees on the left are on a peninsula at this time of year and an island at other times depending on water levels

after skirting the lake shore I picked up a good trail heading in the right direction and now felt I was 'set' for the day.

after rounding the corner I was struck by the skeletons of a thousand tree stumps littering the shore. I assume that the area was logged before being flooded in order to free up volume and make a financial contribution to the project. The stumps would have been left in situ due to the cost/benefit of removal. Over time these stumps have worn free and washed into the bays around the lake.

looking across the lake I see an entirely new valley which I have yet to explore. Later reviews of my trail guides refer to this as the hidden valley, it holds a large lake and a few good mountains too so another area to explore....I'll add it to the list of hundreds.

I'm soon around the interlakes area and onto the isthmus looking directly at Mt Indefatigable which I hiked back in August On the right is lower Kananaskis Lake a huge long body of water probably double the circumference of the upper lake. The wind is whipping up the water and the cold air keeps me moving out across the isthmus dam passing several 'Bear warnings' along the way.

by the time I have crossed and entered the trees I have my recent grizzly encounter at the forefront of my mind, then I see the 'Prime Grizzly Habitat' sign accompanied by another warning about making plenty of noise ...........YO BEAR

around the back of Indefatigable there is a need to climb a huge rock slide that covers a massive area, it looks like half of the mountainside fell off at some point in it's history

its quite nice to break out into the open and forget the YO BEAR shouts for a while, the rockfall area is huge and provides a great viewpoint for the mountains ahead as a snow storm moves in and a few little flurries of white drift by on the wind.

once across the rocks I drop down again and find a good trail heading across the western shore, the snowstorm stays away to the east, held in place by those beautiful mountains

the trail rises and falls along the western slopes with sparsely scattered pine trees allowing plenty of views over the lake. The wind here is blocked by the surrounding mountains and for the first time today I begin to think about taking my winter jacket off.

as I walked the trail still shouting YO BEAR at very frequent intervals I came across a ptarmigan sitting in the middle of the trail, then about 100 metres on, another one and finally a third all of which allowed me to get incredibly close before they wandered off into the trees. They seemed absolutely uninterested in me and only moved to save themselves being trod on, I found it really odd.

Approaching the lower falls that feed the lake the low water levels can be seen quite dramatically, I can't help but wonder where I would be walking if the water was high. The mountains in the distance are still doing a good job of holding on to the snow clouds.

On reaching the falls I was surprised to see a really well constructed seat, being almost 10km from the car park I don't imagine it gets much use, but it did make for a perfect lunch location. Hot tea is so much better than water when you stop for lunch, another upside of the cooler weather.

As there are no summits to stand on today I decide this is the spot for a pose, just upstream is a well made footbridge to see me safely across the river after lunch.

Once I am over the bridge and across a wet area (with boarding to save slopping through it) I am back into the forest for a few km, there is a good path and the forest has its own beauty but I get through some YO BEAR shouts as I go. There are clear signs of bear activity all along the trail, it is recent but not from today though I confess I seem to be much more bear aware today.....clearly that grizzly left a lasting impression.

the lakeside here has almost as many of those washed out tree stumps as the northern shore did, the snow is holding off but the clouds are growing across the beautiful blue sky

the clouds do make for some interesting contrasts of light and dark across the lake as the base of indefatigable is illuminated but it's south facing flanks remain shaded

I am soon at the upper falls and just 3km from the truck, again a good bridge is provided to cross the flow though in the current conditions it is hardly required

as I break out of the tree line the sky is full of clouds but the snow has stayed away, I decide to drop down to the rocky shore and do a little beachcombing for the final stretch

Though I don't find my fortune along the way the clouds do break a little and I see a nice looking picnic area on the peninsula just a few hundred metres from the truck.

well, it would be a shame to let this prime position go, so I settle down for a good 10 minutes enjoying the last of the flask and a spectacular view as the clouds drift away.

This was a great low level hike, I really enjoyed the day and for the first time this year had to wear the winter jacket and keep it on throughout the entire day, though that may have been different had I had to make any real ascent. Kananaskis Lakes are a bit of a snow magnet and sit in a cool valley but they remain one of my favourite locations in Alberta.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Upper Kananaskis Lakes Circuit

Postby soulminer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Now that's what you call scenery 8)
Some times you just have to put up with what's on your doorstep :lol: :lol:
Cheers
soulminer

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 am

Even though it was only a low level walk the views are still stunning mate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Good to see you back out again. Fantastic dramatic shots of the snow clouds behind the mountains:D
No wonder the ptarmigain weren't bothered by you, I'm afraid your just not as scary as a bear ;-)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Lenore » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Nice Chris, another stunning walk and report!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:51 pm

soulminer wrote:Now that's what you call scenery 8) Sometimes you just have to put up with what's on your doorstep :lol: :lol: Cheers

Cheers Soulminer, its tough being out here putting up with all this......but I'm making do with what I've got :lol:
gammy leg walker wrote:Even though it was only a low level walk the views are still stunning mate.

Cheers Gammy, I love this area it's about 90 mins drive from home through stunning scenery to get to it so even the drive in is enjoyable :D
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Good to see you back out again. Fantastic dramatic shots of the snow clouds behind the mountains:D No wonder the ptarmigain weren't bothered by you, I'm afraid your just not as scary as a bear ;-)

Thanks JK, those birds were acting really strangely, I think they had been pecking peyote leaves or something :lol:
Lenore wrote:Nice Chris, another stunning walk and report!

Thanks Lenore, I really enjoyed this one, very little effort for great rewards :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Phooooey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 pm

WOW ! Not a lot more to say really. All those different views and all at one level. Simply stunning !!
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Phooooey wrote:WOW ! Not a lot more to say really. All those different views and all at one level. Simply stunning !!

cheers Phoooey, having the open water at one side all the way keeps those lovely views open throughout the hike, it is a stunning location, well worthy of the full circuit :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Great to see another report from you Chris, and some beautiful photos as ever :thumbup:
Love the detail on the ptarmigan :D
Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland.....have posted 1 TR so far and hope to get photos onto my website soon :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great to see another report from you Chris, and some beautiful photos as ever :thumbup: Love the detail on the ptarmigan :D Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland.....have posted 1 TR so far and hope to get photos onto my website soon :lol:

Thanks Susie, I'll take a look in the Scotland section and review your holiday roaming :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:18 am

You never disappoint me, Chris! These Canadian views are just as good every time. Waiting for the big snowfall now? :lol:

You're right, sometimes a low level walk is just as good as climbing a summit... Especially when there is a wee body of water nearby. We walked around a loch as well yesterday. We got soaked in the rain, saw a rainbow and experienced 3 seasons of the year in less than 2 hours :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Looking good Mr W :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Another stunner Chris - What an amazing spot - the panorama's are just amazing!! No bears this time too!! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:11 am

BlackPanther wrote:You never disappoint me, Chris! These Canadian views are just as good every time. Waiting for the big snowfall now? :lol:
You're right, sometimes a low level walk is just as good as climbing a summit... Especially when there is a wee body of water nearby. We walked around a loch as well yesterday. We got soaked in the rain, saw a rainbow and experienced 3 seasons of the year in less than 2 hours :lol: :lol:

Thanks BP, 3 seasons in 2 hours is pretty good going .....even for scotland :lol:
Merry-walker wrote:Looking good Mr W :)

Hey MW....where ya been girl, thanks for the kind words :wink:
garyhortop wrote:Another stunner Chris - What an amazing spot - the panorama's are just amazing!! No bears this time too!! :wink:

Cheers Gary, thankfully no face to face with a grizzly....but I did still have the hairs on my neck standing up when I was in the deep woods :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Your low level walks are just as good as your high level ones :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland