walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chasing ghost trains around Rosedale

Chasing ghost trains around Rosedale

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Date walked: 17/10/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 388m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I peered through the windshield, clinging grimly to the wheel as the Lion Inn materialised out of the mist only for it to disappear just as quickly into the rain lashed gloom. The sighting of this famous hostelry signified my destination was imminent, and sure enough the puddle strewn parking area was arrived at shortly afterwards.
Unsurprisingly there were no other cars present as I turned off the engine, killing the radio and leaving no other sounds but the lashing rain on the roof and the excited whining from Hughie in the back seat. I pointed out to my canine companion that walking today might not be the best idea in the world but being a dog he either didn’t understand or didn’t care.
Ten hurried minutes later I was clad in waterproofs as we set off boldly into the mist, wind and rain. Within seconds the road seemed a distant memory and the route of the former Rosedale railway was reached.
For the next hour or so my horizons were reduced to my immediate environs as I made my way along the long since disused line. It was amazingly atmospheric and all too easy to imagine a steam locomotive making its torturous journey through cuttings and over dramatic embankments as the line makes its way around the head of the dale.
By the time I arrived at the dramatic Reeking Gill the rain had stopped (even if the mist was as dense as ever).so I decided to get my camera out of my backpack in a moment of rash optimism. I trudged onwards past the enticing sign inviting a visit to the Dale Head Farm tea room to be rewarded by the mist starting to lift as I caught sight of the green fields in the valley.

IMG_1004.jpg
Reeking Gill

IMG_1006.jpg
It was a bit wet

IMG_1008.jpg
Mist lifting to reveal green fields

A little further on shafts of sunlight began illuminating patches of farm land and by the time I reached the first of the crumbling mine ruins an amazing transformation was underway with increasingly wide slashes of sunshine creeping across the dale.

IMG_1012.jpg
A shaft of sunlight breaks through the clouds

IMG_1014.jpg
Rosedale Black house

IMG_1015.jpg
View to the mines

I wandered through the remains of the former Ironstone mines, finally slowing my pace to take in the evocative ruins. It’s over eighty years since the mine closed and nature has reclaimed this site to the point it’s almost beautiful. The smoke, noise and bustle that would have characterised this site back in the day have been replaced by chattering charms of goldfinch, scampering rabbits and the ever watchful sheep of the moors. It would have been easy to linger for longer but as I still had a fair way to go I bid farewell and marched on to the end of the line.

IMG_1018.jpg
Miners houses
IMG_1019.jpg
Workshops
IMG_1022.jpg
Houses from the workshop
IMG_1026.jpg
North 'iron' kilns
IMG_1029.jpg
Looking back to swathes of sunshine
IMG_1031.jpg
South 'stone' kilns
IMG_1032.jpg
more kilns
IMG_1033.jpg
and again
IMG_1034.jpg
Looking North

It was obvious given the number of cars I passed parked around the old goods shed that many rich folk had paid many pounds to blast grouse out of the sky. One industry replacing another I suppose.

I made my way down to Rosedale Abbey bathed in bright sunshine along small country lanes. I’m not a fan of road walking but there are times, particularly when walking with a dog it’s your only option in the Moors.

IMG_1038.jpg
Climbing out of the dale
IMG_1042.jpg
Looking down to Rosedale Abbey
IMG_1045.jpg
The Rosedale Chimney road catches the sunshine

After a largely tedious couple of miles (made worse by a huffed Hughie dragging on the lead, he doesn’t like roads either) we made it to the path up to Bank Top. It was good to be back to proper walking even if the several hours of heavy morning rain had left sections of ankle deep mud to negotiate. With the gain in height came improving views and by the time the route of the rail line was reached I was treated to a glorious panorama of the whole dale, seeing much of the route clearly for the first time.

IMG_1064.jpg
Looking across to the mines

IMG_1065.jpg
View of lower Rosedale

IMG_1070.jpg
And the view of upper Rosedale

Click on the link for a panoramic shot of Rosedale

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaysleftleg/8103757856/sizes/k/in/photostream/

The only time I really paused on the simple walk back to the car was at a bench erected as a tribute to the miners of Rosedale. One of the inscriptions read “Work shift over, in the sun, on the hill, having fun”, I don’t know who wrote this but I’m not sure they grasped the realities of life as a miner around a hundred years ago.

The walk around Rosedale had proved a very worthy outing filled with atmosphere and interest. This quiet dale bares the scars of its past remarkably well, in fact it could be said they enhance it, adding a uniqueness that makes it special.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

To find out more about the Rosedale mines and railway try the following link.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/r/rosedale/index.shtml
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Chasing ghost trains around Rosedale

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 am

What an absolute beauty JK, you really transferred that hike into a wonderful TR - I almost felt I was there with you in that miserable weather initially :shock: your shot looking down to Rosedale Abbey is so quintessentially English it makes me yearn for home. I really enjoyed this mate, almost as much as you did I think :clap: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 pm

lovely, was a truly foul morning on Wednesday so well done for venturing out and treating us to those great pics of the sun finally breaking through
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 pm

ChrisW wrote:What an absolute beauty JK, you really transferred that hike into a wonderful TR - I almost felt I was there with you in that miserable weather initially :shock: your shot looking down to Rosedale Abbey is so quintessentially English it makes me yearn for home. I really enjoyed this mate, almost as much as you did I think :clap: :D

Thanks for your kind words Chris. The Moors might not have many peaks of note but it offers a great deal to anybody who loves the outdoors.

mrssanta wrote:lovely, was a truly foul morning on Wednesday so well done for venturing out and treating us to those great pics of the sun finally breaking through

Wasn't it just :shock: any doubts were quickly dispelled by the thought of another day off doing jobs around the house and garden or heaven forbid the ironing :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 pm

A wonderful walk highlighting the vagaries of our weather, John. Some beautifully atmospheric photos and I especially like the one of Lower Rosedale :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Nice one JK, thats a beautiful part of the world and where I first got the bug for hill walking many years ago.

The weather is typical of the NY Moors, but at the same time there is that magic in the air especially when the sun breaks through the clouds as you demonstrated in your picture

Great stuff cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote: the ironing :lol:

what's that?? :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:06 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A wonderful walk highlighting the vagaries of our weather, John. Some beautifully atmospheric photos and I especially like the one of Lower Rosedale :thumbup:

Thanks Susie :D

L-Hiking wrote:Nice one JK, thats a beautiful part of the world and where I first got the bug for hill walking many years ago.

The weather is typical of the NY Moors, but at the same time there is that magic in the air especially when the sun breaks through the clouds as you demonstrated in your picture

Great stuff cheers

Thanks LH. :D To be honest the transformation in the weather made the walk even more memorable.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am

Superb Report JK - I really enjoyed this as this is not an area I know at all and the mix of scenery and history was great with some really good pictures as well! I enjoyed the commentary on Hughie....you could be describing my Border Terrier...dull as brushes!...they want to walk whatever the weather! :wink: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am

garyhortop wrote:Superb Report JK - I really enjoyed this as this is not an area I know at all and the mix of scenery and history was great with some really good pictures as well! I enjoyed the commentary on Hughie....you could be describing my Border Terrier...dull as brushes!...they want to walk whatever the weather! :wink: :D

Thanks Gary. My last dog didn't like the rain. Sometimes when wanting to be out she would go to the back door and if it was raining refuse to go out. She'd then go to the front door in the hope it might not be raining in the garden :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland