walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boronia peak, Australia

Boronia peak, Australia

Postby kazuhart » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:03 am

Date walked: 20/10/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 9 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report as I've not really been hillwalking for long and I thought that my first one would be my first munro but here I am in a place called Halls gap, it's about 4 hours drive inland from Melbourne and is surrounded by mountains. I've been in Oz for 5 weeks now and iv done a lot of walking but it's been around the cities so I was looking forward to this. :)

The one mountain that everyone comes here to do is called the Pinnacle but I thought I would ease into the surroundings by doing a smaller hill. My German room mate at the hostel came with me to walk Boronia peak and we set off at 10.30. You could tell that it was going to be a hot day but at that time of the morning it was fine, I had on sun cream and a big bottle of water with me. We walked parallel to stoney creek for about 2k and then the road forked, straight on to the visitor centre and upwards to the peak.

Bettina my room mate took the lead and she set quite a good pace, we came to a gap in the trees where you can see the scenery open up and the mountains that surround the village of Halls gap.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The well know summit of the Pinnacle is one of the ones above but I'm not sure which one, anyway onwards and upwards. Bettina was still setting the pace and I was keeping up fine with her, about 20 minutes after the last photo was taken it looked like we had nearly reached the summit :) but the path kept on going so we followed it until I looked around and noticed a higher summit quite close, this was obviously our summit ahead of us.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We were walking up the path when Bettina shouted "snake", it was a red bellied snake that is quite venomous but it slithered away and we live to continue our hike :shock: . After that encounter I kept on hearing things rustling in the bush and sometimes you could tell that whatever it was was massive, the best thing is to carry on walking as they will probably run away from me as fast as I'll run away from them.

image.jpg
This was not the snake we saw but there were a lot of these little lizards

After about an hour we reached what again we thought was the summit only for it to be another false summit :? We could see the real summit and it looked fearsome.

By this time of day the sun was beating down, my cheeks were on fire and I was sweating quite a lot. Bettina was fine though and putting me to shame. I was ready to give up at this point, there were no views as there was so much trees, it was hot and stifling. Bettina went on ahead and did a little scrambling when she shouted back that the view was amazing so I pushed myself on and she was not wrong. At this point there was a bit of wind that I loved and Bettina did not, she had to put on her jumper. We stayed there for a minute and pushed on the final 20 meters to the trig point. I think the photos tell the rest of the story so I hope you enjoy them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Last edited by kazuhart on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Re: Boronia peak

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Great first effort Kaz, lovely shots of Oz (we don't get much from Oz so keep em coming) Congrats on getting to your first summit. No need to worry about height and such like, just getting out there is a win every time :wink: It must be a little more exciting hiking in Oz due to the fact that everything that walks/crawls/swims wants to sting/bite/kill you :lol: - I look forward to more of this :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trekker53 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 am

Now that you've rediscovered the pleasure of the big outdoors maybe a few more reports from Oz would be nice.
Having done a truck adventure tour many years ago, the gorges and canyons are fantastic for hiking. Tried to sneak up close on a pair of fesh water crocodiles dosing in the sun to get that special photo, one took a dislike to me and snarled round. I didn't have get a shock and ran like the clappers. Luckily freshies are not big enough to kill you but you certainly don't want to be bitten. I found all those lizard type reptiles quite amazing.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby kazuhart » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:22 am

The area that i am staying at this week is nothing like you see in the tourist brochures, it's really stunning. I will put up another WR after I have done the Pinnacle.

trekker53 wrote:I found all those lizard type reptiles quite amazing.

How they blend into the background is really good. Someone would say "do you see the lizard?" And I would be one staring for ages and not see anything.

ChrisW wrote: It must be a little more exciting hiking in Oz due to the fact that everything that walks/crawls/swims wants to sting/bite/kill you :lol: - I look forward to more of this :clap:

:lol: I would be more scared of a grizzly bear than a snake, I'm told that even the most dangerous snake/spider will only bite you if you surprise it, or maybe they just tell the tourists that :?
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:13 pm

I would be more scared of a grizzly bear than a snake, I'm told that even the most dangerous snake/spider will only bite you if you surprise it, or maybe they just tell the tourists that

They say that about Grizzlys too....it may be a tourist trap :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 am

Nice report Kaz and good to see some wanders from down-under! Keep em coming! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby OneBlueEye » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Well done Karen... enjoyed that :clap:

I've read your story a couple of times and it looks a rare place to visit and explore.

Hope you don't mind I forwarded the link to your father, he said that was the most he'd seen or heard from ye since going away :)

T. x
OneBlueEye
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:5

Postby kazuhart » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks Tracy, I'm not getting a signal here in Halls gap at all but I'm moving on to the Great Ocean Road tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a signal there. I'll spend all my time on the phone and miss all the scenery, :lol: I've got about a week and half left of my holidays :( but I can't wait to see abody back home :) I've just done a walk report on the Pinnacle so you'll have to forward that to ma dad, thanks, see you soon.
kazuhart
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland