walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Winter in Autumn on Jumpingpound ridge

Canada - Winter in Autumn on Jumpingpound ridge

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Date walked: 21/10/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 239m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Made this short hike last sunday but only just got around to the post......it's been a busy (and snowy) week.

Sarah wanted to go for a walk in the mountains this weekend but she was out on Friday night until late and 'resting' on Saturday as a result. She didn't have a hangover (according to her) she just needed to drink 20 times more fluid than normal and ingest copious quantities of headache pills throughout the day.

So we couldn't get out until Sunday and it was something of a shock to get up Sunday morning to a good covering of snow and low clouds. Sarah still insisted that she wanted to go out to the mountains so we made our way along the Powderface trail to the roadside parking spot that gives access to Jumpingpound Ridge.

The low snow clouds had broken by the time we arrived and we were greeted by beautiful blue skies as we got our winter boots on for the gentle hike to the ridge.
Though there had been a few vehicles along the road none had stopped here so we were the first along the well marked trail and into the forest.
There was a little less snow in the forest but the path was still covered and the trees really did have the look of winter about them, and there were animal tracks everywhere.
it's not too long before Sarah lets me know that it's warmer than she thought (as usual) and she unzips her jacket and dumps her gloves in my rucksack but while doing so she hears the rustle of sweet packaging. Dammit, my treasure trove is uncovered, a large pack of wine gums that I carry in the rucksack for an occasional sweet treat along the trail.
I can only stand and watch the carnage that follows as she scoffs all the good colours in the next 5 minutes, I didn't get a look in as my stash was devoured......I got the packet with a few yellow jellies left in the bottom a short time later.
'Operation squirrel watch' seemed to be a success, at least that is what Sarah claimed to be doing with each of the frequent stops as we ascended through the forest. Personally I think she weighed herself down with all my sweets.
As we arrive on the ridge the snow clouds roll back in again and a few flurries blow by. We turn left and explore the ridge for a while heading west toward Jumpingpound Mountain
Walking out into the open ground below the mountain the temperature took a real nose dive though a couple of gaps appeared in the clouds giving a peek toward the east and a small window to the mountains.
The mountains actually looked stunning through the small window and it was great to stand and watch the clouds roll across the horizon changing the scene in front of us.
As we headed back into the forest to find a warm spot for lunch we stopped to look at this tree, heavily laden with pine cones, covered in snow and absolutely frozen, it looked like a christmas tree you might buy in the store.
Back in the relative warmth of the forest I found a nice large flat rock close to a trail map and wiped most of the snow off it before making a butt saver from my waterproof jacket and my down jacket combined. This time I even managed to get a sandwich and some tea.....Sarah must still be full of sweets.
from here we retraced our steps back to the truck, stopping to talk to a couple of women hiking in as we reached the trailhead. I drove home via the Elbow Valley where we saw a moose, several Rocky Mountain sheep and had to stop whilst a few young stags wandered across the road in front of us, then once home we had a lovely winter stew for dinner, the perfect end to a perfect day.

It has been below freezing (around -4 to -7) all week since this hike and with light snow falling every day it will be interesting to see what the mountains look like next week.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Winter in Autumn on Jumpingpound ridge

Postby Lenore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Winter wonderland! :D :clap:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby sross » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Ah winter and even snow!!! Can't wait. This route looks like a good cross-country ski route once the snow gets a little deeper. We are just finishing up with the autumn leaves in Southern Ontario, so hopefully the global warming will go somewhere else this winter and the snow will soon arrive.

As usual great pictures!
Sparky
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Lenore wrote:Winter wonderland! :D :clap:

It's certainly getting there Lenore, it's been snowing all week since this hike :shock:
sross wrote:Ah winter and even snow!!! Can't wait. This route looks like a good cross-country ski route once the snow gets a little deeper. We are just finishing up with the autumn leaves in Southern Ontario, so hopefully the global warming will go somewhere else this winter and the snow will soon arrive. As usual great pictures! Sparky

Cheers Sparky, it's been a good week out here for snow, and more to come but the chinook is moving in on Wednesday so it may melt out again :( ....nice for a play right now though :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Another nice wee wander, torture for you having to wait an extra day for it though :lol: Have you not told Sarah she's better to get out and walk a hangover off rather than take the headache pills :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Another nice wee wander, torture for you having to wait an extra day for it though :lol: Have you not told Sarah she's better to get out and walk a hangover off rather than take the headache pills :crazy:

Cheers Johnny, she could hardly move let alone walk it off mate :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 am

Yep,winters a comin,nice to see you & your good lady out walking Chris,cracking pictures as always,not sure Sarah will thank you for the one"hoovering" up your goddies though
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby trekker53 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Some great forest pics there Chris. A gentle warm up for when the real winter beckons.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Some beautiful photos, Chris, and a lovely little walk :D
You need TWO packs of sweets, at least, next time you and Sarah go walking :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Yep,winters a comin,nice to see you & your good lady out walking Chris,cracking pictures as always,not sure Sarah will thank you for the one"hoovering" up your goddies though

Cheers Gammy, I've not told her it's online yet....maybe I won't :lol:
trekker53 wrote:Some great forest pics there Chris. A gentle warm up for when the real winter beckons.

Cheers T53, Still a few months before the full winter kicks in...but I've already got the new winter boots....just in case :wink:
SusieThePensioner wrote:Some beautiful photos, Chris, and a lovely little walk :D
You need TWO packs of sweets, at least, next time you and Sarah go walking :lol:

Thanks Susie, I think the more sweets I carry the more she will eat :shock: she's like a kid :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

Wow, it's white again!!! :lol: :lol:
Lovely to see snow, looks like the cold season has arrived early this year... It actually snowed in Beauly on Friday but with temperature about +5 C, no chance that snow could have lasted.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:35 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Wow, it's white again!!! :lol: :lol: Lovely to see snow, looks like the cold season has arrived early this year... It actually snowed in Beauly on Friday but with temperature about +5 C, no chance that snow could have lasted.

We are certainly moving toward winter weather now BP, we didn't get above freezing this week. Clocks go back on November 4th over here so we have a week of 'official' autumn time left :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby quoman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Chris.. Another wee cracker of a report and photo's are stunning as usual.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby richardkchapman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Brrr that looks cold. Beautiful photos.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:09 am

quoman wrote:Hi Chris.. Another wee cracker of a report and photo's are stunning as usual.

Cheers Quoman, short and sweet this one but lovely nonetheless :wink:

richardkchapman wrote:Brrr that looks cold. Beautiful photos.

Thanks RC, it was bloody cold up top, only -9 but the wind chill made it feel much worse :shock: best start getting used to it though :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland