walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

El Teide - but not today

El Teide - but not today

Postby coachmacca » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Date walked: 24/10/2012

Time taken: 8.5

Ascent: 1400m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I started getting into hills it quickly became obvious like everything I do that I wanted to go higher, harder, longer sooner... like trying to do the Eye of the needle at Ben Arthur before quite getting my head for exposure (failure in the last 4 feet or so).

Then the wife and I were looking to book an Autumn week away (first proper week off all year) and after scrapping Banff and Yellowstone (for hiking) late in the day we plumped for some local sun in Tenerife.. then I noticed its a volcano...

El Teide!

Ill let the below pics tell the story. We set off just before dawn , climbed for 5.5 hours and the last bit wee bit was very hard... due to altitude every 20m walking needed a rest stop for 4 or 5 breaths of thin air. We were in full gloves, hat, fleeces, long trousers, the lot, due to the cold and wind and most importantly (and heart breaking).. we were beaten. After reaching the Rambleta at 3600m above sea level the winds were simply too high to try the last 200m :(

I spent the next dew days very down about it, exhilarating though it was I failed to summit.

Terrain was astounding, climb was great, the Refugio was an unexpectedly luxurious sight (even had wifi !) - think ill stay in it next time..

I'm coming back. I'm doing it. That is certain! Enjoy the pics,

DSCF1637.JPG
Dawn Treader (or the wife as I call her)

DSCF1668.JPG
Initial terrain was not like Scotland!

DSCF1688.JPG
The Refugio (better than some hotels!)

DSCF1694.JPG
The lava lined path after the Refugio

DSCF1707.JPG
Views were astounding

DSCF1683.JPG
The scale of the caldera is breathtaking

DSCF1698.JPG
Looking North to Puerto Cruz

DSCF1722.JPG
At the Rambleta .. our point of return :(

DSCF1732.JPG
Last "On top of the world" shot

DSCF1736.JPG
The lava lined road home
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:6
Grahams:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: El Teide - but not today

Postby ChrisW » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 am

wow - beautiful hike, don't beat yourself up about missing the little bit at the top you still got a wonderful hike in stunning scenery and great weather too (Been snowing in Banff this week) Lovely photos - great hike :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 am

Well done on getting so high ! I got breathless just crossing the car park.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Well done on getting so high ! I got breathless just crossing the car park.

ha ha me too

cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 am

Wow...some amazing shots there LH and really nice to see some areas you don't usually see on here! Like others have said I wouldn't worry about not getting to the top - have had that frustration myself - it'll be there another day! :clap:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby coachmacca » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks all - was a great new experience and truly stunning views, photo's just don't do it justice! :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 pm

I keep suggesting to Mrs D that we should go on holiday to Tenerife....... :think: :think: :think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So far she's not falling for it. :? :? :?

That refugio looks cool. Certainly a step up in class from Culra and the likes. :lol: Maybe I could suggest taking my S4 Spanish class there on a field trip....... :think: :think: :think:
Graeme D

Munros:230   Corbetts:115
Grahams:68   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby coachmacca » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:51 am

Graeme D wrote:I keep suggesting to Mrs D that we should go on holiday to Tenerife....... :think: :think: :think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So far she's not falling for it. :? :? :?

That refugio looks cool. Certainly a step up in class from Culra and the likes. :lol: Maybe I could suggest taking my S4 Spanish class there on a field trip....... :think: :think: :think:

Tenerife is actually a beautiful place - avoid the worst of the tourist traps (Los America's etc) but places like Los Gigantes, Vilaflor (mountains) and Orotava Valley are stunning - the extensive Teide National park has loads of walks/trails as well as Teide itself . The refugio is amazing! It even has wifi lol

Its cheap to get to, weather is great and the walking is ace ! (I should be on commission) :wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland