walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunday Stroll at Fountains Abbey

Sunday Stroll at Fountains Abbey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Date walked: 11/11/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 50m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast was looking good for Sunday (11th) so we arranged to drive south down the A1 to Ripon and meet up with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal :D "A World Heritage Site, set in 323 hectares (800 acres) of beautiful countryside, offering an unparalleled opportunity to appreciate the range of England's heritage".
FountainsAbbey6WH.jpg

We parked at the West gate as this is where the Disabled Spaces (plenty of them) are located. There are a variety of walks of varying lengths that can be tackled on the whole estate (owned by the National Trust) but, we decided to just keep to the most straightforward of these. I was in the wheelchair and our granddaughter in her pushchair :D The weather was sunny but chilly and there were a lot of people, particularly families, all making the most of such a lovely day.
As snug as a bugWH.jpg

In 1132, a small group of monks from the Benedictine Abbey in York and one from Whitby left their abbeys to begin a more strict way of monastic life of the Cistercian order. They were taken in by the Archbishop of Ripon who was sympathetic to their cause. However, he found the monks were a strain on his resources and gave them a piece of land by the River Skell on which to build their new abbey called Fountains. It was described as a place of desolation situated between steep cliffs and rocks, more suited as a retreat for wild beasts than humans :D
Fountains Abbey4WH.jpg

Over 400 years later, when Henry VIII demanded the closure of the Abbey, the monks left behind what has now become the most complete Cistercian abbey remains in the country.
Fountains Abbey1WH.jpg

After having eaten our lunch at the tearooms by Fountains Mill we set off on the path on the left of the Abbey heading towards Studley Royal Water Garden. The path passes close to the Abbey and undulates through the woodland that forms part of the Studley Estate.
Fountains Abbey6WH.jpg

"Studley Royal Water Garden was a breathtaking vision of John Aislabie and his son William."
In the early 18th-century John Aislabie had great plans to impress visitors to his Yorkshire estate and so turned the wild and wooded valley of the river Skell into one of England’s most spectacular Georgian water gardens.
Water Garden1WH.jpg

Inspired by the work of the great French landscape gardeners, the two gifted amateurs created the Water Garden with its formal, geometric design and extraordinary vistas; including the much photographed Temple of Piety :D
Water Garden and Temple of PietyWH.jpg

We then reached the Studley Royal entrance and, surprise surprise, we stopped at the tearooms there for a cup of tea and cake :lol: After that we set off on the return journey on the other side of the valley. This meant crossing a narrow wooden bridge at the end of the Water Gardens which caused a few worrying moments as the wheelchair got stuck on it :lol: Not to worry though, having recently endured several far worse situations whilst in Scotland, this was a piece of cake :wink: The path on this side of the valley was also, not so good for the wheelchair but, manageable!
Water Garden3WH.jpg

There were lots of beautiful autumnal colours on both sides of the valley.
Water Garden4WH.jpg

Beech TreeWH.jpg

Towards the end of this section I had to get out and walk up a steep slope but this meant, at least, I benefitted from a bit of exercise :lol: An excellent day out and, such a good job I remembered the blanket to put over my legs as the temperature dropped considerably once the sun had gone in :D
Fountains Abbey2WH.jpg
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: Sunday Stroll at Fountains Abbey

Postby rjpatyou » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 pm

its a great part of the world and fantastic colours at this time of year as your pics show :D
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 pm

fabbydozy Susie, this is a place where we used to take visitors from abroad when we were growing up. lots of fond memories for me and it's the best time of year to enjoy Studley Royal. your autumn pictures are smashing. the Abbey remains are well worth a mosey about, there is a superb vaulted roof and an amazing chimney you can look up in the old warming room, and you can also visit where the lavatories used to be over the river.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:14 pm

For me Fountains Abbey is one of the finest sights you can see in the Autumn. Something you've captured perfectly in your pics. I love the pic of the temple of "Pie for tea" as me and Grace call it :)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby morag1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Great report and photos Susie, especially the Temple of Piety :D

Reminds me of a happy family holiday in Yorkshire when we paid a visit to Fountains Abbey. I had forgotten what it looked like so great to read this report. Your granddaughter is a lovely, happy wee girl :D
morag1

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Stunning autum colours Susan.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby garyhortop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 pm

What a beautiful wander Susie, loved the photo's the autumn colours are stunning!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Lenore » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh I love the colors of autumn! :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Lenore wrote:Oh I love the colors of autumn!
Glad you like them, the beech trees were fantastic :D
rjpatyou wrote:its a great part of the world and fantastic colours at this time of year as your pics show

Thank you :D With the sun out some of the trees looked ablaze!
mrssanta wrote:fabbydozy Susie, this is a place where we used to take visitors from abroad when we were growing up. lots of fond memories for me and it's the best time of year to enjoy Studley Royal. your autumn pictures are smashing. the Abbey remains are well worth a mosey about, there is a superb vaulted roof and an amazing chimney you can look up in the old warming room, and you can also visit where the lavatories used to be over the river.
Thank you, and yes, it's good to have a wander round the Abbey. Haven't done that for years and want to take some photos of the detail of the stonework. However, we didn't have time so will wait for the next visit :D
johnkaysleftleg wrote:For me Fountains Abbey is one of the finest sights you can see in the Autumn. Something you've captured perfectly in your pics. I love the pic of the temple of "Pie for tea" as me and Grace call it

Thanks John, and "Pie for tea" sounds a great idea :lol:
morag1 wrote:Great report and photos Susie, especially the Temple of Piety

Reminds me of a happy family holiday in Yorkshire when we paid a visit to Fountains Abbey. I had forgotten what it looked like so great to read this report. Your granddaughter is a lovely, happy wee girl

Thanks Morag, glad you enjoyed the report :D
gammy leg walker wrote:Stunning autum colours Susan.
Thank you Willie :D
garyhortop wrote:What a beautiful wander Susie, loved the photo's the autumn colours are stunning!!

Thank you Gary. The beech trees were particularly good :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm

What a lovely day out Susie, and those colours wow - stunning, perfect timing for a perfect day. I miss having such historic buildings around every corner (as we have at home) I felt the same when in the US too. I see them with fresh eyes from over here :wink: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 pm

ChrisW wrote:What a lovely day out Susie, and those colours wow - stunning, perfect timing for a perfect day. I miss having such historic buildings around every corner (as we have at home) I felt the same when in the US too. I see them with fresh eyes from over here

Thanks Chris :D The only thing missing was a mountain with snow on it to go with the blue sky, sun and red leaves :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Nice pictures as always Susie, one of my favourite places
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:12 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Nice pictures as always Susie, one of my favourite places

Thanks, Geoff, nice to hear from you :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Phooooey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Stunning photography and colours. It's been many years since we've been that way. Looking at your photos maybe too long.
Must find more walks with tearooms in the middle too ! :lol: :lol:
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Phooooey wrote:Stunning photography and colours. It's been many years since we've been that way. Looking at your photos maybe too long.
Must find more walks with tearooms in the middle too !

Thanks Craig :D Perhaps we could join forces and produce a book of walks based around tearooms :crazy: :lol: :lol: You do the walks and I'll source the tearooms :wink: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland