walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Watch Hill and Binsey

Watch Hill and Binsey

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:49 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey

Date walked: 16/11/2012

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off nice and early yesterday morning, destination the Lake District. After seven hours of driving, I arrived at Cockermouth, from where I ascended Watch Hill. I parked just off the road, a short distance away from Cockermouth school.

Hill: Watch Hill [Setmurthy Common]
Date: Friday 16th November 2012
Company: Just myself
Distance: 6km, Ascent: 185m

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

After walking a short distance along the road, I followed the bridleway heading towards Watch Hill.

Outskirts of Cockermouth:

Start of bridleway towards Watch Hill:

The underfoot conditions were a bit variable, a mix of nice short grass and mud. The entire walk was through grassy farmland, with lots of sheep.

Looking back to Cockermouth:

View towards Watch Hill:

The weather was nicer than expected and was mild enough to walk in a t-shirt.

Following the dyke:

Looking back to Cockermouth:

However, the weather didn’t look quite so nice further South.

View towards the Lakes:

I visited several knolls en-route to the summit, which is at the far end of the ridge.

On the flat ridge to the summit:

Approaching the summit of Watch Hill:

View from the featureless summit of Watch Hill:

From the summit, I returned to the car via the same route and then drove to one of the potential starting points for an ascent of Binsey.

Hill: Binsey
Date: Friday 16th November 2012
Company: Just myself
Distance: 4.25km, Ascent: 310m

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

I opted to ascend Binsey from the West, as I had read that this was the nicest route.

Start of Public Right of Way towards Binsey:

The initial track leading towards Binsey was very muddy.

Binsey:

I was pleased to find that a path continued beyond the end of the Right of Way, marked on the map.

Hills beyond Bassenthwaite Lake:

Bassenthwaite Lake:

Ascending Binsey:

On approaching the summit of Binsey, I noticed two people parascending above nearby Whittas Park.

Parascending above Whittas Park:

On reaching the summit area, I visited each of the cairns, the shelter and the trig point. I also had a very brief chat with two other walkers at the summit.

Looking towards the summit from a nearby cairn:

Summit trig point, shelter and cairn:

Skiddaw from the summit of Binsey:

From the summit, I returned to the car via the same route. Binsey was my first ever Wainwright – a list I do NOT intend trying to complete!

Following the ascent of Binsey, I drove to Swinside for a bit of reconnaissance. I drove round the entire hill, unfortunately confirming that every possible access point has signs “Private – No Public Right of Way”. I may have to do this one in the dark :wink:

Access rights in England do seem to be pants compared with Scotland. I’m not keen on having to follow Rights of Way and I don't like being denied access to hills owned by GOML Lords :(.
foggieclimber

Re: Watch Hill and Binsey

Postby garyhortop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:43 pm

A nice wander Foggie and some really nice shots across the lakes...looks like you had a really good day for it as well! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Watch Hill and Binsey

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm

What a lovely pair Foggie (oooh eeerr mrs :lol: ) both would be perfect for me and my round top ramblings, the shots of the first one are beautiful, looks like the weather turned a bit for the second, as for access to Swinside - that's just sickening how can they close off a hill completely like that.....perish the thought you might bend the grass blades upon it :roll: If you get back there in the dark......plant a sodding great flag at the top :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland