walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 quick Wainrights

3 quick Wainrights

Postby andy63 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:11 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Hard Knott, Lingmoor Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike

Date walked: 28/11/2012

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 854m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part1: Lingmoor Fell

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance 2.8km, ascent 263m, time taken 1h15m.

I started from the expensive car park at Blea Tarn (£3.40 for 2 hours) From Blea Tarn House there's a good path all the way up, although it's quite steep - I had to stop a couple of times to get my breath.
Although it isn't a very big hill the summit is an excellent viewpoint (on a good day).
Some views from Lingmoor Fell:
001.jpg
Bowfell and Langdale Pikes

003.jpg
Eastern Fells

005.jpg
Windermere

From Blea Tarn I drove over the steep and narrow Wrynose Pass and up to the top of the even steeper and narrower Hardnose Pass for the next hill.

Part2: Hard Knott

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance 2.5km, ascent 263m, time taken 1h10m.

The path starts near a pile of stones at the top of the pass.It seemed like a clear path all the way up but on the way down the path seemed to disappear and I ended up going the wrong way down a steep muddy hillside.
From the top of Hard Knott I could see the Isle of Man quite clearly, but it doesn't really show in the photo.
009.jpg
Irish Sea from Hard Knott

011.jpg
Sca Fell

013.jpg
Hard Knott Roman fort

It was still quite early after climbing those two,so I drove back down the Hardknott Pass and up to the top of the Wrynose to try another hill (or two).

Part3: Cold Pike

Distance 4.75km, ascent 371m, time taken 2h.

The path starts from a big stone with 'Lancashire' written on it (this used to be the boundary before they changed the counties).There is a direct path from here to Cold Pike but I missed it,and the good stony path I followed went to the wrong side of Red Tarn, so I had to carry on up toward Crinkle Crags before turning back to climb Cold Pike.
Views from Cold Pike:

017.jpg
Crinkle Crags

019.jpg
Pike of Blisco

021.jpg
Cold Pike summit

If I'd had more time I could have walked across to the top of Pike o'Blisco before going back down to the Wrynose Pass.Unfortunately I wasn't sure if I could do that before it went dark, so I had to leave Pike o Blisco for another time.
The direct path down from Cold Pike was very boggy and indistinct (which is probably why I missed it on the way up.)

A good day out and another 3 in the bag :) .I'd recommend Lingmoor Fell in particular for anyone looking for a short walk with good views.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: 3 quick Wainrights

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 am

wow, beautiful photos Andy. Cracking weather and a dusting of snow on the peaks....what more could you want, all three of these look pretty damn good to me :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby colgregg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm

I could see it was a great day In the lakes yesterday. I was on grey nag in the north pennines and the views were fantastic all round
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby garyhortop » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:28 am

Wow...looks like a really good day out and some amazing views there! Well done Andy you picked the right day for it!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland