walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra Round

Blencathra Round

by Phooooey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 01/12/2012

Time taken: 5.8

Distance: 16.4 km

Ascent: 994m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Blencathra Round

Postby morag1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Great photos of a fabulous walk :clap: Not sure how I managed to miss this, think I enjoyed myself a little too much over Christmas :lol:
morag1

Postby Sheepy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Great report. I even managed a wander myself over Wansfell on Boxing Day.

I've never done Blencathra and fancy doing it this year via Sharp Edge. However, after doing the CMD Arete last year my wife says she is NEVER walking along any narrow rocky ridges EVER again with me in her life. So looks like i'll have to do it on my own.

I would offer to swap my wife for John, but that seems like a rough deal to me!

Had a a quick sprint up Red Screes in December from Kirkstone Pass. There was enough snow on top for me and the Mrs to use a survival bag as a makeshift toboggan. Great fun!!!
Sheepy
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   
Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:203   Islands:3

Postby garyhortop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Well Done Phoooey.....will clearly have to invest in a more striking coat for my dosgs!! :wink: :D

Makes me more determined now to make Blencathra my next trip when in the lakes....have been putting it off for way too long! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Phooooey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Woo Hoo ! I'm getting Damson a lottery ticket this month as this is her second prize in 2013. :clap:
Runner Up for our blog, although lets face it, Damson is probably the real deal breaker ! :wink:
She also won South Lakeland Hotel's Pet Idol over Christmas and won us a night in the hotel she was named after ... The Damson Dene where Ellie and I were married in 2007 as well as a "doggy bag".
Didn't get out over Christmas as with the family in Leominster but hopefully pick back up the reigns this weekend over Sale & Ling Fell. Plan is to complete the remaining 29 Wainwrights on 21st June celebrating my birthday iin hopefully summer weather on Rannerdale Knotts with a champagne picnic joined by a myriad of friends and family who want to join in my last.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Circles » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm

I did Ling and Sale Fell last weekend...nice little morning walks and added the Birketts as well...will you start picking off what remaining Birketts you have once you have compleated?
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Circles,
Got myself a GPS for Xmas so both completing Wainwrights, Birketts and geocaching this year. That should keep me busy and away from the housework ... lol :wink: Did these on 19 Jan 13 eventually. In process of writing blog today. Just a pity its the only part of UK that didn't get snow over this week. Only a little white on the tops.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby The English Alpinist » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:46 am

Danson looks very proud of his summits! Nice walk, great photographs.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland